You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-04 14:41:42

linqcan

DHCP client does not work poperly after systemd and Gnome 3.6 upgrade

Upgraded my system today from Gnome 3.4 to 3.6 (and systemd was updated as well), and since then acquiring an IP address using DHCP does not work anymore.
I am using IPv4 only internally, but neither dhclient or dhcpcd manages to get an IPv4 address.
It seems like IPv6 is priority one, and beacuse there is no IPv6 DHCP server available NetworkManager aborts the whole setup process.

To make sure that IPv6 should not be considered, I have changed "method" in NetworkManager to "Ignore" for IPv6.

I have also tried to downgrade NM to 0.9.6.0 from 0.9.6.4 (since that version works on another, not upgraded, machine), without any result.

Also switched dhclient to dhcpcd, without any result.

The machine is a "pure" systemd machine.

DHCP works for other devices in the network.

Versions:
systemd 195-2
NetworkManager 0.9.6.4
isc-dhclient-4.2.3-P2

I have no issues on a system where following versions are running:
systemd 189-4
NetworkManager 0.9.6.0
dhcpcd 5.6.2

Log: http://pastebin.com/2wMC0JLe

#2 2012-11-04 14:57:47

linqcan

Re: DHCP client does not work poperly after systemd and Gnome 3.6 upgrade

Nevermind, 5 mintues after submitting this post my DHCP server crashed. After a reboot everything works accordingly.

Can I delete this thread or do I label it as "Solved"?

#3 2012-11-04 17:33:16

ewaller
Administrator

I'll move it to dustbin for you.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2012-11-04 20:02:21

linqcan

Maybe I was a bit too fast to jump to a conclusion.

After doing some testing it seems like my "new" Arch setup is crashing my DHCP server. I can lease once, but if I suspend the machine and wake it up, the new DHCP request/negotiation crashes the DHCP server.
This did not happen before the upgrade (for SW versions see original post).

Anyone else who has experienced this?

The DHCP "server" is a DLink DIR-600 B2 2.05, which has worked flawlessly until this upgraded machine came along.

#5 2012-11-08 13:07:58

linqcan

Think I have identified the issue now.

Neither dhcpcd or dhclient is sending the host name properly to the DHCP server anymore. I had an IP address reserved in the DHCP server for my host and after deleting this reservation my host is able to acquire an IP (dynamic) address. The reserved static address could never be acquired.

Conclusion: dhclient and dhcpcd is not sending the host name as before, causing the DHCP server to get stuck (while waiting for the host name) whenever a NIC with a reserved IP address is requesting an IP address.

Downgrading the dhcp clients has not yet worked, so there might be some underlying component that is causing the problem. ath5k? systemd?

Board footer