You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-21 20:51:21

MrCode

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

I prefer dark themes myself, mostly because I don't spend a lot of time with my laptop in an area where there's a ton of light, so I don't want the contrast difference burning my eyes out of their sockets.  I also generally prefer the aesthetic, because it's…well, different.  tongue

#27 2013-01-21 21:54:50

blackout23

My experience is that dark themes are great if you are sitting in your room at night and the only light is coming from your monitor.
But that's not what I want to do. During the afternoon I found it hard to make out some of the UI elements with dark themes.

#28 2013-01-21 23:21:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

@Bohoomil

Feeling blue?

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-21 23:22:08)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#29 2013-01-22 12:39:33

bohoomil
Website

Trilby wrote:

Feeling blue?

Like Papa Smurf... wink

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#30 2013-01-22 15:33:52

Shark

blackout23 wrote:

My experience is that dark themes are great if you are sitting in your room at night and the only light is coming from your monitor.
But that's not what I want to do. During the afternoon I found it hard to make out some of the UI elements with dark themes.

I concur with you. I have a grey, rather dark, UI and my backlight is almost at zero. I find this set up most convenient. At night i use xflux program.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#31 2013-01-22 16:20:17

alphaniner

Shark wrote:

At night i use xflux program.

Have you tried redshift?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#32 2013-01-22 16:30:39

Shark

alphaniner wrote:
Shark wrote:

At night i use xflux program.

Have you tried redshift?

Yes, i have tried it months ago and i can not remember the reason i abandoned it. I don't think there was any sound reason for this. So then i accidentally found xflux and i am quite happy with it. Do you recommend redshift over xflux?

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

#33 2013-02-06 21:40:47

jrk

I'm using the Solarized color scheme in its lighter variant for my terminals and vim. (Looks just like the page itself).
Some of the practical reasons why I prefer a brighter color scheme over a darker one:

• Running my LCD monitors on 0% brightness. This means less staring-like-into-a-light-bulb (light themes are truly eye-friendly!) and reduced energy consumption (don't underestimate this, it can make a difference of 50-100W).

• You don't fry your eyes when switching from a bright website or pdf to a terminal/editor

• Your laptop display can run on lower brightness setting, therefore less power consumption, which equals prolonged battery running time

• Yet the screen is better readable in sunlight (which can be even unreadable at 100% brightness with a dark color scheme due to reflection)

Aesthetically you'll get used to it. I couldn't stand light color schemes for quite some time, however now I can't stand dark ones anymore. smile
Hope this helps your decision.

#34 2013-02-07 10:13:17

Shark

jrk wrote:

I'm using the Solarized color scheme in its lighter variant for my terminals and vim. (Looks just like the page itself).
Some of the practical reasons why I prefer a brighter color scheme over a darker one:

• Running my LCD monitors on 0% brightness. This means less staring-like-into-a-light-bulb (light themes are truly eye-friendly!) and reduced energy consumption (don't underestimate this, it can make a difference of 50-100W).

• You don't fry your eyes when switching from a bright website or pdf to a terminal/editor

• Your laptop display can run on lower brightness setting, therefore less power consumption, which equals prolonged battery running time

• Yet the screen is better readable in sunlight (which can be even unreadable at 100% brightness with a dark color scheme due to reflection)

Aesthetically you'll get used to it. I couldn't stand light color schemes for quite some time, however now I can't stand dark ones anymore. smile
Hope this helps your decision.

Hi!

Days ago i have decided to have a light, grey, theme and the backlight set almost to zero (10%). And i must say i am really satisfied with the current configuration.

Henry David Thoreau

#35 2013-02-07 22:45:46

dag

I have used dark themes in the past but they do cause issues like input boxes and apps not completely complying with the theme(ever had to highlight text to see it). recently I have chosen a lighter theme slicknesS. and for console I use transparency about 30%-40% black to compensate for light backgrounds. I am liking it though I do find it bright and like those above will probably change brightness.

thumb.png

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

#36 2013-02-09 11:25:34

bloom
Website

The theme used should be in accordance with the lightning conditions.

gh · da · ds

#37 2013-02-09 13:31:38

Shark

bloom wrote:

The theme used should be in accordance with the lightning conditions.

It makes sense but are you having two separate themes for day and night ocasion?

Henry David Thoreau

#38 2013-02-09 14:15:49

bloom
Website

Shark wrote:

It makes sense but are you having two separate themes for day and night ocasion?

Yes I do.

gh · da · ds

#39 2013-02-09 18:05:36

thatsallyourspaceships

prefer a solarized color to dark themes afterall there is still brightness cntrll

#40 2013-02-09 20:31:44

sitquietly

Shark wrote:

.....What is your thought? Which color scheme is better for the eyes by your opinion?

This has been a good discussion for me, a typical STIIO Arch discussion (Solid Technical Info and Informed Opinions).  I didn't know about solarized color schemes and your input on that was particularly helpful.  I'm happily solarizing my (Gentoo) system and so far it seems to be a very good improvement for me.  Just what I wanted...

Board footer