You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-06 08:52:18

Xi0N
Website

About virtual machines

I use virtualbox+phpvirtualbox (really nice software combo) to launch virtual machines with different functions.

My question is: If you want to implement these things:

VPN server
Owncloud server
Nagios+Cacti server
(other appliances)

Would you create a different VM for each function or put them all together in the same?

The logical approach would be to group them by functionality but there are not that many more uses that come to mind right now....

The pros of separating in different VM's would be that if one of the machines have a problem or must be restarted, it only would affect to that service
The cons would be what I am currently facing: When the change from initscripts to systemd was made I had to leave the machines as they are.... upgrading 3 or 4 different VM's and facing the different problems that might appear is something that frightens me so much, I am currently using initscripts on them still...

What's your opinion?

Thanks!!!

#2 2013-02-06 09:08:04

Ashren
Website

Re: About virtual machines

If you want to keep your systems separate then ...

Clone one of your systems and set up all the appliances you use on the separate VMs on this cloned VM. Upgrade this cloned VM and note down difficulties and solve them. Afterwards update your separate systems and solve any problems you encounter using the experience gathered from your cloned test VM.

Or ...

Just clone your systems before upgrading.

Personally if the services are not critical and for personal use only I would group them all on one VM.

Last edited by Ashren (2013-02-06 09:14:34)

#3 2013-02-06 09:14:21

Xi0N
Website

So separating the appliances would be a good idea?
VM1: VPN
VM2: Cacti + Nagios
VM3: Owncloud / FTP server etc....

Would be a good setup?

Better than:

OnlyVM: VPN, FTP, Nagios+Cacti, Owncloud, apache, sql server... etc etc....

#4 2013-02-06 09:23:01

Ashren
Website

I've edited my original post.

It all depends on the criticality of your services. Are you the only user?

If many users depend on the availability of the appliances then separate VMs would be preferable.

#5 2013-02-06 09:35:11

Xi0N
Website

Mainly it's me the one using the VPN server
Nagios+Cacti, I manage and control it, but it should be running 24/7 for maximum performance....
Ownclour could be used sometimes by someone else...

The thing is that neither of these services should be restarted or switched off very oftelny.... that's why i think perhaps centralizing all of the in the same machine could be a correct approach.....

#6 2013-02-06 10:34:12

Ashren
Website

It is a matter of coordination, specify a maintenance window and patch all the VMs within that given time range.

If you centralize all your services on one VM then you have a single point of failure, on a lower level you probably already have a single point of failure by running the VMs on the same HW. tongue

IMO best practice in your situation would be to keep the services on separate VMs, to prevent a loss of all services at the same time.

No matter what approach you choose and if you find the services critical enough, you should look into automatic live snapshotting via VBoxManage where snapshots are stored remotely.

#7 2013-02-06 10:36:41

Xi0N
Website

Ashren wrote:

No matter what approach you choose and if you find the services critical enough, you should look into automatic live snapshotting via VBoxManage where snapshots are stored remotely.

Hhmmm... good idea.. I didn't know I could do that... I will have a look into that!!!!

Another con: You already configured 5 out of 6 services on the VM and configuring the 6th one you mess something up and have to start again.......... that would be horrible.....

#8 2013-02-07 13:57:07

Ashren
Website

Xi0N wrote:
Ashren wrote:

Hhmmm... good idea.. I didn't know I could do that... I will have a look into that!!!!

Another con: You already configured 5 out of 6 services on the VM and configuring the 6th one you mess something up and have to start again.......... that would be horrible.....

One word ...

Backups Backups Backups

Board footer