You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-31 07:54:44

ShadowKyogre
Website

[CLOSED] Lucifer's Linux - Arch Linux geared towards occultists

Important Tidbits
Summary

Lucifer's Linux is a Live CD distro based on Arch Linux, aimed at providing a bidding occultist a lightweight, yet beautiful desktop. Packages carefully selected from the AUR, Arch Linux's main repository, as well as some custom packages help provide this. You can find screenshots of this in the Screenshots menu item as well as the sourceforge page.

As for why this was made, the closest distribution that I could find was Ubuntu: Satanic Edition, which only focused on the artwork as opposed to gathering software to help in this area. I also wanted to learn how to use the archiso scripts to generate a Live CD.

All the packages featured in the Live CD are available for download in the custom repository if the software isn't featured in the Arch Linux repositories.

Personal Notes
  • The ttf-enochian and ttf-elder-futhark packages maybe disappearing so that way the modifications of some of the DejaVu fonts could be used instead, for better licensing purposes. I haven't written the PKGBUILDs for the modified DejaVu fonts for Enochian, Elder Futhark, and Theban, but I will get to it shortly. You can find the modified variants here, with license files included in the *.tar.bz2 files: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lucife … ork/fonts/

[EDIT] The reason why I mentioned the licensing issue was because even though the license is stated as free, non-commercial for the enochian font, I'd like to contact the original author to make sure they're fine with their font being packaged. Their site is down and looking in the archives for contact information on their site doesn't give me much information to go by for contact. I've done the same with the elder futhark font currently in the repositories and am waiting to hear from the author of the Elder Futhark font. Dunno why I forgot to type this out in the original draft of the OP.

• Due to the Theban font being based off of the original Theban found in the Polygraphia (which is public domain), I may make a modernized version of the Theban fonts for people who want modern Theban.

• The reason why the project is put into planning is because I still need to sort out some things, like which logo to use and organizing the files that lay within. I currently have two logos, one of which I have not uploaded due to being careful regarding the DeveloperWiki's trademark policy. One of the logos is a peacock in ritual robes with Lucifer's sigil on it. I'll send an email tonight to the specified address in the wiki page about the second logo. If it's allowed, a few more new wallpapers will be added featuring the second logo.

• Please, please, please test this in a VM and report any bugs before you decide to install this to a hard drive! Even though I did testing of this in a VM several days before releasing it, it'd be handy to have some feedback!

• And I need to change the default user dummy account on the live CD. The default normal user is visitor. On the old iso, it was archlinux. Both the root and the normal user have no password for now.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2013-01-05 20:39:29)

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#2 2012-12-31 08:27:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [CLOSED] Lucifer's Linux - Arch Linux geared towards occultists

ShadowKyogre wrote:

Support pages (so that way this doesn't turn into a support thread): https://sourceforge.net/p/luciferslinux/discussion/ (still setting up the forum), https://sourceforge.net/p/luciferslinux/tickets/ (for filing bugs)

Not a real issue to use this thread for support/bugs, though that would get messy quickly with more than a handful of users. I suggest this to be more prominently highlighted in your OP.

I'd say 'all the best' but that would probably be heretical. Try not to corrupt the rest of Arch, will you?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-12-31 08:46:25

ShadowKyogre
Website

ngoonee wrote:
ShadowKyogre wrote:

Support pages (so that way this doesn't turn into a support thread): https://sourceforge.net/p/luciferslinux/discussion/ (still setting up the forum), https://sourceforge.net/p/luciferslinux/tickets/ (for filing bugs)

Not a real issue to use this thread for support/bugs, though that would get messy quickly with more than a handful of users. I suggest this to be more prominently highlighted in your OP.

I'd say 'all the best' but that would probably be heretical. Try not to corrupt the rest of Arch, will you?

True true. I'll edit my first post to emphasize the link bits a bit more. And naw, I won't corrupt the rest of Arch :T. That's entirely up to the people who come across this.

Clean
Github page

#4 2012-12-31 10:38:48

Ramses de Norre

And what would be the main advantage of this distro over regular arch for an occultist? How do their computing needs differ from other people in ways that cannot be dealt with by arch (which is very customisable)?

I'm not trying to troll or anything, this is a sincere question because I feel like I'm missing the point here...

EDIT: typo.

Last edited by Ramses de Norre (2012-12-31 10:42:41)

#5 2012-12-31 10:56:58

Awebb

As stated in the first post, the OP wants to do more than artwork. I guess there is not much software at this point, let's see what happens.

#6 2012-12-31 11:02:42

Rasi
Website

You know your distribution is going down, when religion-influenced forks (as in: change wallpaper) start to appear.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#7 2012-12-31 14:21:06

Ramses de Norre

Awebb wrote:

As stated in the first post, the OP wants to do more than artwork. I guess there is not much software at this point, let's see what happens.

That's rather vague, I was hoping for some concrete examples.

#8 2012-12-31 14:59:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm curious too (just for curiosity's sake).  Different theming makes sense to me - though a separate distro for a separate theme seems a bit much.  But what software differences would their need to be?  Does someone's cultural or religious views influence which text editor or window manager they would use?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2012-12-31 15:09:16

Gullible Jones

If you're going for computational demonology stuff, I'd strongly recommend a GrSecurity kernel. Most lesser demons can root an insecure box faster than you can say "abra cadaver."

wink

#10 2012-12-31 15:24:35

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Most lesser demons can root an insecure box faster than you can say "abra cadaver.";)

demons or daemons tongue

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#11 2012-12-31 15:27:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Jokes are all well and good (I hope), but lets not let degrade into mockery or derailing the thread.

I am a bit confused, but genuinely curious to know if/why there would be different software preferences based on a cultural or religious group membership.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#12 2012-12-31 15:36:48

DoctorSamulus

When are we going to get Arch Linux: Multicultural Edition?!? I laughed at the syslinux screenshot on the site. "It's simply satanic!".

#13 2012-12-31 15:39:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:

Jokes are all well and good (I hope), but lets not let degrade into mockery or derailing the thread.

I am a bit confused, but genuinely curious to know if/why there would be different software preferences based on a cultural or religious group membership.

Nope. Not unless you provide specific apps by default. For eg. The Ubuntu Muslim edition, I believe came with an app that gave prayer times depending on your location & timezone. The Christian Edition also had themes that had to do with Christianity.

I have yet to meet a person who wouldn't use a particular software for some religious beliefs. But then again there are many nut cases out there.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#14 2012-12-31 17:08:18

ewaller
Administrator

Inxsible wrote:

[I have yet to meet a person who wouldn't use a particular software for some religious beliefs. But then again there are many nut cases out there.

oh, yeah?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#15 2012-12-31 17:25:23

lorin

I guess I can see it...Bundle some software for tarot, astrology, the I Ching...some of which are even already packaged on the aur.

#16 2012-12-31 19:37:40

ShadowKyogre
Website

lorin wrote:

I guess I can see it...Bundle some software for tarot, astrology, the I Ching...some of which are even already packaged on the aur.

Ramses de Norre wrote:

And what would be the main advantage of this distro over regular arch for an occultist? How do their computing needs differ from other people in ways that cannot be dealt with by arch (which is very customisable)?

I'm not trying to troll or anything, this is a sincere question because I feel like I'm missing the point here...

EDIT: typo.

An occultist would want software for things such as astrology, tarot, I Ching, numerology, etc. as lorin mentioned. Some packages I may still need to add to the repos include Maitreya and astrolog. There's also custom fonts that one may need for either aesthetic purposes or for writing purposes (regardless if the written document is digital). That's why I mentioned the Theban, Enochian, and Elder Futhark in my forum post as soon as I get the PKGBUILDs written for the proper DejaVu modified fonts that feature these. Openastro, QTarot, and ChronosLNX are included in the live CD for astrology and tarot purposes.

There a few more applications I plan to include, one of which is either Gnumerology or the other numerology application I wrote recently that's still sitting on my hard drive. I'm more inclined to go with gnumerology at the moment were it not for having to have the PKGBUILD actually call gcc on the source files so Code::Blocks wouldn't be needed to compile the package.

I am also planning to gather some links to occultic subjects for the user's convenience.

Accessibility would also be a necessary goal, which would be a challenge given sticking to a dark color scheme. A few sites I found (not related to the goal of this project) were not cooperating with Firefox's userChrome.css file and still showed their colors over the user's color fixes during one test run. Normally, I would pick Compiz as it provides both accessibility and beauty, but using the 0.8.x series would lock people into using card with GPU acceleration (though with modern hardware, this technically shouldn't be a problem). As for the 0.9.x series, the thing I miss the most is emerald support (which could be fixed once I manage to learn the new decoration API) and missing plugins from the 0.8.x series. E17 also looks dandy in this area, although I can't remember where I found a theme editor for E17. I'll go try searching for that again once I get the PKGBUILDs written for the fonts mentioned.
--------------

Inxsible wrote:
Trilby wrote:

Nope. Not unless you provide specific apps by default. For eg. The Ubuntu Muslim edition, I believe came with an app that gave prayer times depending on your location & timezone. The Christian Edition also had themes that had to do with Christianity.

I have yet to meet a person who wouldn't use a particular software for some religious beliefs. But then again there are many nut cases out there.

Yes, the Ubuntu Muslim Edition came with an app that gave prayer times depending on your timezone. Both of those also had software for studying the Quran and Bible, respectively. As mentioned before, there will be more wallpapers, one of which I'm in the process of making which doesn't involve that second logo I mentioned in the OP.
--------------

Gullible Jones wrote:

If you're going for computational demonology stuff, I'd strongly recommend a GrSecurity kernel. Most lesser demons can root an insecure box faster than you can say "abra cadaver."

wink

That actually would be an excellent idea. I'm pretty sure anyone'd be happy with a hardened kernel precompiled for them.
--------------
[EDIT]: The PKGBUILDs for the fonts are done, as well as compiling the grsecurity enabled kernel, astrolog, and maitreya. These will be added to the repository tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. They will also appear on a new Live CD some time this week.

As for I Ching related applications, I did some searching to see which one I could add to the repositories. There was iching, pyching, and gnoiching. pyching appears to be the most complete of these  and allows one to save their readings. As for gnoiching and iching, both are substantially underwhelming considering interpretation help and documentation, but gnoiching provides a cleaner UI.

My only problems with pyching are that I'm not sure what translation pyching uses for the interpretation information and that it's using the Tk toolkit for its GUI. Despite this, I should get a package built on my computer tonight, which should appear with the other built packages at around the same time.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2013-01-01 05:51:02)

Clean
Github page

#17 2013-01-01 13:35:11

GordonGR

ShadowKyogre wrote:

Accessibility would also be a necessary goal, which would be a challenge given sticking to a dark color scheme. A few sites I found (not related to the goal of this project) were not cooperating with Firefox's userChrome.css file and still showed their colors over the user's color fixes during one test run.

That's a matter of finding a good style. I'm in love with this for the last few months. I suppose there is a way to parse the stylist plugin and a few styles you'll like into the PKGBUILD.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz, x86_64. AURs.

“No one without the knowledge of geometry may enter.“ Plato.

#18 2013-01-01 21:03:40

Reded

Might I ask a newb question? what's the password for the login screen... tongue

This might well become my go-to LiveCD for general use (My Ubuntu one is too slow on some older computers!)

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#19 2013-01-01 21:05:16

ShadowKyogre
Website

GordonGR wrote:

That's a matter of finding a good style. I'm in love with this for the last few months. I suppose there is a way to parse the stylist plugin and a few styles you'll like into the PKGBUILD.

Had a look at the user style you presented me. Thank you soooo much for that, as that filled me in on why my userChrome.css tweaks for accessibility wasn't working. I forgot the !important keyword with the color definitions.

Give me a moment to make a more general css style that'll make it fit with any GTK+ theme selected.

Also, mentioned updates in previous post to the repos have been pushed.

[EDIT]: A more generic version of a fix for dark color schemes was turned into a gist, using the technique mentioned on sitepoint: https://gist.github.com/4430197
This will be packaged shortly after I find more cases where dark color schemes don't cooperate with websites. If you find any more domains that do not cooperate, please either post here or edit the gist.

I'll probably post it on userstyles.org too. Added to stylish now at this: http://userstyles.org/styles/80906/dark … 1357158058

[EDIT 2]: The first revision of a biorhythm application I was working on is finished. Once I get done with the numerology application, I'll include the stylesheet to fix website color schemes, numerology application, biorhythm program, and the other astrology programs mentioned before in the next live cd.

[EDIT 3]: After doing some research, it looks like there's a whole lot more to numerology than I thought, so writing the core of the application is going to take a while. At least the biorhythm application is done, so including the stylesheet for firefox, biorhythm application, and the other two astrology programs I mentioned before will be coming up this week. And copy-paste from either guest to host in a virtual machine running the ISO disappeared because the virtualbox guest modules won't compile against the new kernel (forgot to mention this, which may account for some of the slowness with getting another iso out).

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2013-01-03 22:02:44)

Clean
Github page

#20 2013-01-05 20:37:32

ShadowKyogre
Website

Double posting on this thread because:
ISO (which is a fair bit smaller) was updated with the following changes.

• Changed dummy normal user from archlinux to visitor, and I somehow neglected to mention the dummy user in the OP. I'll go edit that now.

• grsecurity isn't in livecd, but it's in the repositories. If I can get it on the livecd and still have virtualbox guest modules working, that'll be on the next livecd.

• Pulled out the hp printer drivers in exchange for ufw-frontends-gtk, spacefm-plugin-clamav (need to upload this to AUR too, since all it does is package the tarball's contents for the plugin), chkrootkit, ktsuss, gpa, and rkhunter

• Added a biorhythm application, qbiobeat-git (also available in the AUR), maitreya, astrolog, and pyching.

• Added default userChrome.css file and userContent.css file to help make some sites more accessible to the firefox-defaults-ll package (on the live cd and in the repository).

• Set up the lucifers-linux keyring on boot to make installation easier.

Things that will probably be happening in the near future, related to this project:

• Set up passwords for the normal dummy user and the root user, simply because it feels awkward to not have that Done on WIP cd

• bookmarks.html will be updated with some links to handy sites on occult knowledge as well as supply stores.

• Startpage.com will be set as the default homepage in Firefox to pay extra attention to helping keep privacy. Done, needs to be transferred to WIP cd

• Maybe privoxy or tor will be also be added.

• Put instructions for installing the distro on the live cd via Conky, since it doesn't hurt to have the documentation there too. Especially mentioning using the output of the following command to get all the packages necessary: Working on atm

pacman -Qsq

Copying over some of the defaults to <installpath>/etc/skel and some other setups (like default plymouth and lxdm theme) also needs to be added to an addon script for the installation.Rough draft is in a WIP version of the live CD on my hard drive, still needs to be tested.

• Include a modified version of Xyne's lunifybg for wallpaperd, since having the moon phase accessible in an aesthetic manner would be handy for those who need to time their workings with the moon phase (or just simply want it to have the moon on their wallpapers). Done on WIP cd

Things that will probably be in the semi-distant future, related to this project:

• Once enough wallpapers have been added, make black and electric blue variants.

• A numerology application that is more in depth than gnumerology

• Probably an application for analyzing the given colors that one is using  for a magical working and suggest additional components that would help make the working more effective. I'm still working on something that'll accurately help analyze this, but I can say that working this out is definitely easier in the HSL colorspace.

• Maybe get the time to compile all of the architecture dependent packages for i686 too.

• Massive refactoring of ChronosLNX, including separating the alarm checking from the main GUI.

Things that'll probably slow these down for a bit

• Completely unrelated, but working with a friend of mine who runs a NetBSD system to help make Compiz-Boxmenu more portable. Done for now.

• Numerology application development, as there's going to be quite a bit I need to put in it.

--------------

Reded wrote:

Might I ask a newb question? what's the password for the login screen... tongue

This might well become my go-to LiveCD for general use (My Ubuntu one is too slow on some older computers!)

>< I forgot to mention that currently, there is no password for the normal user and root for now. When setup is done installing, you can set up the root user and add other stuff as needed. If you just want the login screen, I'd recommend installing the theme from the repositories and setting it as the default. You can find the default lxdm theme here or here (prepackaged). If you want a signature to verify the download, you can find it here.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2013-01-09 22:13:03)

Clean
Github page

#21 2013-01-05 21:35:48

Morn

ShadowKyogre wrote:

[*]Added a biorhythm application, qbiobeat-git (also available in the AUR), maitreya, astrolog, and pyching.[/*]

Morinus (modern astrology) and Morinus traditional (traditional astrology) are also pretty powerful programs worth investigating.

As for the biorhythm app, I wonder if there would be an elegant way to add critical and mini-critical days for P-E-I (as per Jacyntha Crawley's book and the 1970's KOSMOS-1) to the graph, e.g. as semi-transparent vertical bars? Or as little LEDs running along the bottom? That would be a useful feature.

#22 2013-01-06 02:47:40

ShadowKyogre
Website

Morn wrote:
ShadowKyogre wrote:

[*]Added a biorhythm application, qbiobeat-git (also available in the AUR), maitreya, astrolog, and pyching.[/*]

Morinus (modern astrology) and Morinus traditional (traditional astrology) are also pretty powerful programs worth investigating.

As for the biorhythm app, I wonder if there would be an elegant way to add critical and mini-critical days for P-E-I (as per Jacyntha Crawley's book and the 1970's KOSMOS-1) to the graph, e.g. as semi-transparent vertical bars? Or as little LEDs running along the bottom? That would be a useful feature.

Regarding morinus and pymorinus, I can easily add packages for those since the PKGBUILDs work fine. I'll just need to add some *.desktop files so that way they pop up in the menu too.

For the biorhythm application, I can definitely do that (either the LEDs or semi-transparent vertical bars). I'm thinking of making the palette color for the criticals and minicriticals the same since the baseline is a pretty blatant indicator of which days are critical. Right now (with the test copy before I push it to github), I have it checking for the minicriticals and criticals during the plotting phase to take advantage of the calculations it's already doing. Just need to add the rectangles in the graph.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2013-01-06 02:48:01)

Clean
Github page

#23 2013-01-06 03:12:19

chris_l

I'm curious about something.

Why creating a distro based on arch, instead of creating an script to "convert" an existing arch installation? I think the idea is to provide a "pack" of several apps to arch linux, so maybe an script and maybe extra repos would be enough for that.

EDIT:
Oh, I just read the "Live CD" part XD

Oh.
Well, an script still would be useful for any occultist out there.
What you think?

Last edited by chris_l (2013-01-06 03:15:50)

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#24 2013-01-06 04:28:10

ShadowKyogre
Website

chris_l wrote:

I'm curious about something.

Why creating a distro based on arch, instead of creating an script to "convert" an existing arch installation? I think the idea is to provide a "pack" of several apps to arch linux, so maybe an script and maybe extra repos would be enough for that.

EDIT:
Oh, I just read the "Live CD" part XD

Oh.
Well, an script still would be useful for any occultist out there.
What you think?

Since there already is a custom repository that's built against the Arch Linux repository, you can follow the instructions here to enable the custom repository. :S I forgot the part where you have to add my GPG key (keyid: 831265B5) as per the instructions in pacman-key's Arch Linux Wiki page on that web page. Installing packages from the custom repositories should be simple once they're enabled. As I mentioned before, I'm also working on a script for the install cd that helps set up some of the default configuration you can find on the Live CD.

Clean
Github page

#25 2013-01-06 06:48:04

Morn

ShadowKyogre wrote:

Regarding morinus and pymorinus, I can easily add packages for those since the PKGBUILDs work fine. I'll just need to add some *.desktop files so that way they pop up in the menu too.

The Windows version is using "Res/Morinus.jpg" for its icon. But maybe there's something better? Morinus.jpg would have to be cropped anyway because KDE resizes non-square icons to squares.

Board footer