You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-12 11:09:18

lmello

Nautilus 'Browse Network' and firewall

Here's the thing.

Since GNOME 3.6, I have always found an icon named as my machine. I clicked on it and then a popup message asking for my password showed up. I entered it and saw my home folder. I assume it was an SSH connection. Anyway as I installed gvfs-smb to get my Samba working this useful icon disappeared.

What could've happened?

PS: My router seems to have a problem so my desktop machine (I cannot even ping it with the firewall disabled) wasn't shown at first... I assume it would show up.
PPS:  Fixed the firewall and my desktop machine showed up.

Last edited by lmello (2012-11-13 12:15:56)

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#2 2012-11-12 23:22:45

lmello

Re: Nautilus 'Browse Network' and firewall

I found what happened. It's the firewall. Which port(s) should I open?

EDIT: Eureka!

I *guess* you must open UDP ports 68 (dhcpc) and 5353 (zeroconf) for it to work under a firewall. Can somebody confirm this to me and possibly post something in the Wiki about it?

EDIT #2:

Sorry for being late, you just have to open udp port 5353.

Last edited by lmello (2013-03-08 23:32:32)

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

Board footer