You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-31 14:26:40

ssl6

Converting Arch server to ESXi VM

I'm working on building a new server running VMware ESXi 5.1

I got my hands on a Sun X2200 for pennies and upgraded it to a pair of quad cores and i'm tossing in a raid controller to stripe a pair of SSD's.....she's puurty

anyhow, i'm looking at consolidating 3 of my servers into this thing, trying to reduce the footprint. One of these servers is my webserver running Arch Linux, so I'm curious, has anyone here converted an Arch Linux system to a VM?

I've glanced over the wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … _in_VMware

I installing arch into a vm is much the same as anything else realistically, I'm just looking for peoples experiences.

my plan is to install the openvm tools before capturing the system to a VM, just to have things ready, I imagine ill first need to boot the VM from the arch iso to rebuild the kernel image, other than that I'm hoping it goes smooth.

The other question I have, I'm running the LTS kernel, the wiki page says most of the wmware drivers are included in recent kernels, does this include the LTS kernel? does anyone know?

this is a signature

#2 2013-01-31 19:31:32

chris_l

Re: Converting Arch server to ESXi VM

ssl6 wrote:

One of these servers is my webserver running Arch Linux, so I'm curious, has anyone here converted an Arch Linux system to a VM?

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo … al_machine

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#3 2013-02-01 12:09:04

ssl6

Re: Converting Arch server to ESXi VM

I don't think that one is going to be relevant in this case as vmware has they're own tools for conversion bare metal systems to a virtual environment. i'll likely have to rebuild the initramfs which i expect already.

I guess i'll just have to document my findings when i get to it

this is a signature

Board footer