You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-25 07:55:49

dpx3001

hostnamectl set-hostname fails

Hey guys,

I was long time arch user before and I got back to arch now. Of course systemd is not something I used to know. I am setting small headless linode setup and now I got to the point where I need to set hostname.

When I shh into linode and try to execute:
hostnamectl set-hostname something

I get response:
Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: Timeout was reached (g-io-error-quark, 24)
Failed to issue method call: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Systemd is installed and should be active since I used latest 2012.10 linode image as a base install. I am not sure where to look next, googling does not reveal any similar error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Update:
cat /proc/1/comm returns systemd so I do have systemd installed and running.

Last edited by dpx3001 (2012-11-25 08:15:16)

#2 2012-11-25 15:29:04

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: hostnamectl set-hostname fails

polkit isn't installed. systemd-196 removes the requirement for polkit when running as root, and really, you could just write to /etc/hostname yourself.

#3 2012-11-25 18:37:10

dpx3001

Re: hostnamectl set-hostname fails

falconindy wrote:

polkit isn't installed. systemd-196 removes the requirement for polkit when running as root, and really, you could just write to /etc/hostname yourself.

Thanks. I just tried to install polkit and it seems to be there already:

warning: polkit-0.107-4 is up to date -- reinstalling

I could write to /etc/hostname myself of course but since I am bit rusty with latest arch I was not sure if that is still valid way to set hostname properly. Will do it now.

I get similar error while trying to set time zone too. I can set time zone manually of course, just thought to mention that since it is the same problem.

Thanks for your help.

Board footer