You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-04 16:15:26

cabutan

Archlinux as a load balancing dual wan gateway?

Hi there. Any leads how I can accomplish this within arch? The router part is well documented under the wiki but cant find anything about the iproute2/load balancing. If any of you have successfully accomplished this under arch, please help!

Thanks

#2 2013-02-04 17:02:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Archlinux as a load balancing dual wan gateway?

You don't need Arch-specific documentation to set that up. Use the existing readily-available information about iproute, starting with the man pages already on your system. The iproute2 project site has a list of recommended reading.

#3 2013-02-04 17:10:08

chris_l

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#4 2013-02-04 17:55:42

cabutan

tomk wrote:

You don't need Arch-specific documentation to set that up. Use the existing readily-available information about iproute, starting with the man pages already on your system. The iproute2 project site has a list of recommended reading.

What kind of help is this? haaaa..I noticed you have a reputation of being a smart-a with your previous posts. Let me help you son, if you dont know or cant help, dont post as simple as that...

#5 2013-02-04 18:46:01

ewaller
Administrator

cabutan wrote:

What kind of help is this? haaaa..I noticed you have a reputation of being a smart-a with your previous posts. Let me help you son, if you dont know or cant help, dont post as simple as that...

There is nothing wrong with tomk's response.  He asserted that there is nothing Arch specific and guided you to generic information.  Seems like useful information to me.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ther_Users

Last edited by ewaller (2013-02-04 18:47:34)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-02-04 18:54:22

cabutan

ewaller wrote:
cabutan wrote:

There is nothing wrong with tomk's response.  He asserted that there is nothing Arch specific and guided you to generic information.  Seems like useful information to me.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ther_Users

I do research prior posting and that includes of course Man pages. I mean, come on give me a break. I do all my searching, trying before posting so. I dont think his post was useful at all, that is my 2cents.

#7 2013-02-04 18:55:43

ewaller
Administrator

cabutan wrote:

I do research prior posting and that includes of course Man pages. I mean, come on give me a break. I do all my searching, trying before posting so. I dont think his post was useful at all, that is my 2cents.

Fair enough.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2013-02-04 19:14:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm glad you've done your research, but I'm sure you will agree that there is no evidence of that in your original question.

Typically, the best way to get help here is to try something yourself first, and then come here if/when things don't work as expected. Again, you do not mention any attempted configuration in your original question.

I have a feeling you will probably call me a smart-a again because of this response, but I assure you that both my posts here are intended to give you leads, as originally requested.

#9 2013-02-04 19:51:15

Leonid.I

Please, not the pedagogical discussion again.

@cabutan:
In your question you haven;t specified what is "this". What's your setup? Two WAN NICs going to a switch and a LAN NIC(s) possibly with wifi? You'll need netcfg's bonding support and possibly netcfg-bonding pkg from AUR.

For a general approach see http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-bon … rface.html and http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation … onding.txt for example.

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

Board footer