You are not logged in.

#1451 2012-11-30 11:49:28

teekay
Member
Registered: 2011-10-26
Posts: 270

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:
teekay wrote:
illusionmist wrote:

EDIT: I just did a clean install using the new ayatana repo, and my indicator-datetime doesn't show time, but instead just "Time" as in text. Anyone else?

That's because /etc/timezone doesn't exist. I created it with "Europe/Berlin" as content, matching the TIMEZONE in rc.conf

This file should be deprecated for systems which have been migrated to timezone(And you are supposed to do so). I think chenxiaolong's package has been patched to work with systemd.

True, the [ayatana] version is actually broken. https://github.com/City-busz/ayatana-re … y/issues/2
I'd vote for chenxiaolong's version, too (which means maintaining the patches, as Ubuntu doesn't use systemd so that won't be fixed upstream).

From an [ayatana] user perspective it was just the easiest to create that file (again, I removed it some time ago..) - or use chenxiaolong's version (replace "libido3" depend with "ido" then)

Last edited by teekay (2012-11-30 11:57:30)

Offline

#1452 2012-12-02 11:33:03

xgdgsc
Member
Registered: 2012-02-03
Posts: 122

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Should we create a seperate thread to track issues in [ayatana]?

I'm presenting some of the problems I encountered using packages from [ayatana]:
1. I don' t know how to enable "sticky edge" for dual monitor settings by which you cannot move your mouse through the screen borders, which is great for dual-monitors. I searched in ccsm and didn't find where to config that?
2. The default installation of [ayatana] doesn't include light-themes from AUR and is ugly by default. I hope light-themes and lightdm will be part of the repo and finally community in the future.
[Solved]3. I installed Chen' s gtk2-ubuntu and gtk3-ubuntu and the global menu is working fine, but there is still another same menu under the title bar  in gtk2 and gtk3 apps, how do I disable the menu bar under the title bar?
[Solved] 4. I found in maximized windows the title bar the "Close:Minimize:Maximize" button order is correct while in unmaximized windows the order is "Close:Maximize:Minimize". I looked through dconf and gconf and didn't find any key relevant.
5. How to change the cursor theme ?  I find gnome-tweak-tool fail to change cursor theme.

Last edited by xgdgsc (2012-12-05 10:38:16)

Offline

#1453 2012-12-02 18:17:42

Milandini
Member
Registered: 2012-12-02
Posts: 3

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

HI!
I Have 4 problem  after install unity packages According to wiki and unity-extra from aur
1) Changing layout keys switched to shift+alt(reverse alt+shift--normal mod
2) When  open  Keyboard-Layout window crash him
3) Language indicator doesn't show current language
4) Time is changed after every reboot or shutdown

how to solve this problemes?

Last edited by Milandini (2012-12-02 18:38:05)

Offline

#1454 2012-12-02 23:35:00

stathisq
Member
Registered: 2012-01-08
Posts: 17

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Hi guys...I want to remove unity from my system...but
if i try pacman -Rs $(pacman -Sql unity)
there there are alot of pacages that comficts...
how can i remove it?(and get back qt instead of ubuntu-qt etc.)

Offline

#1455 2012-12-03 04:32:57

illusionmist
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 32

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

xgdgsc wrote:

4. I found in maximized windows the title bar the "Close:Minimize:Maximize" button order is correct while in unmaximized windows the order is "Close:Maximize:Minimize". I looked through dconf and gconf and didn't find any key relevant.

I think it's "button-layout" under "org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences".

Offline

#1456 2012-12-03 10:56:50

qiuwei
Member
Registered: 2009-12-18
Posts: 245

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Milandini wrote:

HI!
I Have 4 problem  after install unity packages According to wiki and unity-extra from aur
1) Changing layout keys switched to shift+alt(reverse alt+shift--normal mod
2) When  open  Keyboard-Layout window crash him
3) Language indicator doesn't show current language
4) Time is changed after every reboot or shutdown

how to solve this problemes?

Hi, what do you mean by installing unity-extra from aur?
You can install unity-extra in the same way as installing unity.

As far as I know, unity.xe-xe.org still works. But due to the latest update of video drivers, you may need to recompile xorg-server-ubuntu.

Currently things are more complicated because a new repo based on vanilla gnome packages has been introduced. Track the latest posts to check the details.

Offline

#1457 2012-12-03 11:01:02

qiuwei
Member
Registered: 2009-12-18
Posts: 245

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

stathisq wrote:

Hi guys...I want to remove unity from my system...but
if i try pacman -Rs $(pacman -Sql unity)
there there are alot of pacages that comficts...
how can i remove it?(and get back qt instead of ubuntu-qt etc.)

1. I think it's most probably due to dependencies instead of conflicts. You can force remove by ignoring dependencies, and manually install those packages which are required later. I don't know whether it's the prescribed way to do it. But it would be something I will do:)

2. Simply reinstall qt.

Offline

#1458 2012-12-03 12:31:46

Milandini
Member
Registered: 2012-12-02
Posts: 3

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:
Milandini wrote:

HI!
I Have 4 problem  after install unity packages According to wiki and unity-extra from aur
1) Changing layout keys switched to shift+alt(reverse alt+shift--normal mod
2) When  open  Keyboard-Layout window crash him
3) Language indicator doesn't show current language
4) Time is changed after every reboot or shutdown

how to solve this problemes?

Hi, what do you mean by installing unity-extra from aur?
You can install unity-extra in the same way as installing unity.

As far as I know, unity.xe-xe.org still works. But due to the latest update of video drivers, you may need to recompile xorg-server-ubuntu.

Currently things are more complicated because a new repo based on vanilla gnome packages has been introduced. Track the latest posts to check the details.

thank you for answer.....
i was wrong about install unity-extra..... I was Installed unity-extra in the same way as installing unity.....According to your answer
how to recompile xorg-server-ubuntu?

Offline

#1459 2012-12-03 13:42:58

qiuwei
Member
Registered: 2009-12-18
Posts: 245

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Milandini wrote:

thank you for answer.....
i was wrong about install unity-extra..... I was Installed unity-extra in the same way as installing unity.....According to your answer
how to recompile xorg-server-ubuntu?

Now I don't think your problems are related to xorg-server.

Offline

#1460 2012-12-04 04:59:00

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

It's been almost a week now. Do people still want my packages back?

If yes, I will revert all of the latest commits and continue maintaining all the packages I did previously smile In this case, we should probably have two threads in this forum: one for [Ayatana] and this one for [Unity-for-Arch].

If no, I will fix all the dependency issues that resulted from the slight differences smile

What do you guys think?


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#1461 2012-12-04 07:57:04

oi_wtf
Member
From: /home/wtf
Registered: 2012-03-11
Posts: 190

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I'm OK with both ways, but I'd like it, if all packages came from the same source, since they'll fit together better.


Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win8.1 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win8.1 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GiB

Offline

#1462 2012-12-04 08:19:52

Kirurgs
Member
Registered: 2008-10-20
Posts: 141

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

For me the most important thing is FULL functionality of Unity, so if that can't be achieved by vanilla packages, we need patched ones.

Offline

#1463 2012-12-04 16:31:26

xgdgsc
Member
Registered: 2012-02-03
Posts: 122

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong wrote:

If no, I will fix all the dependency issues that resulted from the slight differences smile

What do you guys think?

My answer is no. We just need a working unity, as long as the minor issues like I mentioned #1452 can be solved. And I really hope it finally goes to [community].

I 've been using [ayatana] packages together with gtk2/3-ubuntu, appmenu-gtk2/3, light-themes for several days and it's mostly identical to my Ubuntu 12.10 experience. And I find it interesting that qt from [extra] and appmenu-qt support global menu without patching, while gtk apps have two menus (one on the top edge and another under the title bar) now.

Offline

#1464 2012-12-04 17:30:51

teekay
Member
Registered: 2011-10-26
Posts: 270

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

xgdgsc wrote:

And I find it interesting that qt from [extra] and appmenu-qt support global menu without patching, while gtk apps have two menus (one on the top edge and another under the title bar) now.

Qt merged Aurélien Gateau's appmenu patches some releases ago, while Gtk upstream refused to do so.

On the topic: [ayatana] stuff is fully working here, too. I do use gtk2/3-ubuntu though for appmenu support, and indicator-session from [Unity-For-Arch] for proper systemd support and removal of that useless ubuntu help link.

IMHO the best solution would be to provide the patched versions in AUR with -ubuntu suffix - all in one source as oi_wtf already suggested.
So: I'd vote for "no"

Last edited by teekay (2012-12-04 17:32:03)

Offline

#1465 2012-12-04 18:44:28

kuglee
Member
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 61

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

The autohide function is a must, so total vanilla is a no go for me. Right now I'm using all the packages from chenxiaolong's github with the ayatana repo. Everything's been good so far, so I also vote for no.

Last edited by kuglee (2012-12-04 19:05:06)

Offline

#1466 2012-12-04 19:02:32

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

The double menubar issue can be fixed by using gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu, which sets a GTK3 property to disable the in-window menubar when logged into Unity.


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#1467 2012-12-04 20:02:21

kuglee
Member
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 61

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong: compiz-ubuntu was removed from your github, but it's needed.

Offline

#1468 2012-12-05 05:02:23

City-busz
Trusted User (TU)
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2010-12-27
Posts: 162
Website

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I created an overview page about the differences of my packages from Ubuntu, and about know bugs: https://github.com/City-busz/ayatana-repository/wiki
It's still work in progress, I'll send some more bugs and patches to upstream developers in the next days.

@chenxiaolong: are you the original author of timedated patch for indicator-datetime? I would like to modify and forward it to the upstream developers.


My packages | My PGP Key: 0x0901C163

Offline

#1469 2012-12-05 19:34:20

qiuwei
Member
Registered: 2009-12-18
Posts: 245

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Question regarding to City-busz's wiki
Differences from Ubuntu: Built without unity-webapps support, because it would requires much more dependencies.

However, currently unity-webapps works with chenxiaolong's packages.  and

Name           : bamfdaemon
Version        : 0.3.4-100
URL            : https://launchpad.net/bamf
Licenses       : GPL
Groups         : unity
Provides       : None
Depends On     : dbus-glib  libwnck3  libgtop  libunity-webapps

What's the problem?

Offline

#1470 2012-12-05 19:43:06

qiuwei
Member
Registered: 2009-12-18
Posts: 245

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I'm not against the movement towards unity with vanilla gnome as long as it's fully functional. So I would vote for no.

Just one suggestion for chenxiaolong's repo. if you decide to give up those packages, why not directly work on a fork of  City-busz's packages?

It would make it easier to track, and also provides convenience for packagers like pekmop1024.

Offline

#1471 2012-12-06 03:45:06

City-busz
Trusted User (TU)
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2010-12-27
Posts: 162
Website

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:

Question regarding to City-busz's wiki
Differences from Ubuntu: Built without unity-webapps support, because it would requires much more dependencies.

However, currently unity-webapps works with chenxiaolong's packages.  and

Name           : bamfdaemon
Version        : 0.3.4-100
URL            : https://launchpad.net/bamf
Licenses       : GPL
Groups         : unity
Provides       : None
Depends On     : dbus-glib  libwnck3  libgtop  libunity-webapps

What's the problem?

You are using chenxiaolong's bamf package. My package is bamf-0.3.4-2.


My packages | My PGP Key: 0x0901C163

Offline

#1472 2012-12-06 09:19:39

qiuwei
Member
Registered: 2009-12-18
Posts: 245

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

City-busz wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

Question regarding to City-busz's wiki
Differences from Ubuntu: Built without unity-webapps support, because it would requires much more dependencies.

However, currently unity-webapps works with chenxiaolong's packages.  and

Name           : bamfdaemon
Version        : 0.3.4-100
URL            : https://launchpad.net/bamf
Licenses       : GPL
Groups         : unity
Provides       : None
Depends On     : dbus-glib  libwnck3  libgtop  libunity-webapps

What's the problem?

You are using chenxiaolong's bamf package. My package is bamf-0.3.4-2.

Yes, I'm using chenxiaolong's bamf package. Sorry that I didn't make my question clear.
My question is why yours doesn't work. It seems the dependencies specified in the PKGBIULD are the same as chenxiaolong's.

Offline

#1473 2012-12-06 13:44:37

illusionmist
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 32

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I wonder which package or file is responsible for showing "Ubuntu Desktop" on the menubar?
In chenxiaolong's Unity they're patched to show "Arch Linux Desktop". Thx.

Offline

#1474 2012-12-06 13:57:28

xgdgsc
Member
Registered: 2012-02-03
Posts: 122

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

illusionmist wrote:

I wonder which package or file is responsible for showing "Ubuntu Desktop" on the menubar?
In chenxiaolong's Unity they're patched to show "Arch Linux Desktop". Thx.

I think it's unity with this patch:Unity-for-Arch on Github

Offline

#1475 2012-12-07 05:17:21

City-busz
Trusted User (TU)
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2010-12-27
Posts: 162
Website

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:
City-busz wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

Question regarding to City-busz's wiki
Differences from Ubuntu: Built without unity-webapps support, because it would requires much more dependencies.

However, currently unity-webapps works with chenxiaolong's packages.  and

Name           : bamfdaemon
Version        : 0.3.4-100
URL            : https://launchpad.net/bamf
Licenses       : GPL
Groups         : unity
Provides       : None
Depends On     : dbus-glib  libwnck3  libgtop  libunity-webapps

What's the problem?

You are using chenxiaolong's bamf package. My package is bamf-0.3.4-2.

Yes, I'm using chenxiaolong's bamf package. Sorry that I didn't make my question clear.
My question is why yours doesn't work. It seems the dependencies specified in the PKGBIULD are the same as chenxiaolong's.

Because I didn't added the libunity-webapps dependency.


My packages | My PGP Key: 0x0901C163

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB