You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-13 20:00:17

ichase

{Solved} Can not successfully boot into systemd

I will first start off by saying I have read though the following threads:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151633

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151885

And have tried to follow the Systemd wiki.  I started out by switching to the new initscripts configuration system.  I have the current systemd package installed.  I then installed systemd-sysvcompat which of course had me remove sysvinit.  I then removed initscripts which moved my rc.conf to rc.conf.pacsave.

I had to manually create /etc/hostname, /etc/locale.conf, and /etc/vconsole.conf as (mentioned in a previous post) I could not do with any "ctl" commands as I had not yet booted into a systemd setup.

This also caused an issue with trying to set up the timezone as:

# timedatectl set-timezone America/New_York

resulted in:

Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

So at this point I decided to try a reboot and I get:

Welcome to emergency mode!  Type "systemctl defualt" or ^D to enter default mode. 
Type "journelctl -b" to view system logs.  Type "systemctl reboot" to reboot. 
Give root password for maintenance 
(or typed Control-D to continue): [    71.520184] radeon_cp:  Failed to load firmware 
"radeon/R300_cp.bin" 
[        71.520205] [drm:r100_cp_init] *ERROR* failed to load firmware! 
[        71.520224] radeon 0000:01:05.0: failed initializing CP (-2) 
[        71.520237] radeon 0000:01:05.0: Disabling GPU acceleration

I entered emergency mode which brought me to the root terminal.  I first attempted to mv rc.conf.pacnew to rc.conf expecting there to possibly be an issue with the daemons I had running or attempted to run but after reboot I got the same thing.  Not sure what is going on with the radeon firmware because it's obviously there.

So I re-imaged the hard drive and decided to try again.  This time I installed systemd-sysvcompat (removing sysvinit) and DID NOT remove initscripts.  I rebooted and got the exact same thing as above. So at this point I am at a loss of ideas with moving forward.  Why is systemd-sysvcompat causing the failure of the radeon firmware to load? I use Arch on my laptop, desktop as well as my server.  Systemd is coming so I am trying with the laptop first to convert to pure systemd.  If I am just missing a step please let me know and I appologize for posting.  But hopefully others have run into this issue and could possibly give me a nudge in the right direction.  It could be I am reading the wiki wrong or just not interpreting it correctly.

Thanks in advance for your guidance and assistance,

All the best,

Ian

Last edited by ichase (2012-11-16 16:55:10)

#2 2012-11-13 23:12:57

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: {Solved} Can not successfully boot into systemd

Why is it dropping you in emergency mode? Does it give you reason?

The messages that follow relate to your graphics card driver, so (and I sincerely doubt this will help at all) try blacklisting the radeon module in your bootloaders kernel arguments.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … and_line_2

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-11-14 01:05:59

hiciu

In emergency mode can you access /usr/lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin? Could you post your fstab and /proc/mounts (from emergency mode)? You don't have /usr on separate partition, do you?

#4 2012-11-14 19:12:51

ichase

WorMzy, hiciu - Thank you for taking time to respond.  Due to life getting in the way, I have not been able to get on my Arch laptop and get the information requested.  But I can answer some of your questions.
WorMzy, I'm not sure why it's dumping me into Emergency Mode and does not give any particular reason.  My first post shows what is on the screen once it goes into emergency mode on boot up.  I can give the suggestion of blacklisting the module and see if that makes a difference.  Often times the one thing you think would have no effect ends up solving the problem.  Certainly have nothing to loose giving it a try.

hiciu - Once I type in the root password I have full access to all folders so I have no doubt I will have access to /usr/lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin.  I re-imaged my partition so I will need to re-do everything I did to get to that point and I will post the fstab and /proc/mounts from emergency mode as you requested.  To answer your question, no, I do not have any of my folders on a seperate partition including my home folder.  All resides strictly on sda5.

Thanks again,

Ian

#5 2012-11-14 23:42:48

ichase

Results of /etc/fstab

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
/dev/sr0               /media/cd     auto      auto                0      0
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0
/dev/sda5 / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda6            /media/data     ext3        auto              0      2
/dev/sda7    swap       swap                     defaults          0      0

Results of /proc/mount from emergency mode:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
dev /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=967248k,nr_inodes=219703,mode=755 0 0
run /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755 0 0
/dev/sda5 / ext3 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio 0 0
systemd-1 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc autofs rw,relatime,fd=25,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
hugetlbfs /dev/hugepages hugetlbfs rw,relatime 0 0
mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw,relatime 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0

I can also access /usr/lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin

The question came up in regards to /usr on a seperate partition.  It may help to note, that sda1 has Windows XP installed in which I have not booted into for well over a year.  sda6 is just an additional data partition.

Last edited by ichase (2012-11-15 00:37:39)

#6 2012-11-15 00:45:12

ichase

Wanted to add some additional info.  Prior to going into emergency mode I get the following:

[        6.719325] systemd[1]:  Socket service syslog.service not loaded, refusing.
[      6.719607] systemd[1]: Failed to listen on Syslog Socket.

Once I login as root my wifi firmware fails as well.

[     133.386804] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
[    133.387136] b43-phy0 ERROR:  You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version.  Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

Not sure if this additional info will help but wanted to supply as much info as possible.

Thanks again in advance for your guidance, assistance, and education

Ian

#7 2012-11-15 05:05:33

bgc1954

There are several threads about syslog-ng and systemd, please search the forum.  It seems that you don't have the firmware installed for your wifi card.  Again, please search the forum.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#8 2012-11-15 05:17:27

10PinkPanther

Hi!

You have to install b43-fwcutter and firmware.I also had to do it becouse of my Broadcom 4312.Check the wiki under wireless setup.

Last edited by 10PinkPanther (2012-11-15 05:18:02)

#9 2012-11-15 10:09:44

ichase

bgc1954 and 10PinkPanther - Thank you for taking the time to respond but with all do respect, I don't have an issue with either the video or wifi firmware working just fine under init.  It's when I install systemd-sysvcompat (which removed sysvinit) does this firmware seem not to be found?

Prior to starting this transition from init to pure systemd, I performed all updates then cloned my Arch partition.  Each time I attempt to transition and I can't boot into my OS, I re-image the partition so I am right back to where I started.  I will then take advice from the helpful users here or if I read something else where, try it, it fails, I take notes, and then I re-image my partition again.  Each time, video and wifi work like a champ.

As I progress through this issue, I am looking more as you mentioned bgc1954 as syslog-ng could possible be the issue.  I plan on reading more through the forums to hopefully find a thread that matches this issue.

#10 2012-11-15 13:21:14

hiciu

ichase wrote:

I can also access /usr/lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin

So message 'radeon_cp:  Failed to load firmware "radeon/R300_cp.bin"' must be coming from initramfs. The thing is, in mine initramfs I have that file...

$ mkdir tmp
$ cd tmp
$ bsdtar -x -f /boot/initramfs-linux.img
$ ls
bin     dev  hooks  init_functions  new_root  run   sys  usr      keymap.bin
config  etc  init   lib             proc      sbin  tmp  VERSION  keymap.utf8
$ find | grep R300
./usr/lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin

Could you post your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and output from "bsdtar -t -f /boot/initramfs-linux.img"? "dmesg" and "journalctl -b" output (from recovery mode) could be helpful too.

edit: I know I'm focusing on that radeon message, not on successful booting; one problem at a time, we will get to systemd.

Last edited by hiciu (2012-11-15 13:23:48)

#11 2012-11-15 16:30:36

ichase

Thanks hiciu, I agree it's best to look at one issue at a time and move forward from there.  Hopefully this evening I can get on and provide you with the requested outputs.

