You are not logged in.

#26 2012-11-20 16:45:37

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

From https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netflix-desktop/

Ok everyone. The two packages have been updated. wine-silverlight-git is no more as I have simplified it to wine-silverlight. It is now based straight off of wine release version 1.5.17 and a patch is made between Erich Hoovers wine-compholio PPA package at https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive … /+packages and wine-1.5.17 from winehq.org. It appears to fix the internet connection bug on my end. Please test and report.

wine-silverlight is now installed to /opt to prevent it from conflicting with existing wine installs. It also doesn't try to remove any other wine packages that are installed previously. You will need to relogin or restart for the new wine install to be added to your path.

I've also added "WINEDEBUG=-all" to put an end to all the debug output when running netflix-desktop from the terminal.

netflix-desktop now allows you to switch firefox ui on or off, but in my experience the playback seems smoother with the firefox ui enabled.

The x86_64 packages have been updated on my repository as well. i686 packages should be up soon.

Thanks!

Last edited by demizer (2012-11-20 16:49:13)

Offline

#27 2012-11-20 17:28:05

Jristz
Member
From: America/Santiago
Registered: 2011-06-11
Posts: 930

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

downloading the AUR
and then I test it

but is not supposed that netflix use flash or I mistake it, or firefox use the flash from owr system?????????


Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

Offline

#28 2012-11-20 18:03:05

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Jristz wrote:

downloading the AUR
and then I test it

but is not supposed that netflix use flash or I mistake it, or firefox use the flash from owr system?????????

Netflix on the desktop uses Silverlight. The Firefox you see is made for windows included with the Silverlight plugin.

Offline

#29 2012-11-20 23:25:27

ioos
Member
Registered: 2011-01-25
Posts: 123

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

I think the pkg should require wget. I was getting this error before I installed it:

/usr/share/netflix-desktop/install-file-downloader: line 20: wget: command not found

Offline

#30 2012-11-20 23:47:58

HalosGhost
Member
From: Twin Cities, MN
Registered: 2012-06-22
Posts: 1,486
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

demizer, the package works great. Playback is a little jumpy when first buffering, but I'm not really shocked by that; and, if memory serves, that's usually how it works on Windows anyway. Awesome work on the package!

All the best,

-HG


"All errors are ᴘᴇʙᴋᴀᴄ errors—It's just a matter of narrowing down which keyboard and chair." -Trilby
\ldots

Offline

#31 2012-11-21 00:34:44

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

ioos wrote:

I think the pkg should require wget. I was getting this error before I installed it:

/usr/share/netflix-desktop/install-file-downloader: line 20: wget: command not found

Will do, thanks for the report.

HalosGhost wrote:

demizer, the package works great. Playback is a little jumpy when first buffering, but I'm not really shocked by that; and, if memory serves, that's usually how it works on Windows anyway. Awesome work on the package!

Thanks! Glad to hear it is working.

Offline

#32 2012-11-21 00:50:19

akspecs
Member
Registered: 2012-02-11
Posts: 169

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

This worked quite nicely on my x86_64 system at home.  Perfect.

I cannot say the same regarding i686.  I believe there may be something odd with the netflix-desktop script.  When using it and finally starting the netflix page it tells me that I haven't got silverlight installed.  I've tried manually installing silverlight - which it appears to succeed in doing via the gui...  but it still claims that no silverlight is present.

Offline

#33 2012-11-21 03:57:28

joren
Member
Registered: 2012-11-21
Posts: 1

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Thanks for the package! I'll give it a try soon. Not to complain or anything, but one gripe I might have, is that it blows away the currently installed version of wine. That's pretty avoidable. Maybe I'll do something about it sooner or later, instead of just complaining. smile

Offline

#34 2012-11-21 04:56:08

mcmillan
Member
Registered: 2006-04-06
Posts: 703

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Thanks for the work, a couple small issues however (using your repo packages for now, on x86_64)
1)Silverlight is crashing when I try to switch to a full screen. I can get it to work with switching within firefox by pressing F11 prior to starting the video though.
2)I decided to test if it would work with the one other site I need windows silverlight for - the D&D character builder, which starts but then freezes

Offline

#35 2012-11-21 05:47:48

hunterthomson
Member
Registered: 2008-06-22
Posts: 794
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

It is working fantastically now smile I am Sooo happy, really I am just ecstatic about this.

