You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-16 23:33:11

kaipee

systemd switchover - pyload.service always fails

I have finally moved my home server over to systemd (last night) and spent today enabling all relevant daemons and services and rebooting.
I'm now faced with a number of issues, including a slowdown of the system and SSH login (gone from 1-2 seconds login to ~15 seconds to login)

I will created separate threads for each issue / service.

pyload.service always fails to start

I have re-run the setup using pyLoadCore -s and everything goes smoothly, I am even able to access the web interface. However, when I exit out of terminal the service stops, so I try to load it using systemctl and it does the same as with my httpd.service issue - it begins, works for a few seconds/minute and then fails. During this small timeframe everything works fine before it fails.

It is beginning to look like there is some issue with systemctl not letting specific services to fully load, or something (I don't know lol)

#2 2012-12-17 02:50:21

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: systemd switchover - pyload.service always fails

kaipee wrote:

I will created separate threads for each issue / service.

This is going to get tiresome fast if you can't be bothered to do the bare minimal learning about how units work.

Without posting the unit file, you aren't going to get much help. pyload.service isn't anything that's shipped in the repos.

Last edited by falconindy (2012-12-17 02:51:03)

#3 2012-12-17 09:49:37

kaipee

Unit file for pyload:

[Unit]
Description=pyLoad Core
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/bin/pyLoadCore --daemon --configdir=/home/http/.config/pyload
Restart=on-abort
KillSignal=SIGQUIT
PIDFile=/var/pyload/pyload.pid
USER=pyload
GROUP=download
UMask=0775

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I'm also having the exact same issues with other services, such as httpd. It seems like systemd loads it successfully then doesn't realise it's running > waits for around a minute > then quits and reports as failed

Last edited by kaipee (2012-12-17 09:49:58)

#4 2012-12-17 14:14:45

falconindy
Developer
Website

I strongly doubt that pyload puts its PIDFile in /var/pyload. Are you sure that isn't meant to be /var/run/pyload (better yet, just pass the --pidfile flag)? If the PIDFile never shows up, systemd will assume that the service isn't running and will kill it, as you're seeing.

#5 2012-12-17 14:24:54

kaipee

pyload is within AUR, which includes its own pyload.service file. I didn't create it.

I have just noticed that someone has updated the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PyLoad) with a newer/better unit file. I will try that and see how things go.

#6 2012-12-17 14:31:58

falconindy
Developer
Website

Why not understand the mechanism rather than randomly try things? This is why you're going to continue to post tons of threads asking the same question.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

#7 2012-12-17 14:37:37

kaipee

Because I spent about 10 hours doing a full system switchover and cleaning up the mess including around 20 pacnew files. I thought it would have been easy to ask someone for a bit of help looking at something with a fresh set of eyes what with it being a 'support' forum and all.

Why not try providing advice/guidance instead of bashing from the offset?

#8 2012-12-17 16:44:55

falconindy
Developer
Website

I pointed out why the unit you have might not be working and gave a plausible explanation based on systemd's mechanism for dealing with startup of units of Type=forking. Quite frankly, you ignored my advice/guidance.

#9 2012-12-17 17:07:58

kaipee

I haven't ignored it, I haven't even got access to the machine yet to do anything.
The new (updated) service file contains the changes to the pid file, which I will try first as it also contains other changes.

#10 2013-01-05 11:56:23

onny
Website

I packed a minimal config file into pyLoad, so that the daemon runs 'out of the box' now without further interference. Nevertheless, run

pyLoadCore --configdir /var/pyload -s

to setup pyLoad correctly.

#11 2013-01-05 12:18:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

kaipee wrote:

Because I spent about 10 hours doing a full system switchover and cleaning up the mess including around 20 pacnew files. I thought it would have been easy to ask someone for a bit of help looking at something with a fresh set of eyes what with it being a 'support' forum and all.

While I can empathize with the ammount of work you may have had to do, this forum is not here for questions users could easily answer on their own except they are just to tired/lazy to do so.  You expect someone else to do the leg work for you when you are unwilling?

Again, I can empathize with being tired.  But if you are tired, have a beer and a good night's sleep and come back to working on your system with your own fresh set of eyes.  You are right that this can be a support forum - but it is not a servant forum.

If/when you have done your own work and still face challenges, we are here to help.  But most here also prefer to help by guiding a user in finding their own answers rather than giving them an answer they don't understand - the whole "teach a man to fish..."

So don't ask for fish-hand-outs.  Come with rod in hand asking where to cast.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer