You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-10 23:50:21

dreamwalker

Gmail login error

Hello,

I have a really strange error on my box. It must be arch related it some way, though I don't know how :/

For some time* my gmail was working very slowly, so were pages using google account connection. And then some day my session expired and I had to login to google. Couldn't. After I post the credentials I see a blank page with a line of text saying the page is loading and it doesn't really change.

My ideas:
- Broken cookies - nope (clearing private data doesn't help)
- Browser-related - nope (same result on chromium, konqueror and elinks)
- DNS - nope (changed to opendns/google dnses)
- OS - yes (on windows gmail works)
- Linux? - no (My android phone works and it uses the same wifi router)

I've reinstalled Arch. Problem still exists. No custom iptables and other things.

Do you have any ideas what might be going on? I don't. Looks like google just doesn't like me or there's some bug feature in archlinux base configuration that does this.

Some more ideas need verifying in the near future:
1. Check on Ubuntu Live
2. Check email clients

* It started after an update to systemd, but can't really say if it was just after that or some time later.

#2 2012-12-11 00:10:39

roentgen

Re: Gmail login error

Ad blocking? /etc/hosts modifications? Firewall? IPV6 issues?

Last edited by roentgen (2012-12-11 00:11:10)

#3 2012-12-11 00:20:24

chris_l

Boot from the live cd, configure your internet access, install elinks and try there.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#4 2012-12-11 06:23:18

dreamwalker

@chris_l
Didn't work

@roentgen
About ad blocking and /etc/hosts, firewall - no, it didn't work even on arch live cd
About ipv6: I used this tutorial to disable ipv6: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ipv6 rebooted system, disabled ipv6 in firefox and nothing changed hmm

#5 2012-12-11 10:10:44

satanselbow

Given that there hasn't been a rash of users reporting the same problem... unlikely it's a bug...

Do you get odd results if you ping / traceroute google or mail.google.com ??? Do you get different results if you try to connect to a localised google (ie google.co.uk) than google.com ???

Take the browser(s) out of the equation and you'll stand a better chance of narrowing down the problem wink

** edit *** Have you looked at your router/gateway logs to see if there is anything odd happening there?

Last edited by satanselbow (2012-12-11 10:13:01)

#6 2012-12-11 16:15:16

chris_l

If didn't worked with the arch live cd, next step is to try several other linux distros live cds and try on those.

If it works there, then is something like a problem with the ethernet module of the arch kernel, and I can assume you use a very not common card, since there are no other complains about your problem.

If does not work on any distro, the logical conclusion is that your ethernet device is damaged (in a very weird way, only messing google sites)... except you said using windows on the very same machine works correctly.

If thats the case, stop using linux and return to windows to check your gmail tongue lol

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#7 2012-12-11 21:48:27

defears

Had this happen to me awhile ago. Log in to Gmail, in Windows and under account preferences, revoke access to gnome stuff. I guess it got corrupted and anything Gnome or Linux related couldn't login. Mine still had old distros still connected to it I didn't use for years.

Board footer