You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-29 23:57:04

stevepa

[SOLVED]Setting up Arch to read CIFS shares but no smb.conf

I am trying to ACCESS CIFS shares from another computer. Other clients can access these shares without issue. I am NOT trying to host files from Arch.

Reading I have done: wiki pages on SAMBA and SMBCLIENT.

Reading the SMBCLIENT wiki page, it apparently states that only the package smbclient should be installed, which I did.

But, following the SMBCLIENT wiki, it shows to issue:

#smbclient -L 
#smbclient

both error saying smb.conf can not be read. BTW, is the -L to just list the shares available from any place?

Questions:
1. So, should smb.conf be created to use smbclient? This package evidently does not install smb.conf in any form.
2. Does the SAMBA package need to be installed to use smbclient? Samba does install a smb.conf.something.

Any tips you have so I can read CIFS shares will be appreciated.
Thanks
steve.

Last edited by stevepa (2012-11-30 03:22:49)

Arch - LVM - ext4 - gnome (T60p 14.1 1400p  x86_64), (T60 15 flexview 1400p i686)

#2 2012-11-30 02:19:46

stevepa

Re: [SOLVED]Setting up Arch to read CIFS shares but no smb.conf

Reporting my results at resolving my issues
1. installing smbclient provides the described ftp-like environment while accessing CIFS shares. It works fine. I used

$smbclient //OMV/steve -Usteve%omv

to access my share on the OMV server. I could list, get and put files. I still get the message about no smb.conf file but it works.
2. Installing gvfs-smb package allowed Thunar to display the shares. In my case, I do a Ctrl-L and then smb://OMV/steve and I can display the shared content perfectly! Click to remember password or it apparently does not work.

Hope this helps someone.
Steve.

Arch - LVM - ext4 - gnome (T60p 14.1 1400p  x86_64), (T60 15 flexview 1400p i686)

Board footer