You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-04 15:08:03

antoniotcosta

strange NFS behavior

Hi,

I just installed Arch on a cluster of about 60 machines; they all mount /home from a single NFS server (dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz, 12 cores total). The kernel is 3.7.3-1-ARCH on the server and the clients. I am using default NFS configuration for server and clients as well. I use the cluster to run MPI jobs.

I log into the client machines via ssh using public key authentication. In many of the machines sshd starts requesting my password a while after the client is up, although it accepted the public key authentication just after booting. If I provide my password I can login and access my whole home directory *except* for the .ssh directory.

ls ~/.ssh

results in

ls: cannot open directory /home/antc/.ssh: Stale NFS file handle

Here is the fstab entry corresponding to my home directory:

nanohome_2:/home    /home            nfs4        rw

and my exports:

/srv/nfs4/ nano*(rw,fsid=0,no_subtree_check)
/srv/nfs4/home nano*(rw,no_subtree_check,nohide)

Another bit of strangeness: I have a desktop running Linux Mint 13 (kernel 3.2.0-23) which also mounts the same directory from the same server and I've never had any similar trouble.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I searched through the Arch forums and other sites and couldn't find anything like this. Any help/suggestion/comment would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Antonio

Last edited by antoniotcosta (2013-02-04 15:08:40)

#2 2013-02-04 17:02:05

nomorewindows

Re: strange NFS behavior

fsid=0 parameter might be goofing you up.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2013-02-04 17:14:49

antoniotcosta

nomorewindows wrote:

Thanks, I'll try removing it. However, I read in export's man page that fsid=0 meant the root of the exported filesystem. Could you please clarify why this is the origin of my troubles?

#4 2013-02-04 21:36:57

nomorewindows

antoniotcosta wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:

Thanks, I'll try removing it. However, I read in export's man page that fsid=0 meant the root of the exported filesystem. Could you please clarify why this is the origin of my troubles?

In this case it may not be since it is under the same root. 
Stale NFS shares are usually the result of an interruption or a changed configuration in exports or something like this. 
I don't know what your setup is like, but exporting /srv/tftp and /srv/tftp/home may or may not be redundant. 
I had an interesting scenario where I had an fsid=0 filesystem, and exports that were relative to my regular filesystem.  Since it was a PXE setup it was calling the similar directories under /srv/tftp instead of where I was intending them under root filesystem.
If you had intended /home instead of /srv/tftp/home, but you had a home directory under /srv/tftp, it would default to /srv/tftp/home.  If you don't have a home under /srv/tftp, then it will mount regular /home.  It might just be that your nfs-utils in newer on Arch than your other.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer