You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-04 01:09:46

punter

any guide on Arch base reinstallation, system repair, etc. ?

hi guys,

my Arch installation dates back to 2008 - haven't reinstalled since; just been using pacman -Syu with minor tweaks and fixes.
I think the time has come up to do something slightly more comprehensive than pacman -Syu ; not sure exactly what.

everything is still operational, so no complaints... but I'm getting the odd red flags at boot-up because of depreciated rc.conf and some daemons fail to start.
is there any user guide on e.g. reinstalling the base system within Arch? or reinstalling with minimal configuration afterwards?
I think much of my system is still running with old setups / configurations, rather than recommended configurations if that makes sense.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Shane

#2 2013-01-04 01:31:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: any guide on Arch base reinstallation, system repair, etc. ?

If you have been consistently -Syu'ing, then the only change you should need to make is to move to systemd. No need for a reinstall.

The wiki page has the details; the upshot is it is a quick and painless process, once you have read the relevant docmentation and made the necessary changes to your .conf files...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-01-04 03:05:30

drcouzelis
Website

Re: any guide on Arch base reinstallation, system repair, etc. ?

Also, the "man archlinux" is really simple, really concise, and really helpful for fixing those little warnings.

Board footer