You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-21 01:18:43

derickoreo

Sound not functioning in Windows 7 after Arch install

I installed Arch about a week ago, and since then, I have not had any sound output from my headphone jack in Windows. My speakers work perfectly fine. I have since reinstalled all sound drivers, and even ran a system restore to the time before I installed Arch, but nothing made a difference.
My sound is working perfectly fine in Arch.

My laptop is an Asus K53E.

Information about my audio device:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1b43
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Thanks in advance. I assume that the problem is specific to my machine's specs, since googling this issue didn't do much good.

#2 2013-01-21 15:00:55

nomorewindows

Re: Sound not functioning in Windows 7 after Arch install

There was another person on the forums who had the same problem.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2013-01-21 16:21:00

Canard

Here and here at least.
I have the same issue on a Clevo W150HM.

#4 2013-01-21 16:56:21

derickoreo

I removed the battery from my laptop for six minutes or so, and booted directly into windows. The audio was normal after that, so I am assuming this is a pulsaudio issue. I then booted into Arch, then windows again, and no audio once more. I assume that the others experiencing this issue are running Gnome...

So the issue now is, how do I safely remove/disable pulseaudio in Gnome?

:: gnome-settings-daemon: requires pulseaudio
:: pulseaudio-alsa: requires pulseaudio

#5 2013-01-21 17:22:35

chris_l

Check this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=928817

Also, not sure about being a problem with pulseaudio.
Try to kill the pulseaudio daemon, and play something using alsa. Then reboot to windows, to check if the problem is present.

If pulseaudio is actually the problem, well, do those steps. Maybe you'll need to recompile gnome... or just change to another DE or to a plain WM (Do you really need gnome?)

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#6 2013-01-22 02:12:50

derickoreo

I removed pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa, but kept their dependencies, but the problem still exists. I am really baffled here...I don't know how an issue like this can carry from one OS to another.

No, I do not need gnome, KDE will surely suffice, but until I actually figure out what the real issue is here, I don't want to completely remove an entire DE hastily.

#7 2013-01-22 04:51:40

derickoreo

I tested to see if shutting down the system would yeild the same results as removing the battery and it does. If I simply shut down before booting between operating systems, Windows' audio works correctly.

Still, this problem alludes me. Since I have all of gnome's packages cached in pkg, I decided to remove it completely from my system just to check if the problem is associated with gnome. However, the problem persists...unless there are other suggestions, I am going to keep gnome, and simply shut down everytime I want to switch between Arch and Windows, to assure audio functionality.

#8 2013-01-22 17:24:15

chris_l

Yeah, keep gnome, for what you said, I don't think is a gnome/pulseaudio problem at all; it looks more like a problem with the snd_hda_intel driver.

I would do trial and error tests with the snd_hda_intel options, read about them here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568

...maybe if you remove the module from memory before restarting to windows... I don't know, is just a shot in the dark

# rmmod snd_hda_intel

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#9 2013-02-17 11:11:20

conchyliferous

Well... Removing the intel driver didn't work. Still need to halt the system and pull the plug.

I will try to unload all sound related modules and see if that helps. Still all modules should be unloaded automatically when Arch is going down...

Last edited by conchyliferous (2013-02-17 11:13:08)

Board footer