You are not logged in.

#76 2012-12-06 16:23:24

boast

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Standards for the desktop. Theres users on systemd, some on sysvinit, some on Ubuntu's one they made; some users on ALSA, some on pulse, some on jack, oss4, etc...

While I think there should be different options and the user should be able to select the best one for their needs, there should be a way for these to have some standard API, or some standard configurations, etc... Like the case with D-Bus

So although the backend may be different for each user, there is some compatibility at some level with every distro and setup.

Asus M4A785TD-V ;; Phenom II X4 @ 3.9GHz ;; Ripjaws 12GB DDR3-1600 ;; 128GB Samsung 830 ;; MSI GTX460 v2 w/ blob ;; Arch Linux + KDE 4.x

#77 2012-12-06 16:41:46

bohoomil
Website

I will clarify it and repeat it again as the misunderstanding keeps returning: I'm not discussing the fact that people have to work with either free or proprietary office suits. I am only stating that a word processor as we know it from office suits is not and will not be able to handle a document layout the way we wish (i.e. preserve it and be fully portable among different platforms) because the conception of document layout behind it is inherently wrong. That's why 1) if anyone is expecting a future incarnation of LO Writer document to be 100% compatible and interchangeable with MS Office Word's one, it's simply not going to happen. That's why, 2) I dared to quote cfr's opinion and commented on it further as I found it absolutely right. I had spent long years of my life coping with the exact same problem before StarOffice turned into OpenOffice and after the latter was eventually liberated, and my bottom has been full of pain struggling to overcome the consequences of this common misunderstanding. The only thing we can do, however, is to learn how to live with it because any real change (i.e. MS Office being ported to the Linux realm, or at least a full compatibility between MS / LO frameworks) is (technically and economically) a next-to-last thing to ever happen. smile

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#78 2012-12-06 23:09:33

cfr

@bohoomil,

I think I misunderstood your point.  I thought you were taking exception to what I'd said and saying something along the lines of "well, if you insist on using that..., you must expect problems". I completely accept that it is a mistake to expect that sort of conformity from word processors. I only wish that it were within my power to avoid them but unfortunately, LaTeX just doesn't get accepted in my world. I consider myself very fortunate if a journal in my area will take PDF - I don't even look to submit LaTeX code. Sadly, many will only even look at Word format. I happen to think this is reprehensible but it is not something I have any power to change!

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#79 2013-02-01 20:06:19

hawaiicharles

One big thing Linux is missing IMO: a simple and straightforward way to type extended ASCII characters, independent of which DE you're running, or whether you're running one at all.  Microsoft OS's have had this for years via ALT+code - it even works natively in MS-DOS 6.22.  Why can't Linux have something similar?

#80 2013-02-01 20:18:23

MrCode

^ Compose key.  Although, this only works if you're in X11…

#81 2013-02-01 21:23:25

hawaiicharles

MrCode wrote:

^ Compose key.  Although, this only works if you're in X11…

And if you don't have X installed at all, you're pretty much hosed as far as I can tell.  Am I the only person who sees that as a glaring deficiency?  Why should I have to load X and a desktop if I just want to make a simple edit in an HTML file or enter some data in MYSQL?

#82 2013-02-01 21:51:58

Trent

Presumably, if you want to edit an HTML file, you'll be using an editor of some sort. Vim supports the input of arbitrary Unicode characters.

#83 2013-02-01 22:03:24

Modeler

A powerful and stable MIDI sequencer like LMMS would be if anyone was able to finish it. MuSE could fill the gap if it were more intuitive and had a step sequencer.

Oh, and a decent Amiga emulator :-)

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#84 2013-02-02 04:46:58

anarcho
Website

Desktop publishing software, Scribus just doesn't cut it compared to InDesign.

#85 2013-02-02 11:54:07

Rasi
Website

Modeler wrote:

Oh, and a decent Amiga emulator :-)

fs-uae

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#86 2013-02-02 22:56:45

rscholer

An audioplayer like foobar2000.

#87 2013-02-02 23:02:30

nomorewindows

rscholer wrote:

There is a foobar2000 in the AUR, but when I tried it, it failed to compile or something.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#88 2013-02-02 23:19:02

Ashren
Website

Online shrinking of ext* filesystems.

I guess ssm might provide the feature, the documentation doesn't clearly state this however.

#89 2013-02-03 00:43:19

blackout23

A great Pinball game.

ZBi4a48.png

This picture reminded me how I played Space Cadet to death on Windows 95.

The AUR has 3 search results for "pinball" but rollemup has a horrible keylayout that can not be change.
It expects Z for left flipper and / for right which is (Shift + 7) on my Keyboard. The others don't look to exciting aswell.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-02-03 00:44:35)

#90 2013-02-03 13:13:12

IncredibleLaser

Last time I tried, Future Pinball worked very good with wine, still the best simulator IMHO with some very nice tables. Unfortunately, developement stopped and it is closed source.

#91 2013-02-03 14:17:03

rscholer

nomorewindows wrote:

There is a foobar2000 in the AUR, but when I tried it, it failed to compile or something.

Yeah. But it's only wrapped inside WINE. I mean a native foobar2000 clone.

#92 2013-02-03 14:50:00

anonymous_user

rscholer wrote:

DeadBeef? Audacious?

#93 2013-02-03 15:04:49

Gullible Jones

Sane frameworks for network, power, and mount management, that are usable both by graphical programs and from the CLI. (See Darwin's disk arbitration daemon, BSD's apm command and user mount support, etc.) Linux has great CLI apps, mediocre GUI apps, and terrible integration between them.

#94 2013-02-03 22:39:35

Janarto

- a good excel equivalent for office use
- drivers
- wayland

#95 2013-02-04 00:19:50

nomorewindows

IncredibleLaser wrote:

Last time I tried, Future Pinball worked very good with wine, still the best simulator IMHO with some very nice tables. Unfortunately, developement stopped and it is closed source.

TILT! TILT! User wants a decent pinball program that can be tinkered with later by looking at the source to make it more fun than an actual pinball machine. 

I don't know Linux could be missing some bugs?  OpenBSD has a release song with each release, and with 5.1, the http://www.openbsd.org/songs/song51.mp3 song starts out like Ghostbusters ("bugbusters") and at the end changes songs and starts chanting the words "I want a new bug...one that won't make me sick...one that won't crash my box...".  Wait, a bug that won't make you sick?  A bug that won't crash your box?  What kind of a bug is this any way?  That was a play on words *AND* music.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#96 2013-02-05 01:31:45

isacdaavid
Website

blackout23 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Leadership.

by Microsoft *ducks away*

Jokes aside I feel that linux is missing a good office suite. OO/LO is nice if you use it for your self and don't demand to much. But let's face it. 90% of all companies world wide probably use MS Office for their work and they require documents to look exactly the same when their partners open them as on their side. You can't just say "Sorry I'm using Open Office I can open your stuff but it looks horrible and the stuff I send you... god knows how it will look like..." Also if you use Excel like a professional you'll quickly see the shortcomings of Calc. If there was native MS Office for Linux I would buy it. Now people will say...but there are open standards! Microsoft should support them! Everyone should use them and it would be problem solved!...Yeah being able to eat all the Pizza you want and don't get fat would also be kind of nice... you know? Just not going to happen.

Why do you use GNU/Linux if you don't even like open standards just because they aren't mainstream? We do not need M$ Office at all (having 2 forks of the same office suite is enough, plus GNUmeric and Abiword). What we need is people to understand the benefits of open standards and to distribute their documents in platform-agnostic formats like PDF.

#97 2013-02-05 01:39:36

isacdaavid
Website

blackout23 wrote:

A great Pinball game.

http://i.imgur.com/ZBi4a48.png

This picture reminded me how I played Space Cadet to death on Windows 95.

The AUR has 3 search results for "pinball" but rollemup has a horrible keylayout that can not be change.
It expects Z for left flipper and / for right which is (Shift + 7) on my Keyboard. The others don't look to exciting aswell.

LOL

#98 2013-02-05 02:47:39

dag

money speaks volumes, but when money is involves people protect there assets. you try to corner the market and centralize to your market. linux is open this has good and bad aspects to it any one can pickup a project but it is not neccicarily going to be picked up also people need to make a living and free projects are ussually projects done in ones free time. ubuntu is widely populare because of the initial backing and thus advertising and implementing on products in stores. linux does not lack anything except marketing.

Last edited by dag (2013-02-05 02:51:21)

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

#99 2013-02-05 02:55:52

Meyithi
Website

boast wrote:

Standards for the desktop. Theres users on systemd, some on sysvinit, some on Ubuntu's one they made; some users on ALSA, some on pulse, some on jack, oss4, etc...

While I think there should be different options and the user should be able to select the best one for their needs, there should be a way for these to have some standard API, or some standard configurations, etc... Like the case with D-Bus

So although the backend may be different for each user, there is some compatibility at some level with every distro and setup.

How applications behave on the desktop is what annoys me, for example http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/10/2 … indow-mess - until seemingly simple standards such as "what to do with fullscreen apps" are implemented what hope do we have for a consistent desktop experience?

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#100 2013-02-06 14:57:21

scjet
Banned

... a mass-production of "OpenHardware" devices, to be implemented immediately around the world,
to replace ALL this "ClosedHardware" crap !
smile

yep, that's about all ..."linux is missing".

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-06 14:58:03)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

Board footer