You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-14 05:54:16

DolphinTsar

[SOLVED] High Speed Connection but Significant Lag Browsing

I've been having more and more issues browsing lately and have searched high and low without much luck. I feel like a noob asking a question like this, but I really don't think have anything else consuming bandwidth.

I've got a Dell e4200 laptop w/ Broadcom wireless (using b43 driver) and am pretty militant about keeping a lean machine. Chromium is the largest package on my machine. I'm running 800mhz with 3GB RAM; not exactly high performance but not that bad.

Running speedtest.net here on my home wireless network, it takes Chomium about 8 seconds to fully populate the site, then returns results of:
ping: 20ms
down: 10+ Mbps
up: 3+ Mbps

Thinking the issue was a bloated browser, I ran a traceroute to www.google.com and each step was showing up as 20-50ms. Still, each step of output was taking a second or two for each step to show up in the terminal.

Any thoughts for where I could look to diagnose this? I'm stumped. Let me know if I can share any logs.
Cheers

Last edited by DolphinTsar (2012-11-14 09:09:56)

arch + gnome on dell xps13

#2 2012-11-14 07:06:25

skunktrader

Re: [SOLVED] High Speed Connection but Significant Lag Browsing

Could very well be a DNS problem.  Try to override whatever DNS server you are currently using by specifying another server in /etc/resolv.conf    (Try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to see if the problem persists)

#3 2012-11-14 08:42:03

hunterthomson
Website

Well, first if you can plug in to the same router with a cable and test speeds with that, you would then know if it is a wireless things or not.

Then ya, DNS. Really just do that anyway

echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8\nnameserver 8.8.4.4' > /etc/resolve.conf

If you do still have the problem with the direct cable connection. Try FireFox with NoScirpt & Ad Block Pluss.

Then report back...

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-14 08:57:31)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#4 2012-11-14 09:09:09

DolphinTsar

Y'all are good. Funny because I was going to report that it felt like the outbound was the slow part. In fact it was.

Conflicting legacy network managers seem to have created conflict in the resolv.conf about appropriate nameservers. Still gets overwritten with old, bad nameservers on each reboot so I'll likely just reinstall all network services to wipe the old hooks (unless you guys can suggest where those are hiding). But you guys were right about the sourse of the problem so marking as solved.

Many thanks!

arch + gnome on dell xps13

#5 2012-11-14 09:18:41

skunktrader

Try the all knowing, super, awesome wiki before reinstalling anything

#6 2012-11-15 00:25:54

keepitsimpleengineer

I had a similar problem on a fast machine with high-speed internet.

It took a while but we finally worked out the kinks.  Thread at [Solved]Network problems loading pages and with ping, DNS lookup?

Summary:  Web scripts downloaded and their execution eating up time, drudgereport being one of the worst.  Script blocking resulted in remarkable speed increases.

and Kudos to gsgleason

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

Board footer