You are not logged in.

#26 2012-12-02 16:58:58

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

dolby wrote:

Better audio

Define 'better'.

More cross desktop collaboration between kde and gnome as fd.o is a joke and could just as well redirect to gnome.org since kde doesnt get involved

Explain why more collaboration would be a good thing.

Less companies like canonical

That doesn't make any sense, explain.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#27 2012-12-02 19:28:40

dolby

jasonwryan wrote:

Calendar-contact-email integration. This is the single biggest hurdle for getting organizations to move to FOSS desktop productivity tools.

Like evolution, kontact and emacs do? We already have it.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#28 2012-12-02 19:32:26

dolby

litemotiv wrote:
dolby wrote:

Better audio

Define 'better'.

Better to leave it to the hands of professionals http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/better

litemotiv wrote:
dolby wrote:

More cross desktop collaboration between kde and gnome as fd.o is a joke and could just as well redirect to gnome.org since kde doesnt get involved

Explain why more collaboration would be a good thing.

I am not writing an essay.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#29 2012-12-02 19:43:46

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

dolby wrote:

Yeah you're just being a useless troll, that much is obvious.

yawnee.gif

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#30 2012-12-02 20:00:28

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Folks, please behave. Don't let this thread get out of hands.

(And, yes, litemotiv, we got your message.)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#31 2012-12-02 20:26:42

PReP
Website

I'd wish for:

1. Better, consolidated, Audio.

In my opinion, that would be OSS, if it went to being the most worked-on and neat audio solution.
    Just having those virtual-mixers at scratch makes everything so neat and easy.

2. More upstream restraint as to the large dependency-growth i see happening more and more,

I suppose that some developers just wants it that way - but i really would like to use just X with function X,
    without needing dependency a,b,c,d,e,f just because the main program also has a printing function or similar.
    The main issue i feel is having more gears turning around in my computer, and more of a nest to dig into when
    someting does not work as intended.

3. Sudo and usergroups being enough again, nowadays i feel we get layers upon layers of solutions just for getting a user to be allowed doing something without sudo-rights.

I just wish there was a better way, working with what we already have.

4. More of "lets join this well established project and imporve it", and less of "Let's make our own this" for certain projects.

But well, besides that, i really like Linux, and i feel very at home with my current distro of choice - even if we don't get along on any little detail  smile

Last edited by PReP (2012-12-02 20:27:10)

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#32 2012-12-02 21:53:26

nomorewindows

PReP wrote:

I'd wish for:
2. More upstream restraint as to the large dependency-growth i see happening more and more,

I suppose that some developers just wants it that way - but i really would like to use just X with function X,
    without needing dependency a,b,c,d,e,f just because the main program also has a printing function or similar.
    The main issue i feel is having more gears turning around in my computer, and more of a nest to dig into when
    someting does not work as intended.

Those dependencies help everyone, it's something that reduces the need to do it again.  The libraries are efficient and is transparent to the normal user and present to every modern operating system.  Looking for something that is missing, not something that is still going to be there regardless of implementation.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#33 2012-12-02 23:23:56

dolby

litemotiv wrote:
dolby wrote:

Yeah you're just being a useless troll, that much is obvious.

http://gathering.tweakers.net/global/smileys/yawnee.gif

Thanks for the personal insult. Thats great attitude coming from a former moderator of the forum.

#34 2012-12-02 23:31:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

dolby, while litemotive's phrasing was unfortunate, it was not entirely unwarranted, given the tone of your preceding post.

In any event, everyone is expected to respect each other, and the easiest way to do that it to stick to facts and rational argument.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#35 2012-12-03 01:46:36

cfr

WonderWoofy wrote:

Edit: I guess I will also second (or probably like fourth or fifth at this point in the thread) the OO/LO compatibility with ms.  I tell my coworkers that they cannot send me any of these newfangled propritary office formats if they want their attachments read.

Why? LO has been able to deal with the .***x chaos for quite some time. (Much better than older versions of MS Office.)

Personally: what Linux needs is Adobe Acrobat (or equivalent). There is no decent PDF editor on Linux. There is not even anything which can fill out and save a fillable form in presentation mode.

Last edited by cfr (2012-12-03 01:48:41)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#36 2012-12-03 03:04:33

Silex89

Hmmm, It's really hard for me to say what Linux is missing because I'm a very happy user (as far as my Arch experience. I had a rough time with other distros, but that's another story).

The only big missing piece I can think of, as an Industrial Engineer is Flexsim. I have to use it a lot in the University and in my daily job, but there's no way for me to use it with my Arch other than virtualize Win7 and execute it from there which consumes a lot of resources and scales up my CPU temperature to the sun. I tried Wine, Crossover and Cedega, none of them worked with the Hardware Key sad

Best of Luck big_smile

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#37 2012-12-03 06:15:30

anonymous_user

cfr wrote:

Why? LO has been able to deal with the .***x chaos for quite some time. (Much better than older versions of MS Office.)

LibreOffice has been able to open the new formats, yes. But will the document look exactly as if opened with Microsoft Office? It depends. Personally I don't use LO, so its not something I've experienced myself, however, I have read accounts of people having their documents' formatting butchered when being opened in LO.

#38 2012-12-03 06:22:59

WonderWoofy

I recently tried opening a new office excel speadsheet in LO, and maybe 5% of the cells were black boxes... just enough to be tempting to try to work around, but still totally unusable.

#39 2012-12-03 08:44:48

blackout23

Having the formating of just by 1% simply isn't an option for professionel use. And there WILL be formating loss unless your word doc is simply the letter "a" in Arial, 8pt and nothing more.

#40 2012-12-03 09:38:19

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

dolby wrote:

Thanks for the personal insult. Thats great attitude coming from a former moderator of the forum.

Yes sorry about that. Your reply was puberal and intentionally provocative, so i guess it struck a nerve. The victimization you're displaying now isn't working though, you got exactly what you were bargaining for.

Anyhow, you've been around here for over 6 years, so you obviously do know that your first post was just trolling and didn't fit the topic or the spirit of these boards. Your statements still ask for an explanation, and it would be great if you could provide one.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#41 2012-12-03 10:09:52

thoho180192

Is there much difference between Openoffice and Libreoffice when you talk about formatting losses?
And in general?

Last edited by thoho180192 (2012-12-03 10:10:22)

#42 2012-12-03 14:22:47

drcouzelis
Website

thoho180192 wrote:

Is there much difference between Openoffice and Libreoffice when you talk about formatting losses?
And in general?

Nah, they're pretty much the same.

I don't really use word processors (I can't stand them), but it seems like what the people in this thread are really saying in regards to office suites is that "Something Linux is missing is Microsoft Office".

Really, after all the hard work the LibreOffice developers put into supporting open standard file formats and supporting closed Microsoft file formats, I think the only way to get even more compatability with Microsoft Office is for Microsoft Office to be available on Linux.

#43 2012-12-03 16:00:15

blackout23

drcouzelis wrote:
thoho180192 wrote:

And in general?

I don't really use word processors (I can't stand them), but it seems like what the people in this thread are really saying in regards to office suites is that "Something Linux is missing is Microsoft Office".

Really, after all the hard work the LibreOffice developers put into supporting open standard file formats and supporting closed Microsoft file formats, I think the only way to get even more compatability with Microsoft Office is for Microsoft Office to be available on Linux.

Form what I have read they want to port it to iOS and Android. Which sounds a bit strange because that would undermine their surface RT tablet.

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-12-03 16:00:40)

#44 2012-12-03 18:40:03

dolby

litemotiv wrote:

you obviously do know that your first post was just trolling and didn't fit the topic or the spirit of these boards. Your statements still ask for an explanation, and it would be great if you could provide one.

Really? It was? I thought it was an honest opinion (or my personal feelings as the topic suggests). Explain.

On the other hand i believe your reply was trolling me especially, but not limited to, when asking to explain how crossdesktop collaboration is a good thing. Explain.

Its quite obvious that you don't want discussion for topics like this one happening here; you especially have been meaning to kill this thread since its creation (see your first reply). All the attempts to talk about linux in general and its direction, or any subjective topic, see for example my thread about the linux desktop, moved to TGN. Thats the reason essays which provide context to discussions like this one go to my blog.

I have no idea what you mean by 'the spirit of these boards'. Unless you mean this board is just about praising Arch and Linux in general.
If thats the case this forum doesn't need subsections.

#45 2012-12-03 19:48:32

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

@dolby: i'm seriously interested to hear why you think that Gnome and KDE should work together and what the goal of that collaboration should be. I also have no idea why you feel that linux is missing "Less companies like canonical", and for what reasons. Without any substantiation, those sort of claims fall in the "trolling category", i.e. baseless rants that will not contribute anything to the discussion.

If there's one thing i have been meaning then it is to keep this thread substantive, by asking you to provide background for your statements. This subforum is called GNU/Linux discussion, not Offtopic or TGN, so you really should make an effort to keep the discussion informative and useful. Without it, the thread will indeed become just another Grrr thread that will be closed or TGN'd in no time.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#46 2012-12-03 23:00:06

amadar
Banned

Linux needs:
* An open source program that rivals Adobe After Effects
* A text-UI (ncurses, etc) text editor that rivals Sublime in functionality using CUA standards (unlike vim) with a vintage mode option (like Sublime's).

As for CAD/CAM software, checkout http://shapesmith.net/.

Last edited by amadar (2012-12-03 23:00:35)

#47 2012-12-03 23:32:59

cfr

WonderWoofy wrote:

I recently tried opening a new office excel speadsheet in LO, and maybe 5% of the cells were black boxes... just enough to be tempting to try to work around, but still totally unusable.

Ah. I mostly get .docx and those seem to generally work fine. Calc goes back and forth with .xls OK but I haven't tried the hyped-up latest format.

Powerpoints I find are worst - they look a complete mess.

To be honest, the chances that a document saved on one machine in Word will look exactly the same when opened on another running Word is also fairly close to negligible. Even if they are the same OS and version of Office, it still depends what fonts etc. are available. If you really want it to look exactly the same, you need a different format... (And this assumes that Word on the second machine will open the document at all - at one point, large numbers of Windows machines refused to recognise Word files saved on Macs even though they had the same version of Office installed - you just got garbage.)

Anyway, this isn't something Linux needs more than any other OS, but a well-maintained .tex <-> .doc(x) converter would be very nice. (I'm trying to turn a .tex document into a Word document right now - seems such a shame to put it through the process of uglification but still...)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#48 2012-12-04 05:21:56

drcouzelis
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

I think KDE is an amazing collection of software, but the default configuration and appearance is just so incredibly unappealing. I think fontconfig could do better too.

I just got done trying out the Infinality font package from the AUR. My conclusion is:

The default font setup looks fine. I can't really say I prefer the default, I just think the two look different (I had to take screenshots to tell the difference). So, I guess that's one thing that I no longer feel Linux is missing.

KDE is still ugly though. tongue

#49 2012-12-04 06:24:53

WonderWoofy

drcouzelis wrote:
thoho180192 wrote:

And in general?

Actually, I guess I realy don't wish MS Office would be on Linux so much as its rediculous proprietary formats would be killed with fire.  Or at the very least, now that things work generally okay with the legacy MS formats in OO/LO, educate the world about how crappy it is to use the default "new and improved bullsh*t".

I can't blame people for using MS office, but they should at least know the BS tactics that are taking place to try and force it into maintaining its place as the office suite standard.

Personally, I just use vim most of the time.  I have LO installed for when I need it, and then there is always the Mac with office in times of true desparation, but turning to that is pretty rare.

#50 2012-12-04 14:34:15

nomorewindows

thoho180192 wrote:

And in general?

I don't know, but it beats having everyone in the universe upgrade to the newest MSOffice just because of an attachment they sent you is newer than what you have available.  I guess you could get the reader for each of the programs, but maybe it needs to be edited and sent back.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer