You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-21 20:51:21

MrCode
Member
Registered: 2010-02-06
Posts: 373

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

I prefer dark themes myself, mostly because I don't spend a lot of time with my laptop in an area where there's a ton of light, so I don't want the contrast difference burning my eyes out of their sockets.  I also generally prefer the aesthetic, because it's…well, different.  tongue

Offline

#27 2013-01-21 21:54:50

blackout23
Member
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 780

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

My experience is that dark themes are great if you are sitting in your room at night and the only light is coming from your monitor.
But that's not what I want to do. During the afternoon I found it hard to make out some of the UI elements with dark themes.

Offline

#28 2013-01-21 23:21:24

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 14,793
Website

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

@Bohoomil

Feeling blue?

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-21 23:22:08)


InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

Offline

#29 2013-01-22 12:39:33

bohoomil
Member
Registered: 2010-09-04
Posts: 2,376
Website

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

Trilby wrote:

Feeling blue?

Like Papa Smurf... wink


:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

Offline

#30 2013-01-22 15:33:52

Shark
Member
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 663

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

blackout23 wrote:

My experience is that dark themes are great if you are sitting in your room at night and the only light is coming from your monitor.
But that's not what I want to do. During the afternoon I found it hard to make out some of the UI elements with dark themes.

I concur with you. I have a grey, rather dark, UI and my backlight is almost at zero. I find this set up most convenient. At night i use xflux program.


If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

Offline

#31 2013-01-22 16:20:17

alphaniner
Member
From: Ancapistan
Registered: 2010-07-12
Posts: 2,778

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

Shark wrote:

At night i use xflux program.

Have you tried redshift?


But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Offline

#32 2013-01-22 16:30:39

Shark
Member
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 663

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

alphaniner wrote:
Shark wrote:

At night i use xflux program.

Have you tried redshift?

Yes, i have tried it months ago and i can not remember the reason i abandoned it. I don't think there was any sound reason for this. So then i accidentally found xflux and i am quite happy with it. Do you recommend redshift over xflux?


If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

Offline

#33 2013-02-06 21:40:47

jrk
Member
From: Nämberch
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 29

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

I'm using the Solarized color scheme in its lighter variant for my terminals and vim. (Looks just like the page itself).
Some of the practical reasons why I prefer a brighter color scheme over a darker one:

  • Running my LCD monitors on 0% brightness. This means less staring-like-into-a-light-bulb (light themes are truly eye-friendly!) and reduced energy consumption (don't underestimate this, it can make a difference of 50-100W).

  • You don't fry your eyes when switching from a bright website or pdf to a terminal/editor

  • Your laptop display can run on lower brightness setting, therefore less power consumption, which equals prolonged battery running time

  • Yet the screen is better readable in sunlight (which can be even unreadable at 100% brightness with a dark color scheme due to reflection)

Aesthetically you'll get used to it. I couldn't stand light color schemes for quite some time, however now I can't stand dark ones anymore. smile
Hope this helps your decision.

Offline

#34 2013-02-07 10:13:17

Shark
Member
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 663

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

jrk wrote:

I'm using the Solarized color scheme in its lighter variant for my terminals and vim. (Looks just like the page itself).
Some of the practical reasons why I prefer a brighter color scheme over a darker one:

  • Running my LCD monitors on 0% brightness. This means less staring-like-into-a-light-bulb (light themes are truly eye-friendly!) and reduced energy consumption (don't underestimate this, it can make a difference of 50-100W).

  • You don't fry your eyes when switching from a bright website or pdf to a terminal/editor

  • Your laptop display can run on lower brightness setting, therefore less power consumption, which equals prolonged battery running time

  • Yet the screen is better readable in sunlight (which can be even unreadable at 100% brightness with a dark color scheme due to reflection)

Aesthetically you'll get used to it. I couldn't stand light color schemes for quite some time, however now I can't stand dark ones anymore. smile
Hope this helps your decision.

Hi!

Days ago i have decided to have a light, grey, theme and the backlight set almost to zero (10%). And i must say i am really satisfied with the current configuration.


If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

Offline

#35 2013-02-07 22:45:46

dag
Member
From: US
Registered: 2013-01-20
Posts: 216

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

I have used dark themes in the past but they do cause issues like input boxes and apps not completely complying with the theme(ever had to highlight text to see it). recently I have chosen a lighter theme slicknesS. and for console I use transparency about 30%-40% black to compensate for light backgrounds. I am liking it though I do find it bright and like those above will probably change brightness.

thumb.png


--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

Offline

#36 2013-02-09 11:25:34

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

The theme used should be in accordance with the lightning conditions.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#37 2013-02-09 13:31:38

Shark
Member
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 663

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

bloom wrote:

The theme used should be in accordance with the lightning conditions.

It makes sense but are you having two separate themes for day and night ocasion?


If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

Offline

#38 2013-02-09 14:15:49

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

Shark wrote:

It makes sense but are you having two separate themes for day and night ocasion?

Yes I do.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#39 2013-02-09 18:05:36

thatsallyourspaceships
Member
Registered: 2012-06-03
Posts: 20

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

prefer a solarized color to dark themes afterall there is still brightness cntrll

Offline

#40 2013-02-09 20:31:44

sitquietly
Member
From: Moscow, Tennessee
Registered: 2010-07-12
Posts: 216

Re: Dark or bright theme? Which is better for the eyes?

Shark wrote:

.....What is your thought? Which color scheme is better for the eyes by your opinion?

This has been a good discussion for me, a typical STIIO Arch discussion (Solid Technical Info and Informed Opinions).  I didn't know about solarized color schemes and your input on that was particularly helpful.  I'm happily solarizing my (Gentoo) system and so far it seems to be a very good improvement for me.  Just what I wanted...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB