You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-19 17:07:47

ckl_88

Samba and NAS problem

I'm having this problem with my Vgear Landisk NAS. I use Gnome 2.12 to mount the directories as windows shares. When I view the directory in nautilus and choose view as list, the files are listed but the filesizes are insanely huge. When I press the reload button at the top (I set Nautilus to browser mode or whatever), the directory refreshes and the filesizes change to different insane numbers. When I dual boot into windows XP and share the same directory, the filesizes are okay.

This filesize problem is causing my grief because I really can't do anything with the files once they've been copied to the NAS. Usually, I download pics from my camera to the local hard disk, manipulate them and then store them on the NAS. A typical pic takes up about 1.5 mb on the hard disk, but when copied over to the NAS, the filesize jumps to some huge number in the area of hundred thousand gigabytes. Then when I try to copy it back to the hard disk, I can't because Gnome thinks there isn't enough space, etc. Can't open them up in GIMP or Image Viewer or anything.

I downgraded samba to 3.0.14 to see if it made any difference. The only thing I noticed is that the filesizes are not as huge, but the behaviour is the same when I press reload. Then I tried to downgrade to 3.0.10 using a package I found here:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/arch … t/os/i686/
I could not view the contents of the share. Nautilus kept saying that the contents could not be displayed.

Then I went to the vgear site and found this message:
Due to there are many different version of Linux, so it does not list in one of our support system. We can not confirmed Landisk can work in all different version of Linux but it did work on Linux base, Samba Ver. 2.X

Currently, I've switched back to samba 3.0.20. My question is, does anyone have a package for samba 2.x? Anyone willing to create one for me? And was there a significant difference in the way samba works from 2.x to 3.x?

thanks

#2 2005-10-20 15:45:11

ckl_88

Re: Samba and NAS problem

anybody?

Board footer