You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-13 08:44:24

ntide

Upon "startx" command, console freezes at "Loading extension GLX"

I'm installing Arch Linux on VirtualBox, with Linux Mint 14 as my host operating system. I followed the Beginners' Guide to the letter, and I installed virtualbox-guest-utils in lieu of installing video drivers (since I'm in VirtualBox). However, when I initialize an X session with "startx", the console freezes at "Loading extension GLX":

af28B.png

A "grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log" shows me this:

S7ZmQ.png

I have no idea what to do. Would anyone mind lending me a helping hand? Please tell me if I'm not posting enough debug info.

Thanks!

#2 2013-01-13 09:08:37

DSpider

Re: Upon "startx" command, console freezes at "Loading extension GLX"

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2013-01-13 15:27:38

ntide

Meh, that doesn't work.

Ugh, this is so frustrating. I've tried installing Arch like 3 times now, and every time I end up with a problem that I don't know how to debug. Shiiiiiiit...I'm gonna set up a third partition for Arch and see if I don't run into this problem on a native install.

#4 2013-01-13 15:56:15

stryder

Basically there is a problem with vboxvideo, some issue with the latest glibc. Check out this post (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=155450) and the bug report linked there. You can resolve by not loading vboxvideo which will lose you 3D acceleration but X will run.

#5 2013-01-13 15:59:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ntide wrote:

Meh, that doesn't work ...Ugh, this is so frustrating. I've tried installing Arch like 3 times now

"That doesn't work" is not a productive progress report.  It certainly wouldn't give the same errors.  If it's frustrating for you, imagine how it feels for someone who tried to offer a suggestion and got back only "Meh, it doesn't work."  Perhaps instead of trying the same thing three times in a row, you'd actually start troubleshooting.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-01-14 02:07:40

ntide

Thanks for the help guys! I got a native Arch install to work. big_smile Sorry if I pissed you off Trilby.

At the very least, people with the same problem can now find this topic on the forums.

#7 2013-01-15 12:11:13

stryder

Well, you better not piss him further. Edit your first post and add "[solved]" to your thread title. smile

Board footer