I installed from your repo, and I chose YES to the Firefox Toolbar. I am glad I chose to have the tool bar.

Everything works as I would expect it to now. Like I can click the Full Screen button in the Netflix UI and it works. I can also now click the... well just everything works perfectly. Unlike the old PPA -bin package where the Firefox UI did not really function as it should.

NOTE: Wow, this new package uses less then 1/2 the CPU the original -bin PPA version did!

cpunetflix.png

HalosGhost wrote:

Playback is a little jumpy when first buffering, but I'm not really shocked by that; and, if memory serves, that's usually how it works on Windows anyway.

Ya, that is how it works on Windows too. I think like it is how Silverlight works? Maybe like Silverlight is decrypting the stream, so like at first there is more work to be done then after it has a good buffer going? In any case, after about 30-60 sec even on Windows it gets all smooth.

However, this new package plays back vary well for me even right back from the start. Even better then the qemu/KVM Windows 7 install I used to watch neflix before this.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-21 06:15:34)


OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

Offline

#36 2012-11-21 05:59:42

akspecs
Member
Registered: 2012-02-11
Posts: 169

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

I am assuming all of you guys are running this off of a x86_64 system.  Any people using i686 successfully out there?

Offline

#37 2012-11-21 06:01:38

hunterthomson
Member
Registered: 2008-06-22
Posts: 794
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Owe, I am on x86_64 and I installed from the repo

[archnetflix]
SigLevel = Required DatabaseOptional TrustedOnly
Server = http://demizerone.com/$repo/$arch


OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

Offline

#38 2012-11-21 18:25:35

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

joren wrote:

Thanks for the package! I'll give it a try soon. Not to complain or anything, but one gripe I might have, is that it blows away the currently installed version of wine. That's pretty avoidable. Maybe I'll do something about it sooner or later, instead of just complaining. smile

Well, I moved it to /opt due to people requesting it be moved there. The TU's in IRC said that is not necessary, which it isn't really. This version of wine is the same as the default wine from core, only it has patches applied to work with Silverlight. They are suggesting I move it back to /usr and have it conflict with wine. So as you can see, I have TUs on one side and users on the other.

So to the people that requested it be moved to /opt, what are your reasons for this request?

The way it's looking now, I am going to return it to patched default wine because it isn't necessary to have wine-silverlight in /opt. For users that must have it in /opt, I will provide package sources to do that, but not prebuilt packages.

mcmillan wrote:

Thanks for the work, a couple small issues however (using your repo packages for now, on x86_64)
1)Silverlight is crashing when I try to switch to a full screen. I can get it to work with switching within firefox by pressing F11 prior to starting the video though.
2)I decided to test if it would work with the one other site I need windows silverlight for - the D&D character builder, which starts but then freezes

Are you using it with the Firefox UI enabled? I will see about adding flags to netflix-desktop to allow full debug output so we can see what is going on. As for your second issue, I do not guarantee this setup will work with any other Silverlight app. You could send an email to the upstream devs if you like.

hunterthomson wrote:

NOTE: Wow, this new package uses less then 1/2 the CPU the original -bin PPA version did!

That is great news! I guess using the PPA binaries were a really bad idea. I'm a damn packaging newb!

akspecs wrote:

I am assuming all of you guys are running this off of a x86_64 system.  Any people using i686 successfully out there?

I am currently setting up a build environment for i686 to build and test. Honestly though, I wish the world would just use 64bit, it's almost 2013 and I have had zero issues with 64bit linux installs. Then again, I don't use archaic software that requires 32bit. /rant.

Anyways, I should have a dev environment setup for i686 later today, and hopefully prebuilt packages for test before thanksgiving. I got sucked into #archlinux last night and got sidetracked.

Offline

#39 2012-11-21 20:41:45

akspecs
Member
Registered: 2012-02-11
Posts: 169

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

The reason for having it installed to /opt is to simply not have it conflict with any vanilla or other patched wine versions we may have.  In all honesty the whole TU thing is frustrating me.  The Ubuntu packages are built as such to install wine-compholio to /opt for this exact reason - to NOT conflict with other wine installs.

To add, if the patch is deemed by the wine developers to not be regressive in any ther aspects - then a wine version 1.5.18 will be released with exactly these patches making it unneccessary for us to even have a wine-silverlight package in the first place.  I personally already have a wine install which is patched with a particular input patch and wouldn't like to have to add this patch to the wine-silverlight pkg to have an all in one super patched version of wine.  Keeping it in the default install directory assumes people are only going to use wine for watching Netflix which may the case sometimes, but I'm sure many use wine for other apps and games which they may have already patched with another patch already.

demizer wrote:

I am currently setting up a build environment for i686 to build and test. Honestly though, I wish the world would just use 64bit, it's almost 2013 and I have had zero issues with 64bit linux installs. Then again, I don't use archaic software that requires 32bit. /rant.

Anyways, I should have a dev environment setup for i686 later today, and hopefully prebuilt packages for test before thanksgiving. I got sucked into #archlinux last night and got sidetracked.

I'm glad you'll support i686 in spite of your rant.  Hopefully you'll get it sorted out.

An another note, many laptops and other type mobile devices are running with 32 bit processors, and many that have been released today and in the past few years most evidently.  For whatever reason, whether it be power savings or whatever they are still used.

Most of my computers though, are x86_64 and with that said I would find it quite surprising if you don't have any 32bit libraries installed on your system.

Last edited by akspecs (2012-11-21 20:52:41)

Offline

#40 2012-11-21 21:24:33

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

akspecs wrote:

To add, if the patch is deemed by the wine developers to not be regressive in any ther aspects - then a wine version 1.5.18 will be released with exactly these patches making it unneccessary for us to even have a wine-silverlight package in the first place.  I personally already have a wine install which is patched with a particular input patch and wouldn't like to have to add this patch to the wine-silverlight pkg to have an all in one super patched version of wine.  Keeping it in the default install directory assumes people are only going to use wine for watching Netflix which may the case sometimes, but I'm sure many use wine for other apps and games which they may have already patched with another patch already.

Ahhh I didn't even think of that. WINE does seem to need a lot of patches to get things working right sometimes. I used WINE back in my Steam and WoW playing days and gave it up when I didn't need it anymore. I can remember needing lots of patches and little tweaks here and there to make things work.

akspecs wrote:

Most of my computers though, are x86_64 and with that said I would find it quite surprising if you don't have any 32bit libraries installed on your system.

Oh I definitely have 32bit libs on my system. I discovered last night in IRC that the devtools package provides scripts for creating a 32bit root environment for building i686 packages on x86_64. So I will be testing it out later today and updating the wiki documentation to help others that come along like me.

Offline

#41 2012-11-21 22:40:27

hunterthomson
Member
Registered: 2008-06-22
Posts: 794
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

I vote to keep this version of wine in /opt/wine-silverlight

This packge provides me with relaxation and stress relief, so keeping this version of wine isolated will help to insure it as stable as posible.. Even though I do not currently have another version of wine installed, I may want to down the line and would not want to have to deal with problems.

