You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-25 16:39:28

epinephrine

Inserting bbcode commands with <Ctrl> or <Alt> +{letter} commands

Hi,

I don't know if I missed it, but I am used to be able to enter commands like <Ctrl>+b (or  <Alt>+b) for inserting [ b] and matching [ /b], or for wrapping the selected text with the appropriate tag, from other forums. Same for i, q, etc. E.g. in xda forums you have that with <Ctrl> and in the gentoo forums with <Alt>. Also they provide buttons so that you can select a text, press the url button (Or type <Ctrl>+u) and enter an url this text should hyperlink at. I find that very useful and speeds up writing while highlighting important parts of the text... Has this already been discussed? I used the search function in the forum discussion area, but didn't find a similar discussion.

Cheers

#2 2012-10-25 16:41:37

karol
Archivist

Re: Inserting bbcode commands with <Ctrl> or <Alt> +{letter} commands

The WYSIWYG buttons have been discussed and deemed unnecessary.
You can use your text editor and wrap the bbcode markers this way, if you want.

#3 2012-10-25 16:49:04

epinephrine

I primarily voted for the shortcuts. I don't need the buttons either, but the shortcuts would be very comfortable and speed-enhancing in my opinion. You feel and miss  it when you write in other forums where you use them all the time wink

#4 2012-10-25 16:51:03

karol
Archivist

I've just checked and xda doesn't seem to be using fluxbb as their forum software - are they?
Arch doesn't modify upstream code and we're using vanilla fluxbb, so if they don't ship something, we don't use it.

#5 2012-10-25 16:51:39

epinephrine

A search in the fluxbb.org mods shows 4 plugins for that, (unfortunately) all with buttons included.

#6 2012-10-25 16:53:57

epinephrine

They(xda) don't, I didn't claim that, it was just about the functionality. I didn't know that Arch sticks to vanilla fluxbb code. Now I know.

#7 2012-10-25 17:06:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

you can however ask the fluxbb devs to make it default on their feature/bug tracker and then the Arch forums will have it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2012-10-25 17:11:09

karol
Archivist

epinephrine wrote:

They(xda) don't, I didn't claim that

I was just pointing out that you're comparing apples to oranges :-)

I know about the available modifications, I had them already bookmarked, but I personally don't need them, so I won't be campaigning for their inclusion.
I'm not against them either.

#9 2012-10-28 00:55:30

epinephrine

I filed a feature request in their forums. I really seem to be the only person who likes shortcuts (instead of buttons). Well, maybe because I use emacs for writing LaTeX code wink
It looks like FluxBB 2.0 is getting wysiwyg buttons, which is apparently demanded now.

#10 2012-10-28 02:44:35

fsckd
Forum Fellow

I want vim bindings. smile

What you can do is get a browser plugin that opens text entry boxes in external editors. For example, type in emacs before posting.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#11 2012-10-28 13:48:28

epinephrine

yeah, better than nothing, a bit clumsy, but still something  wink
I found "it's all text!" but haven't tried it yet. I also contacted the dev of the FF extension "BBCodextra" which provides right-click context menus for inserting bbcode. I asked if he could add shortcuts to his extension, he liked the idea, but doesn't have time for coding any more... I might do it on my own, but have never coded a FF extension, so it wouldn't be a 30 minute job.

Board footer