All the best,

Ian

#12 2012-11-16 03:26:20

ichase

hiciu,
Here is what you requested taken from emergency mode:
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

# vim:set ft=sh
# MODULES
# The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
# run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
# in this array.  For instance:
#     MODULES="piix ide_disk reiserfs"
MODULES=""

# BINARIES
# This setting includes any additional binaries a given user may
# wish into the CPIO image.  This is run last, so it may be used to
# override the actual binaries included by a given hook
# BINARIES are dependency parsed, so you may safely ignore libraries
BINARIES=""

# FILES
# This setting is similar to BINARIES above, however, files are added
# as-is and are not parsed in any way.  This is useful for config files.
# Some users may wish to include modprobe.conf for custom module options
# like so:
#    FILES="/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf"
FILES=""

# HOOKS
# This is the most important setting in this file.  The HOOKS control the
# modules and scripts added to the image, and what happens at boot time.
# Order is important, and it is recommended that you do not change the
# order in which HOOKS are added.  Run 'mkinitcpio -H <hook name>' for
# help on a given hook.
# 'base' is _required_ unless you know precisely what you are doing.
# 'udev' is _required_ in order to automatically load modules
# 'filesystems' is _required_ unless you specify your fs modules in MODULES
# Examples:
##   This setup specifies all modules in the MODULES setting above.
##   No raid, lvm2, or encrypted root is needed.
#    HOOKS="base"
#
##   This setup will autodetect all modules for your system and should
##   work as a sane default
#    HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems"
#
##   This is identical to the above, except the old ide subsystem is
##   used for IDE devices instead of the new pata subsystem.
#    HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide scsi sata filesystems"
#
##   This setup will generate a 'full' image which supports most systems.
##   No autodetection is done.
#    HOOKS="base udev pata scsi sata usb filesystems"
#
##   This setup assembles a pata mdadm array with an encrypted root FS.
##   Note: See 'mkinitcpio -H mdadm' for more information on raid devices.
#    HOOKS="base udev pata mdadm encrypt filesystems"
#
##   This setup loads an lvm2 volume group on a usb device.
#    HOOKS="base udev usb lvm2 filesystems"
#
##   NOTE: If you have /usr on a separate partition, you MUST include the
#    usr, fsck and shutdown hooks.
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems usbinput fsck"

# COMPRESSION
# Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
# is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
#COMPRESSION="gzip"
#COMPRESSION="bzip2"
#COMPRESSION="lzma"
#COMPRESSION="xz"
#COMPRESSION="lzop"

# COMPRESSION_OPTIONS
# Additional options for the compressor
#COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=""

The next items due to length are linked to pastebin;

bsdtar -t -f /boot/initramfs-linux.img
http://pastebin.com/cZEJHVHm

dmesg
http://pastebin.com/MUGs1e9H

journalctl -b
http://pastebin.com/xgbfVJP8

This is a lot to look at so do know that I am very appreciative of you and any one else looking at these files taking your time to help me with this issue.

All the best,

Ian

Edit:  I also wanted to mention that I was able to get rid of the syslog-ng errors previously mentioned by performing:

systemctl enable syslog-ng.service

Then rebooting.  Granted I was still put back in emergency mode but was able to fix one issue.

Last edited by ichase (2012-11-16 03:33:41)

#13 2012-11-16 04:03:01

falconindy
Developer
Website

Please get rid of the /dev/{shm,pts} and /dev/sr0 entries from your /etc/fstab. The /dev entries are handled by systemd (and initscripts, for that matter), and /dev/sr0 failing to mount anything is likely what drops you to the emergency prompt.

#14 2012-11-16 04:15:01

WonderWoofy

just so you know, you don't have to dump your initramfs with bsdtar to see what is inside.  We have the lsinitcpio tool.  Its neat! 

Also, you are telling bgc1594 and 10PinkPanther that you don't have issues with your wireless and video, but I think that they were simply responding to the errors you were posting.  You are asking for help, and then posting all the errors you can find (which is okay... probably good), so logically it would see that you want help eliminating errors from the list.  Isn't that what they were providing?  I think you just may end up puching away quality help with your comments in post #9.

#15 2012-11-16 13:35:37

hiciu

falconindy wrote:

Please get rid of the /dev/{shm,pts} and /dev/sr0 entries from your /etc/fstab. The /dev entries are handled by systemd (and initscripts, for that matter), and /dev/sr0 failing to mount anything is likely what drops you to the emergency prompt.

Nov 15 17:38:50 archbox mount[207]: mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
Nov 15 17:38:50 archbox systemd[1]: media-cd.mount mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Nov 15 17:38:50 archbox systemd[1]: Failed to mount /media/cd.
Nov 15 17:38:50 archbox systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
Nov 15 17:38:50 archbox systemd[1]: Job local-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.

This man speaks the truth smile.

Add 'radeon' to MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and run 'mkinitcpio -p linux'. Somehow it pulls radeon/R300_cp.bin file into initcpio. (I think you will not be able to load fglrx after this, so don't do this if you use amd catalyst).

WonderWoofy wrote:

just so you know, you don't have to dump your initramfs with bsdtar to see what is inside.  We have the lsinitcpio tool.  Its neat!

Nice, I didn't knew about it. Thanks!

edit:

Nov 15 17:40:52 archbox kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
Nov 15 17:40:52 archbox kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
Nov 15 17:40:52 archbox kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

Install https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/b43-firmware/ or read http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri … cefirmware

Last edited by hiciu (2012-11-16 13:41:14)

#16 2012-11-16 17:03:16

ichase

Thank you all for the help.  I am now enjoying a pure systemd Arch Linux.
To let you know what I did and did not do.
When I installed systemd-sysvcompat this time, I went into my rc.conf and commented out my daemons line.  I then proceeded to use systemctl enable name.service for all of the items I had in my daemons area of my rc.conf.

I took falconindy's advice and fixed my /etc/fstab as suggested and rebooted.  Wifi firmware, and video firmware loaded fine and I was up at ttl quickly.

I then proceeded to remove initscripts, rebooted again and all is well.

WonderWoofy - The responses from bgc1594 and 10PinkPanther were more along the lines of RTFM responses.  The thread clearly states that both the wifi and video firmware work fine with init and at the time did not work with systemd.  Not completely sure what fixed that but if you read post #9 you would have seen that I stated "With all do respect"  I was not discrepecful at all and never have been in this forum.

Thanks again everyone for your patience, guidance, and willingness to offer suggestions to a fellow Arch Linux user.

I wish you all the best,

Ian

#17 2012-11-16 17:40:36

bgc1954

With all do respect, maybe my post was a RTFM but obviously you went back to the wikis and redid some steps and it worked--along with falconindy's suggestion.  Sometimes we all miss a step somewhere and things don't work out.  That's why you see constant posts where users are advised to read the wiki's again and retry their steps.

As far as commenting out daemons line in rc.conf, I believe you said, at one point, it was saved as rc.conf.pacsave.  Even if you changed it back to /etc/rc.conf at some point, a pure systemd doesn't read the rc.conf so that step wasn't likely necessary--just my opinion.  Glad it all worked for you.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#18 2012-11-16 17:46:23

ichase

bgc1954 - Thank you.  I printed the systemd wiki on 11/6/2012, I realized that it had actually had some updates since I printed it.

Removing initscripts moved the rc.conf to rc.conf.pacnew.  I moved it back as rc.conf because I have a static IP and my network setup is in rc.conf.  Unless systemd has a way of setting static IPs?  I admit on that one I have not taken the time to look.

All the best,

Ian

#19 2012-11-16 17:49:39

bgc1954

Of course, when you can get around to it, there is definitely documentation and forum posts about that very issue.  It just takes time. wink

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-11-16 18:11:43)

#20 2012-11-16 18:08:44

10PinkPanther

Glad you have everything working now.Enjoy it.

#21 2012-11-16 18:13:04

ichase

Thanks 10PinkPanther.  I must say I am most impressed by the quicker boot times.  Also noticed that Thunar now automounts CDs and External devices.  I installed Thunar-Volman package a while back and spent minimal time trying to get automount to work.  I was just fine mounting devices via the command line. smile

#22 2012-11-16 18:21:57

10PinkPanther

I installed KDE so my boot time is not quick.Plus the hardware is not latest.But this is my first Arch and I'm glad all works well.

#23 2012-11-16 18:33:15

ichase

I'm using older hardware.  Laptop is a Compaq Presario v2000 which has been a great laptop for Arch.  Also with using old hardware (desktop is a piece meal from old parts also running Arch) I use OpenBox because it's nice and minimalistic.  smile  Also, running Arch with no DE or WM on a headless file and print server running SAMBA.  Just secure shell into it from the laptop and perform updates or any maintenance that needs to be done.

Board footer