+1 I have always used x86_64 Linux. In 2008-04 I switched to Linux partly becuase there was no 64bit Windows support for the laptop I had. I have never had a problem with x86_64, and it seems like 32bit is 'way' too over used by the Linux community. Even Atom CPU's are x86_64. BUT Yes, there are still 32bit cpu's out there and Linux is a perfect fit for old hardware.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-21 22:43:42)


OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

Offline

#42 2012-11-22 00:17:43

GourdCaptain
Member
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 104

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Please keep this in /opt/. I have to use a different patched version of wine (wine-multimedia) to get a lot of the games I play to work with PulseAudio, and as far as I could tell from some attempts (I'm admittedly not that experienced with patching software myself), I can't get both the silverlight and winepulse patches to play nice together, and even then I'd lose the benefit of having your prebuilt packages. (And therefore avoiding a semi-long compile every time WINE updates, which also means for me either rigging up a cross-compile on my main 64-bit machine for 32-bit, or trying to compile WINE on my netbook.)

Last edited by GourdCaptain (2012-11-22 00:20:39)

Offline

#43 2012-11-22 07:27:47

bl3ndy
Member
Registered: 2012-06-18
Posts: 10

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Can't seem to install because ttf-ms-fonts won't install on my computer since I have previously installed ttf-win7-fonts which contain pretty much the same fonts. How can I work around this?

Last edited by bl3ndy (2012-11-22 07:32:16)

Offline

#44 2012-11-22 12:08:13

akspecs
Member
Registered: 2012-02-11
Posts: 169

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

bl3ndy wrote:

Can't seem to install because ttf-ms-fonts won't install on my computer since I have previously installed ttf-win7-fonts which contain pretty much the same fonts. How can I work around this?

trying editing the dependency in the package build to what you have.

Offline

#45 2012-11-22 21:16:19

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Ok guys. I'm keeping it in /opt. Also, the i686 packages are live. If you have an i686 system, you can use the same server string in pacman.conf. Check it out and let me know how it goes! Thanks.

Offline

#46 2012-11-23 01:59:29

hunterthomson
Member
Registered: 2008-06-22
Posts: 794
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Hum..., I'll need to do some more testing but, oddly enough it seems that maybe the lowered CPU usage is from the FoxyProxy plugin I installed onto the wine firefox.exe. When it is left to "proxy based on predefined patters" it firefox.exe and plugin-containe use a lot of CPU. However, if it is set to send all traffic through a ssh proxy to my home Arch server/router the CPU usage is really, really low.

(I connect to a OpenVPN service. Then I use SSH to set up a proxy to my Arch server/router and have Netflix connect through that, so it has a US IP address.)


OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

Offline

#47 2012-11-23 06:57:47

GourdCaptain
Member
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 104

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Installed the i686 packages on my netbook from the repo (dual core 1.67 MHz Intel Atom, Intel HD integrated graphics, 1 GB of RAM) and while it takes about everything the system's got, Netflix works semi-decently (slight choppiness on loading, clears up after a few seconds). There's a pretty obvious increase in overhead compared to the same system using Netflix on Windows 7 in Firefox, but it beats having to reset to watch Netflix. Thanks! This pretty much reduces my Windows (dual-boot or VM) use cases on my two machines down to two other apps I use infrequently.

Offline

#48 2012-11-23 10:38:37

akspecs
Member
Registered: 2012-02-11
Posts: 169

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

I tried both the AUR and the repo and for some reason when I try to run netflix it claims I don't have silverlight installed even though I'm running it through this script.  Only my i686 system exhibits this behaviour.

Offline

#49 2012-11-23 14:58:30

banshee28
Member
Registered: 2008-10-18
Posts: 328

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

Just wanted to say thanks! Its working great. Installed all req's and up and running. Will try on wife's PC next!


Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

Offline

#50 2012-11-23 16:17:36

demizer
Member
From: Santa Clara
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 110
Website

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

akspecs wrote:

I tried both the AUR and the repo and for some reason when I try to run netflix it claims I don't have silverlight installed even though I'm running it through this script.  Only my i686 system exhibits this behaviour.

Is this a fresh install on an i686 system?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB