You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-28 03:24:09

gay

[SOLVED] e17 screen does not lock on blanking

hi all,

this question has been asked before in another thread ( https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1210628 ) but has not been answered there (as far as I see).

I have the current version of enlightenment17; it is possible to initiate a screen lock manually (main menue -> system -> lock) which works perfectly fine. however on blanking the screen does not lock. I am unable to find any setting in the settings panel which controls this behavior and with wich I could change that.

a google search turned up that it was apparently possible to set the time before screen lock in main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen -> screen lock. this, however, is not the case any more (if it ever was); it holds only directives on the locking behavior on suspend etc.

e17 does not seem to have any plain text config files (contents of ~/.e/e/config/ are all binary as far as I see) so, there does not seem to be an easy way to try the back end. further I'm unable to find any hint on this in any forum or documentation or anywhere on the internet. however, since others also should be having this problem, I'm sure that I'm missing something, probably something rather obvious.

thanks ...

Last edited by gay (2013-02-11 02:45:59)

We are exactly the people our parents always warned us about.

#2 2013-01-28 14:25:24

lpb331

Re: [SOLVED] e17 screen does not lock on blanking

Do you have the screen module loaded?

#3 2013-01-29 09:54:23

89c51

lpb331 wrote:

Do you have the screen module loaded?

Is this module included by default on e17??

Last edited by 89c51 (2013-01-29 09:54:32)

#4 2013-01-29 14:37:15

lpb331

It should be.  You'll have to check in the settings whether you have it though.

#5 2013-01-29 15:02:58

10PinkPanther

Screen module isn't included by default.

#6 2013-01-30 02:19:11

lpb331

How did you install e17?  I used the easye17 script, so that explains why I thought the screen module was in there by default.

#7 2013-01-30 02:46:15

Scimmia
Fellow

89c51, 10PinkPanther: AFAIK, the screen module is part of the default install.

/usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/conf_display/

#8 2013-01-30 08:57:08

gay

thanks lpb331, 89c51, 10PinkPanther, and Scimmia, for your hints.

1. yes, it appears, the said module /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/conf_display is installed by default

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/conf_display/module.desktop 
/usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/conf_display/module.desktop is owned by enlightenment17 0.17.0-1

enlightenment17 is the default package

2. the module itself says

cat /

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
Name=Screen
(...)
X-Enlightenment-ModuleType=settings

which seems to suggest that this module is the same that may be loaded in main menu -> settings -> modules -> settings -> screen

this module is loaded in my system. I can unload and reload it. if unloaded, almost the entire screen section in the settings panel (main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen) vanishes with "screen resolution" the only remeining configuration option. this would suggest that the other 4 options i have there (virtual desktops, screen lock, blanking, and backlight) are defined in this module or do somehow depend on it. however, as mentioned before, trying to enable automatic screen lock by trying to make changes to these options was not successful.

3. main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen -> 'screen lock' offers to define a 'custom screenlock command'. maybe I could try to put the default screenlock command in there in order to insist that it is used. that is, I could do that if I knew the default screenlock command. what is the default screenlock command or how could I obtain that information which command this is?

4. since you all discussed whether or not I had this module loaded: does this mean that the options you have in main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen -> 'screen lock' or in main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen -> 'blanking' are different from those I have and allow you to explicitely switch screen lock on blanking on and off and / or set the timeout?

5. could it be that screen lock depends on other packages that may not be installed or on hidden configuration optons that are not accessible via the graphical settings panel (in some situations, like this one, I would prefer having a human readable plain text config file anyway. it would facilitate communicating what my configuration actually looks like)

#9 2013-01-31 16:29:35

89c51

Could it be the case that it requires xscreensaver or something??

#10 2013-02-08 02:19:41

gay

89c51 wrote:

Could it be the case that it requires xscreensaver or something??

No, unfortunately not. xscreensaver has nothing to do with e17's screen lock. I have had a look at another system (not up to date, last updated in december, running enlightenment-0.17.0lucky-1, xscreensaver is not installed, screen lock in enlightenment works)
I also suspected that entrance-svn from AUR might be required. But this is also not the solution.

2. Since (see above) the screen lock does work when initiated manually, I'd only need to know the command used to trigger this screen lock. This could then be set as the custom screen lock in  main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen -> screen lock -> custom screenlock command - and the problem would be solved. However, I have no idea which command this is or how to find that out.

3. There are commands that can sometimes apparently be used to trigger e17's screen lock including the following

enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock

and

dbus-send --print-reply=literal --dest=org.enlightenment.wm.service /org/enlightenment/wm/RemoteObject org.enlightenment.wm.Desktop.Lock

However, on none of the systems with e17 I have access to these two commands do work, because:

$ enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Lock" with signature "" on interface "org.enlightenment.wm.Desktop" doesn't exist
$

and

$ dbus-send --print-reply=literal --dest=org.enlightenment.wm.service /org/enlightenment/wm/RemoteObject org.enlightenment.wm.Desktop.Lock
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Lock" with signature "" on interface "org.enlightenment.wm.Desktop" doesn't exist
$

and if run from a terminal instead of from the desktop environment

$ DESKTOP=:0.0 enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.enlightenment.wm.service was not provided by any .service files
$

The error messages are the same on all systems regardless if the e17 screen lock does or does not work.

4. I was able to confim that the same happens in a fresh install (installed arch; installed enlightenment17 and a couple of other packages; no additional configuration regarding e17 ... result: screen blanks automatically after the given timeout, screen lock works when triggered manually; but no screen lock on blanking)

5. Since the e17 screen lock can apparently be unlocked by calling e_desklock_hide() from gdb (as discussed here: http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Extras), the screen lock function seems to be e_desklock_show() from the same c object file. (However, a dirty hack wich utilized gdb does also not seem to be the proper way to fix this; moreover, when I tried, gdb threw me a "No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command." error.)

6. The same or a very similar problem is discussed in other forums in this thread http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6993056.html and in that one http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.p … d-One-quot ... neither of the two solves the problem... sad

7. Is it possible that e17 has thrown out this feature (screen lock on blanking) alltogether because they are somehow under the impression that screen lock is only necessary on suspend? Otherwise, I still think that I might be overlooking something very simple and fairly obvious, I just can't think of anything...

Last edited by gay (2013-02-08 02:21:08)

#11 2013-02-08 10:12:01

89c51

Better ask in the #e channel at freenode. Devs hang around there so you might get an answer to this. Or sent a message to the user mailing list. I am interested in this although i didnt bother digging into it.

#12 2013-02-11 02:45:29

gay

thanks. people on the e17 mailing list had a solution - as anticipated a fairly simple one. the screen lock configuration (main menu -> settings -> settings panel -> screen -> screen lock) has serveral more tabs to the right (hidden because of the small size of that window in standard configuration) including one named "timers". the said option can be enabled there.

they also told me how to solve the above mentioned enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock issue: enable the dbus module (in main menu -> settings -> modules -> system); it then works fine.

Board footer