You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-26 01:24:13

jm-pctech

[SOLVED] General problems: network won't work, GNOME has blank screen

Hi y'all, I'm new to ArchLinux and Linux in general but wanted to get something better than Ubuntu and ArchLinux seems like somethinI can learn from and have a really nice system with. Instlalled ArchLinux once already on an old computer with GNOME3 and currently wirthing this post one it. I want ArchLunix on my main computer but i keep running tinto prbblems and i need some help.

ok, after install i get no network connectivity, when i had installed xorg packages and GNOME; GNOME loads on boot and then my monitor says "Digital, lost signal." I have followed the beginngers instructions to the tee but nothing. please help. in all fairness, i already installed ArchLinux once on another computer and works great (probably need better video drivers but for this computer no need)

more info below...

My main computer is an
AMD Phenom x4
ATI Radeon HD 3650
ASUS M3A32-MVP Wifi delexue deluxe
Seagate 160gb SATA 3 (small hdd aint it? haha -- Linux is second best to my other OS) smile

After i followed the beginners installation, few keys things to note is i installed ifplugd and did as directed accordingly and did do 'systemctl enable net-auto-wired.service' before i reboot. Afterwards, I reboot and login as root and try to ping google or my router i get 'unknown host google.com' and 'network is unreachable' respectivly. So i followed the beginners instructions for the wired connection as describe before beginning to install Arch and it worked until i reboot and lost network again. I can no longer access the network nor do as the instructions said (ip link set enp3s0 up; ip addr add x.x.x.x/24 dev enp3s0; etc...) again because i get the error 'Error: either "local" is duplicate, or "enp3s0" is garbage.'

Before, i had other installs that still had network problems but i also got GNOME installed but when i reboot it automatically loads GNOME and then my monitor says something like 'Digital, no singal'. I am using a DVI and later want dual monitors but i have unplug the second one for now. I want to install the lastest driver driver for my card but i saw that i need a ?older? version of xorg because it is incompatible. catalyst-total-hd234k from Vi0L0.
How to install and ?rebuild? the kernel?
Should i install an older version of xorg and if so how?    i saw somewhere in the wiki on installing from the AUR but not as concern to do it till i can get 'startx'/gnome working properly with  genric drivers, x86-video-vesa' and have the network working too.

If you need any more info, please let me know and if you need logs, let me know how to get to them. I am a newbie but willing to learn and have learn few things and I am trying to do this on my own but been at this for a mutliple times without success and getting aggravated. It was easy on the other computer but this computer isn't. I really like ArchLinux over Fedora and other distros.

thanks in advance
-jm-pctech

Last edited by jm-pctech (2013-01-26 22:36:00)

#2 2013-01-26 03:57:04

jm-pctech

Re: [SOLVED] General problems: network won't work, GNOME has blank screen

update
network works, right now tit satisfactory to type 'dhcpcd enp3s0' and xorg works, tested startx and i got the basic.

update
now GNOME works. about time.

Last edited by jm-pctech (2013-01-26 04:22:53)

#3 2013-01-26 10:30:20

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] General problems: network won't work, GNOME has blank screen

Does it mean that everything works? If so, please mark the thread as solved https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

Welcome to Arch Linux :-)

Board footer