You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-15 00:16:27

cfr

Queries about sshfs

I wonder if anybody can point to an example of a sshfs idmap file? I know it is possible to use this but I have no idea how to set it up and unless I've missed something, I can't find this information in the man pages or on the wiki. I did find some interesting forum threads but they weren't actually relevant, despite being independently interesting.

What I'm particularly interested to know is whether it is possible to use such a file to map a user's secondary groups as well as uid and primary gid. Using the idmap=user option on the command line, I get uid and, I think, primary gid mapping but not, I think, secondary stuff.

I also wondered if I can use the file to map one gid to a different gid. (Fedora has more default stuff set up so I couldn't always pick the same id numbers when I set up users and groups on my desktop as I'd used on my  Arch laptop.)

I'm not sure if this is related or not. When I have my desktop filesystem mounted using sshfs, I can navigate to a directory under ~ and I can copy a file from one place on the remote system to another. I can also delete the file. But I cannot move the file as I get told that I don't have permission. Could somebody explain why that is?

Background
------------------

Remote machine is running Fedora. sshd server is running and accepts connections.

Laptop is running Arch. ssh works fine. Filesystem mounts fine with sshfs etc. I'm using gpg-agent with a qt pinentry programme. This required modifying KDE's setup to avoid having two agents running but this is all working fine. The only issues I really have are those mentioned above. Everything else works really nicely. My most recent version of the command is:

sshfs -o idmap=user,transform_symlinks <myalias>:/ /mnt/<myalias>/

Where <myalias> is an alias for the relevant ip address set up in ssh.conf.

Note that I in fact know that this is probably not the ideal way to set things up for my purposes. I really need to sync particular directories. However, the directories in question are large and I'm not sure this is really manageable. Basically, a directory with a *lot* of pdf files. The really critical stuff is synced via wuala and is mostly text files. I suspect, though, that this is probably the best I can do right now. Basically, I try to remember what I need to copy back and forth for the non-synced stuff. (I'm not very good at this.) Anyway, the stuff I manage manually would just be a little bit easier if I could use mv rather than cp -p followed by rm!

Last edited by cfr (2013-01-15 00:18:24)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2013-01-24 17:42:49

rwd

Re: Queries about sshfs

Wouldn't you need LDAP to keep all group memberships across systems?

#3 2013-01-25 02:05:06

cfr

Re: Queries about sshfs

I don't know. I've never tried this before. I'm not even certain that's the problem - just my current best guess.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer