You are not logged in.

#1551 2013-01-20 02:24:09

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:

EDIT: For those who have gnome-screensaver working, you are all using LightDM as the display manager, right?

Yes , I can confirm that it works for me and I'm using LightDM.

Thanks! Now, I just need to test it with gdm.

#1552 2013-01-20 08:52:29

qiuwei

chenxiaolong wrote:

Do both of you have gnome-control-center-unity installed? The online accounts should work with my version of credentials-preferences in the git repo.

Yes, I'm using gnome-control-center-unity. I guess I didn't make the problem clear. The online accounts works, but sometimes the password is outdated then there will be a new menu item for notification in the system menu,  if you click on it, it can't bring you to the online accounts setting application but the global system setting instead.

Is somehow similar to the *change background*'s behavior. Not long ago, it works as expected to bring users directly to the application of setting background. But now it only goes to the global system setting application.

#1553 2013-01-21 12:39:02

divansantana

I did full install and didn't have extra/gnome-screensaver installed.
Installed it manually and rebooted (using lightdm packages).

Did:
ps aux | grep gnome-screensaver

No process running, so it seems it doesn't start automatically.

Do I make it start automatically by manually populating /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.ScreenSaver.service for now?

Then if I launch it
gnome-screensaver so it runs in background and use gnome-screensaver-command -l it locks as expected.

On the lightdm note, anyone know how to make it autologin. I can check the box in user accounts but it doesn't save and/or take effect.

#1554 2013-01-21 16:01:40

divansantana

Online accounts works 100% for me.
It did require me to install some packages.

I documented that and a few other little issues here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … e_Shooting

#1555 2013-01-21 19:04:50

illusionmist

qiuwei wrote:

Do both of you have gnome-control-center-unity installed? The online accounts should work with my version of credentials-preferences in the git repo.

Yup. I've got all packages in Unity-for-Arch (except some lenses I don't need) installed.

divansantana wrote:

On the lightdm note, anyone know how to make it autologin. I can check the box in user accounts but it doesn't save and/or take effect.

Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and change the following lines:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=your_user
autologin-user-timeout=0

The wiki also noted something about PAM but it looks different on my end and ignoring it doesn't hurt at all, so the above 2 lines alone should do the trick.

#1556 2013-01-21 20:29:02

divansantana

divansantana wrote:

I did full install and didn't have extra/gnome-screensaver installed.
Installed it manually and rebooted (using lightdm packages).

Did:
ps aux | grep gnome-screensaver

No process running, so it seems it doesn't start automatically.

Do I make it start automatically by manually populating /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.ScreenSaver.service for now?

Ok I populated the above file and now screen saver works perfect. Updated wiki too.

@illusionmist lightdm thing worked like a charm, thanks.

#1557 2013-01-23 16:00:06

xgdgsc

I found indicator-session depends gnome-packagekit and it installs updates without notifications on my machine and ignoring IgnorePKG in pacman.conf as well, which might cause problems for me. Where can I turn it off?

#1558 2013-01-23 16:03:40

chenxiaolong

xgdgsc wrote:

I found indicator-session depends gnome-packagekit and it installs updates without notifications on my machine and ignoring IgnorePKG in pacman.conf as well, which might cause problems for me. Where can I turn it off?

Just open the "Software" application and go to the preferences. I think the default is to check for updates daily. Just change that to 'never' smile

You might want to file a bug at https://bugs.archlinux.org/ to have the Arch devs turn it off by default.

EDIT: You should be able to open the preferences if you run:

/usr/bin/gpk-prefs

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-01-23 16:05:26)

#1559 2013-01-23 16:51:43

xgdgsc

chenxiaolong wrote:
xgdgsc wrote:

Just open the "Software" application and go to the preferences. I think the default is to check for updates daily. Just change that to 'never' smile

You might want to file a bug at https://bugs.archlinux.org/ to have the Arch devs turn it off by default.

EDIT: You should be able to open the preferences if you run:

/usr/bin/gpk-prefs

Thanks for the solution. I'm not sure if it's unity related, so I didn't file the bug.

#1560 2013-01-24 04:02:27

xgdgsc

I sometimes cannot input to dash after activiting it with super key. And I have to restart unity or fcitx(a chinese input method) to get it working again. It didn't happen before when I was using ayatana repo.
I found a bug report here:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/877064
The problem might be related to input methods so might not be a problem for most of you.

#1561 2013-01-24 04:25:42

chenxiaolong

xgdgsc wrote:

I sometimes cannot input to dash after activiting it with super key. And I have to restart unity or fcitx(a chinese input method) to get it working again. It didn't happen before when I was using ayatana repo.
I found a bug report here:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/877064
The problem might be related to input methods so might not be a problem for most of you.

Does it only happen sometimes? If so, try disabling the autostart and start it manually after Unity loads.

Also, do you use:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export XMODIFIERS="@im=fcitx"

or

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

The Arch wiki says that the second one may have problems with not being able to type.

#1562 2013-01-25 12:18:40

divansantana

The empathy notifications in the launcher is not working for me. So if I get a unread instant message it reflects correctly under telepathy-indicator but does not reflect on the launcher empathy icon.
I have the following installed:

$ yaourt -Q| grep empathy
unity-extra/empathy-ubuntu 3.6.2.0ubuntu2-100 (gnome-extra)
$

Is it expected to be broken or working?

#1563 2013-01-25 17:14:11

qiuwei

divansantana wrote:

The empathy notifications in the launcher is not working for me. So if I get a unread instant message it reflects correctly under telepathy-indicator but does not reflect on the launcher empathy icon.
I have the following installed:

$ yaourt -Q| grep empathy
unity-extra/empathy-ubuntu 3.6.2.0ubuntu2-100 (gnome-extra)
$

Is it expected to be broken or working?

It should be working. I believed that it has been fixed since long ago. You need to install some other packages, but,, I'm not using it so I've no idea the exact name of the package.

#1564 2013-01-26 09:16:54

xgdgsc

chenxiaolong wrote:
xgdgsc wrote:

Does it only happen sometimes? If so, try disabling the autostart and start it manually after Unity loads.

Also, do you use:

or

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

The Arch wiki says that the second one may have problems with not being able to type.

I'm using the first one. And manually starting it after unity fully loads doesn't work for me either.
And I cannot activate the dash with super key on workspaces except the first one.

#1565 2013-01-28 07:20:48

chenxiaolong

<warning>A rant about something awesome in Ubuntu's infrastructure</warning>

I was reading about Ubuntu's infrastructure today and I must say that they have one of the most sophisticated and awesome infrastructure I seen from any distro. No, I'm not talking about Launchpad. I'm talking about their continuous integration server based on Jenkins (link here). Basically, what it does is track a source code repository, and then runs jobs for every commit, such as building the code and testing it.

If you take a look here: https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/, you can see all the automated tasks that Ubuntu does. However, what's really of interest is this: https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/view/cu2d/. That is the set of jobs introduced in Ubuntu 13.04 which does the automated building of the Unity stack. I'm sure you've seen something like "1.00daily12.34.56" in the package versions for Unity lately. That's the work of their Jenkins server. This is what they are doing:

1. Jenkins will continuously monitors the Launchpad bzr branches for new commits (or revisions as the bzr folks like to call it)
2. If a new commit is available, it will start executing the jobs
3. That commit will be download and will be marked as "unstable"
4. The package will then be built
5. Afterwards, the tests will be run ("make check", autopilot, etc)
6. If the package builds successfully and all the tests pass, then the package will be marked as "stable"
7. If the build is "stable", then it will automatically be packaged and uploaded to the Ubuntu 13.04 repository

Also, if you look here: https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/view/Rari … d%20Gnome/, you can see that they're tracking and doing automated builds for 100% of GNOME.

---

I'm just thinking about how awesome it would be if the AUR had something like this. For example, if all the *-{git,svn,hg,bzr,etc} packages could automatically get the latest commits, build and test them, then upload an updated PKGBUILD, that would be so darn useful smile

Btw, after I take the ACT, I'm thinking of setting up a very simple instance of Jenkins that will track upstream packages and upload PKGBUILDs to an unstable branch of Unity-for-Arch smile

</endofrant>

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-01-28 07:23:22)

#1566 2013-01-28 16:46:12

chenxiaolong

xgdgsc wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
xgdgsc wrote:

Also, do you use:

or

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

I'm using the first one. And manually starting it after unity fully loads doesn't work for me either.
And I cannot activate the dash with super key on workspaces except the first one.

I'm not sure why it's not working. I just did a fresh install of Arch in a VM, compiled all the Unity packages and tried out fcitx-googlepinyin. I can always type in the dash (in English) even if I'm in pinyin mode in another program.

I'm not sure about the workspace issue because I changed the key to Control Super, so the VM Unity doesn't conflict with the real Unity.

EDIT: This is what Ubuntu uses:

XIM=fcitx
XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/fcitx
XIM_ARGS=""
GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
DEPENDS="fcitx"

and it works fine in Ubuntu (with same versions of Unity as Arch). Maybe you could try that in your ~/.xprofile?

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-01-28 16:52:56)

#1567 2013-01-29 10:21:29

qiuwei

Just found a small bug, the button for toggling the size of the dashboard is not functional anymore.
I maximized it by accident, but now I can't find any way to toggle it back to normal size.

#1568 2013-01-29 18:54:21

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

Just found a small bug, the button for toggling the size of the dashboard is not functional anymore.
I maximized it by accident, but now I can't find any way to toggle it back to normal size.

I can reproduce that bug too (also in Ubuntu).

To change it back, just open dconf-editor and make sure com.unity looks like this: http://ompldr.org/vaDl4Mg

#1569 2013-01-29 19:44:36

qiuwei

Thanks, chenxiaolong.
I don't know why ubuntu considers my thinkpad x220 as netbook, maybe because the screen is too small.
Anyway, the workaround works pretty well.
Thanks!

#1570 2013-01-29 20:46:33

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

Thanks, chenxiaolong.
I don't know why ubuntu considers my thinkpad x220 as netbook, maybe because the screen is too small.
Anyway, the workaround works pretty well.
Thanks!

You're welcome!

I think Unity decides based on the vertical resolution. Unity thinks 1366x768 is a netbook, but 1280x800 is not (at least for my computers).

EDIT: Yep. From source code (unity-6.12.0daily13.01.25.1/dash/StandaloneDash.cpp):

#define WIDTH 1024
#define HEIGHT 768

If the screen resolution is <= either of those numbers, then it's a netbook.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-01-29 20:49:07)

#1571 2013-01-29 21:40:53

killyou

Hello.

I installed unity-greeter from AUR recetly and it is working fine but when I lock the screen (CTRL+ALT+L) then ugly gnome screensaver appears. Is there any way to make unity-greeter handle screen locking?

#1572 2013-01-30 19:20:22

chenxiaolong

killyou wrote:

Hello.

I installed unity-greeter from AUR recetly and it is working fine but when I lock the screen (CTRL+ALT+L) then ugly gnome screensaver appears. Is there any way to make unity-greeter handle screen locking?

The ugly gnome-screensaver appears because I haven't had a chance to package gnome-screensaver-ubuntu yet smile

There is a way to make unity-greeter handle the screen locking, but Ubuntu disabled it in one of their packages (I forgot which), because of some bugs.

#1573 2013-02-04 22:21:04

chenxiaolong

2013-02-04 Update Notes

There is now an official indicator-bluetooth package (not to be confused with City-Busz's indicator-bluetooth, which is actually gnome-bluetooth). Make sure to remove gnome-bluetooth-ubuntu first if it's still installed.

Yes! One less component to worry about when GNOME 3.8 drops all legacy stuff...

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/z5BuEEf.jpg

gtk3-ubuntu
Version: 3.6.4
Release: 0ubuntu6

gtk+3.0 (3.6.4-0ubuntu6) raring; urgency=low

* Cherry-pick upstream patches to only load CSS image data when needed,
    saving a substantial amount of memory.

-- Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com>  Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:04:06 +0000

gtk 3 should use less RAM in gnome-shell (or anything that loads images in CSS).

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-02-04 23:01:02)

#1574 2013-02-04 23:29:57

kuglee

When did gnome remove keyboard options? I've updated recently, but I don't know which packages to downgrade.

#1575 2013-02-04 23:37:23

Kopkins

My networking seems to have odd issues. After I boot, the gui for netoworking fails to detect any networks. Then I use wifi-menu from command line and it fails. If I try the gui again it will still not detwect any networks, another failure from the command line results in the gui picking up the networks and connecting the first try. But I don't want to have to do that everytime I turn on my computer. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kopkins

Last edited by Kopkins (2013-02-06 16:25:10)

Board footer