You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-07 21:33:01

bronco21016

[SOLVED]logitechmediaserver makepkg issues

I use Arch setup on a 4 GB USB Flash drive as the OS to manage a 4 HDD 3 TB RAID 10 setup as a NAS. Whew... lots to spit out there.

At any rate for her birthday the significant other got a Squeezebox alarm clock. It's a pretty nice unit even though I really wish it would play nicely with all of the Airplay devices we have setup for music throughout the house.

To support the new device I'm trying to install logitechmediaserver from the AUR but I'm getting errors when I run makepkg.

I don't have any other users on the system so I'm running makepkg --asroot from a build directory in root's home directory. I know not supposed to use root.. I'm lazy

Everytime makepkg gets to the unzip part I start getting a bunch of 'Can't create' files or 'Write failed' errors and makepkg fails with 'Failed to extract'.

I don't believe this is an issue with makepkg or the package but I'm wondering if maybe I'm hitting some permissions issues or space issues.

My root partition according to df is full. Does makepkg write files to the root directory? Do I need to slim down my install? It's currently at 2.6 GB.

Just confused what's going on and need a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks!

Last edited by bronco21016 (2012-12-20 03:46:56)

#2 2012-12-08 15:04:08

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED]logitechmediaserver makepkg issues

yes, makepkg needs to write files.

normally these are put in the folder from where it's run, but you can change that through makepkg.conf / environment variables.

building packages tends to require a lot of space, you could try building the package on your main system.
If it runs the same architecture as the NAS and you use default makepkg.conf settings, it should be installable .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2012-12-16 00:22:46

bronco21016

Lone_Wolf wrote:

yes, makepkg needs to write files.

normally these are put in the folder from where it's run, but you can change that through makepkg.conf / environment variables.

building packages tends to require a lot of space, you could try building the package on your main system.
If it runs the same architecture as the NAS and you use default makepkg.conf settings, it should be installable .

Thanks for the idea about building the package else where! I'm going to setup a 32-bit environment in a VM on my desktop and do exactly as you suggested.

#4 2012-12-16 08:48:27

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

If you have enough RAM, you could use a tmpfs. If you're going to use the compiled package on another PC, I recommend building in a clean chroot too. A fresh VM with just base and base-devel groups installed should suffice for that.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2012-12-16 09:26:33

tomk
Forum Fellow

General tip - if you want to tell us about error messages, post the complete exact verbatim output, not your summary.

#6 2012-12-16 15:20:59

bronco21016

tomk wrote:

General tip - if you want to tell us about error messages, post the complete exact verbatim output, not your summary.

Normally I would but it would take about 6 pages. Every single file in the tarball was getting the write failed messages. I guess I could have just showed a couple of lines.

I only have 512MB of RAM since it's just a NAS so I don't think tmpfs is an option really. Thanks!

Board footer