You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-07 09:45:32

jimcanoa

Reinstalling on top of an existing arch linux system

Hi guys,

I'm suffering from not being able to shutdown or reboot the pc. A while back I opened this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150849, but had no luck with that.

Many kernel updates have come by, but none have helped with the problem. So I figured that maybe there's a broken package somewhere in my current system, and that a manual installation of the `base` package group may help.

I was planning on doing this:

1. Backup, backup, backup. And then backup a bit more.
2. Boot from the installation media.
3. (option A): Follow this guide to end up doing `pacman -Syf base`: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ion_Chroot
3. (option B): no chroot, simply do pacman -S -r /mnt/root base
4. Reboot and cross my fingers.

What do you think? will I break my installation? Does this even make sense?

#2 2012-12-07 09:50:50

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Reinstalling on top of an existing arch linux system

Back up key areas like /etc /home and maybe /var and do a clean install to a freshly partitioned disk.  Why mess with what you're proposing at all?  If it doesn't solve your problem you will end up doing what I suggest anyway.  Save yourself the time and do it that way first tongue

Last edited by graysky (2012-12-07 09:53:28)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-12-07 10:23:27

jimcanoa

Unfortunately, I just booted with the arch linux installation media, and it's unable to shutdown or reboot as well. So it seems I was wrong and it's not related to a package being corrupted in my system...

My only hope is to flash the BIOS, which is a huge pain in the ass because I need windows for that (I dare not run the EXE Sony provides for firmware upgrade with Wine...), but I guess that's something to discuss in another topic.

#4 2012-12-08 19:51:24

hunterthomson
Website

Boy, that dose not sound good. I would try booting other Live Linux CD's too, like Ubuntu.

Ya, I would never upgrade my BIOS with Wine

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#5 2012-12-09 00:27:28

chris_l

Relax, even if you try, it wont do anything (neither good or bad)
Wine emulates the windows API, but is not possible to reach the bios. (on my experience)

Anyway, probably is something like an irq conflicting with something. I had to add acpi=noirq to my kernel line on grub for a series of lock ups I was getting on my old P4. Maybe you too need to add an option to your kernel.
There is always the possibility to try to compile your own kernel, optimized for your machine.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

Board footer