You are not logged in.

#1401 2012-11-19 21:52:48

shiznix

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

How are you guys getting the message indicator to be displayed ?
I seem to be hit with this bug -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1053406

#1402 2012-11-20 19:46:42

szebenyib

iOmega wrote:

I've installed Arch like in new tutorial. Installed X, prove it with xterm, so it's working! Got it under Virtualbox, but can't get Unity to work with unity.xe-xe,org repository, i did install all Unity packages with pacman -S $(pacman -Slq unity)

Got no LightDM apparently, and when i try to launch Unity through command some compiz erros came up :

WARNING: no DISPLAY variable set, setting it to :0
unity-panel-service: no process found
compiz (core) - info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Fatal: Couldn't open display :0
compiz (core) - info: Stopping plugin: core
compiz (core) - info: Unloading plugin: core

IOMega, could you please tell me how you have solved that? I have a newly installed system, but I have no idea how to start solving this.

Nevermind smile
Installed lightdm and I could start it now that way.

Last edited by szebenyib (2012-11-20 19:58:17)

#1403 2012-11-21 05:21:11

robxu9
Website

quiro91 wrote:

Everything works as expected, thanks! But... Now I have a new issue, when I open google-chrome:
http://i.imgur.com/liqot.png

I've had this problem as well; so far I've just avoided using chromium/google-chrome and am using Firefox instead.

EDIT: First post on Arch BBS! Whoo \o/

Last edited by robxu9 (2012-11-21 05:22:12)

#1404 2012-11-24 18:30:14

pekmop1024
Website

unity.xe-xe.org repo is updated.
as always, full reinstall is strongly recommended.

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#1405 2012-11-25 12:28:35

qiuwei

pekmop1024 wrote:

unity.xe-xe.org repo is updated.
as always, full reinstall is strongly recommended.

Thanks a lot. It works perfect here.

#1406 2012-11-25 19:22:09

alevinearch

This is VERY cool, but I do not like the direction Ubuntu is going with Unity (like removing menus and replacing them with the HUD).

Arch vs Ubuntu; User friendly or user centric?

#1407 2012-11-26 02:20:36

chenxiaolong

shiznix wrote:

I seem to be hit with this bug -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1053406

Just install telepathy-indicator, log out, and log back in smile

Btw, telepathy-indicator is in Unity-for-Arch-Extra.

#1408 2012-11-26 09:49:29

oi_wtf

there is no telepathy-indicator in your git repo. or did I miss it?

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1409 2012-11-26 18:35:14

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

there is no telepathy-indicator in your git repo. or did I miss it?

I'm an idiot. Yep, you're right smile I was looking at Unity-for-Fedora-Extra. I'll package it now.

EDIT: Committed smile I can't test it right now though.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-11-26 18:43:56)

#1410 2012-11-26 18:44:17

chenxiaolong

Great news: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/gnome-co … le-in.html

I'll have it packaged tomorrow.

#1411 2012-11-27 14:25:27

illusionmist

Just install this via unity.xe-xe.org repo. Works like a charm.
Thanks to all of you guys!

Last edited by illusionmist (2012-11-27 17:15:34)

#1412 2012-11-27 23:12:57

shiznix

chenxiaolong wrote:
shiznix wrote:

Just install telepathy-indicator, log out, and log back in smile

Btw, telepathy-indicator is in Unity-for-Arch-Extra.

Thanks heaps, that fixed the problem wink

#1413 2012-11-28 00:07:23

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

I would like to announce that my new [ayatana] repository is available with signed Unity packages for i686 and x86_64! If you use my repo, you don't need to install any patched packages, Unity works with vanilla GNOME!

How to install Unity from [ayatana] repository?

1. If you installed unity previously, remove all unity related packages including indicators, lenses and libraries to avoid unexpected behavior.

2. Add [ayatana] to your pacman.conf file:

[ayatana]
SigLevel = PackageRequired
Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/$repo/os/$arch

You can found all of these packages in AUR, you can even build them yourself if you want.

3. As a prerequisite, install at least the following GNOME packages from [extra]:

# pacman -Sy gdm gnome-backgrounds gnome-control-center gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-screensaver gnome-session gnome-themes-standard

4. Install Unity, system indicators and lenses from [ayatana]:

# pacman -Sy indicator-application indicator-appmenu indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime indicator-messages indicator-power indicator-printers indicator-session indicator-sound indicator-sync notify-osd unity unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files unity-lens-gwibber unity-lens-music unity-lens-photos unity-lens-shopping unity-lens-video unity-scope-gdocs unity-scope-video-remote

You could ignore some indicators or lenses if you don't want to use them.

5. If you are using Pidgin, Empathy, Thunderbird or XChat, the following packages integrate them into the Messaging menu:

# pacman -Sy pidgin-indicator telepathy-indicator thunderbird-indicator xchat-indicator

6. If you already used compiz or unity, I recommend to reset your settings:

$ rm ~/.config/compiz-1
$ gsettings reset-recursively com.canonical.Unity

7. To use Unity, select "Unity" session when log in with GDM.

What is the difference between chenxiaolong's packages and mine?

chenxiaolong patched many GNOME and X.Org packages, however all of my packages work with vanilla packages from [extra]. I described below why I don't use patched packages.

• compiz-ubuntu: basically same as my compiz-devel package, but I ignored some minor downstream patches and migration scripts.

• fixesproto-ubuntu, libxfixes-ubuntu, xorg-server-ubuntu: I patched unity package to work without BarrierPointers. (This may breaks some functionality on multi-monitor systems.)

• gnome-bluetooth-ubuntu: I created a separated indicator-bluetooth package, which depends on gnome-bluetooth.

• gnome-control-center-ubuntu: this is mostly customization to provide access for some more settings. Instead of that, you can use dconf-editor to access all settings.

• gnome-screensaver-ubuntu: I added an autostart file into the unity package.

• gnome-session-ubuntu: I added session files to unity package.

• gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu: I added an autostart file for gnome-fallback-mount-helper into the unity package. Other patches are not really needed for Unity.

• gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu: I patched compiz-devel package to use it's internal GSchema to store the terminal key.

• gtk2-ubuntu, gtk3-ubuntu: these are required for appmenu-gtk and overlay-scrollbar. I'm not interested in maintaining these packages in my repo.

• metacity-ubuntu: these patches are unrelated for Unity.

• nautilus-ubuntu: it contains an integration patch for the launcher, which shows a progress bar when copying/moving files. I'm not interested in packaging it, it's only a minor feature.

• network-manager-applet-ubuntu, qt-ubuntu: I enabled all legacy systray icons on Unity panel by default, so installing sni-qt or patched network-manager-applet is not required to see them on the panel.

How can you contribute?

You can report any problems or send patches on GitHub:
https://github.com/City-busz/ayatana-repository/issues

What's next?

I'll send some patches and report a lot of issues to the upstream developers, which needs to be solved before I'm able to move the whole stuff into the [community] repository.

#1414 2012-11-28 01:00:45

chenxiaolong

This is really great news! A little over a year ago, Unity-for-Arch started as a fork of György's packages. I'm am glad we can work together now on a single port of Unity for Arch Linux!

For those who don't know, György is a Trusted User of Arch (maintainer of packages in Community) and also the creator of most of the Ayatana packages from the AUR.

From now on, I suggest using his packages instead of mine. His unpatched packages will lead to less problems and a more stable Unity. Not to mention that Unity or Xorg won't fail to start like in Unity-for-Arch when I forgot to update some packages smile His work also has a much greater chance of being merged into the official repositories.

What will happen to Unity-for-Arch and Unity-for-Arch Extra?

I will be removing packages that are present in György's repository. Unity-for-Arch won't be going away yet smile I will be focusing on packaging Ubuntu's patched packages such as pointer barriers for Xorg, Unity settings for GNOME Control Center, LightDM Unity Greeter, etc.

How to contribute?

Please report problems to https://github.com/City-busz/ayatana-repository/issues if they are related to the core Unity packages and to https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch/issues if they are related to my patched packages.

#1415 2012-11-28 01:10:52

chenxiaolong

In regards to patched packages

City-busz wrote:

[*]compiz-ubuntu: basically same as my compiz-devel package, but I ignored some minor downstream patches and migration scripts.[/*]

I will not be packaging a patched compiz-ubuntu. The migration scripts are pretty useless.

City-busz wrote:

[*]fixesproto-ubuntu, libxfixes-ubuntu, xorg-server-ubuntu: I patched unity package to work without BarrierPointers. (This may breaks some functionality on multi-monitor systems.)[/*]

I will be packaging these. These are needed for revealing the launcher based on how hard the cursor is being pressed against the side of the screen. This (I think) will be merged with upstream Xorg with the release of GNOME Shell 3.8, which uses the patches as well.

City-busz wrote:

[*]gnome-bluetooth-ubuntu: I created a separated indicator-bluetooth package, which depends on gnome-bluetooth.[/*]

I will not be packaging this anymore. indicator-bluetooth offers the exact same functionality.

City-busz wrote:

[*]gnome-control-center-ubuntu: this is mostly customization to provide access for some more settings. Instead of that, you can use dconf-editor to access all settings.[/*]

I will keep packaging this to make changing some Unity settings easier.

[*]gnome-screensaver-ubuntu: I added an autostart file into the unity package.[/*]

I will not be packaging this.

[*]gnome-session-ubuntu: I added session files to unity package.[/*]

I will keep packaging this. Some patched packages require that the $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable be set.

City-busz wrote:

[*]gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu: I added an autostart file for gnome-fallback-mount-helper into the unity package. Other patches are not really needed for Unity.[/*]

I'll keep packaging this if it's required for any other packages.

[*]gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu: I patched compiz-devel package to use it's internal GSchema to store the terminal key.[/*]

I will not package this.

City-busz wrote:

[*]gtk2-ubuntu, gtk3-ubuntu: these are required for appmenu-gtk and overlay-scrollbar. I'm not interested in maintaining these packages in my repo.[/*]

I will definitely keep packaging these. I personally really like the global application menu and the scrollbars smile

City-busz wrote:

[*]metacity-ubuntu: these patches are unrelated for Unity.[/*]

I will keep packaging this. It's required for the Ambiance and Radiance themes.

City-busz wrote:

[*]nautilus-ubuntu: it contains an integration patch for the launcher, which shows a progress bar when copying/moving files. I'm not interested in packaging it, it's only a minor feature.[/*]

I will keep packaging this.

City-busz wrote:

[*]network-manager-applet-ubuntu, qt-ubuntu: I enabled all legacy systray icons on Unity panel by default, so installing sni-qt or patched network-manager-applet is not required to see them on the panel.[/*]

I will keep packaging these. I prefer the indicators.

#1416 2012-11-28 02:06:06

illusionmist

Got a problem. The dash home is always blank when I open it. What's wrong?
And I suppose there's no way to change the default lens? (I want to show app lens by default)

Last edited by illusionmist (2012-11-28 02:07:23)

#1417 2012-11-28 02:49:19

oi_wtf

Is threre any reason why compiz-devel conflicts emerald?
I've been using emerald with compiz-ubuntu for quite some time and it's working fine.

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1418 2012-11-28 02:54:11

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

oi_wtf wrote:

Is threre any reason why compiz-devel conflicts emerald?
I've been using emerald with compiz-ubuntu for quite some time and it's working fine.

I didn't tested the new compiz with emerald, but in this case I'll remove this conflict.

#1419 2012-11-28 11:54:39

pekmop1024
Website

Using two repos and gits instead of one? Guys, you are kidding? This will be unity@arch death, IMHO.
You need to cooperate at one unity@arch project instead of fragmenting to more and more repos, I think.

BTW, ayatana repo was dead for a months (may be abandoned again after a few weeks?), and is not fully functional compared to chenxiaolong's project.

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#1420 2012-11-28 12:21:19

xgdgsc

City-busz wrote:

[*]gtk2-ubuntu, gtk3-ubuntu: these are required for appmenu-gtk and overlay-scrollbar. I'm not interested in maintaining these packages in my repo.[/*]

What's next?

I'll send some patches and report a lot of issues to the upstream developers, which needs to be solved before I'm able to move the whole stuff into the [community] repository.

I really hope unity goes to [community], but I believe many people use unity because of the global menu and indicators. I cannot imagine a unity without these features. So I really hope you reconsider this decision not to package gtk-ubuntu and some indicators. Although it' s quite dirty to have them in the official repo.

#1421 2012-11-28 12:30:00

mythus
Website

Pekmop, they are working together if you haven't noticed by the recent posts in this thread.

City-busz has provided a Unity for Arch setup that does not require the hundreds of ubuntu patches.

chenxiaolong will continue to provide certain patched files for those who want them, but will not provide an entire Unity for Arch setup anymore since City-busz repo does that in a more arch friendly manner.

In this way you can get the unpatched arch version of Unity, and then add patched files to it if you want them.

No doom. No gloom. No fragmentation.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#1422 2012-11-28 12:42:50

pekmop1024
Website

mythus, heh, no fragmentation? TWO gits instead of ONE? Okay.
What about binary incompatibility between unity@arch built against vanilla arch libs with ubuntu-patched libs? Those who wants full Unity version, will forced to rebuild unity against ubuntu-patched libs. So where's profit of unity built against vanilla arch libs? Just for including to [community]? But it's unusable anyway, because of lack of functinality.

#1423 2012-11-28 17:22:06

oboedad55

City-busz wrote:

I would like to announce that my new [ayatana] repository is available with signed Unity packages for i686 and x86_64! If you use my repo, you don't need to install any patched packages, Unity works with vanilla GNOME!

This works great, thanks for providing it! Is there any way to get indicators like weather, etc onto the panel?

Registered Linux user #436067

#1424 2012-11-28 19:06:50

chenxiaolong

xgdgsc wrote:
City-busz wrote:

What's next?

I really hope unity goes to [community], but I believe many people use unity because of the global menu and indicators. I cannot imagine a unity without these features. So I really hope you reconsider this decision not to package gtk-ubuntu and some indicators. Although it' s quite dirty to have them in the official repo.

I will keep providing the patched packages, so that all of Unity's features can be added. City-busz is providing a minimal set of Unity packages so that all the basic features can work with the stock packages.

#1425 2012-11-28 19:20:00

pekmop1024
Website

chenxiaolong, looks like you have to do same as before, because unity combined from patched and non-patched packages will be very buggy and unpredictable.

Board footer