You are not logged in.

#26 2013-02-07 03:50:30

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Office for Linux!

ANOKNUSA wrote:

The only  Rumours that ever made me take notice is the Fleetwood Mac album, and that album sucks.

But it does kindle fond memories of a girlfriend from long, long, long ago.  smile
Edit:  I hope she is doing well...

Last edited by ewaller (2013-02-07 04:07:02)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#27 2013-02-07 07:22:42

CrashLog

jasonwryan wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:
ewaller wrote:

Can we please ratchet down the Microsoft bashing?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems

My mother always said, if you cannot say something nice, don't say anything at all....

Your MOM uses Microsoft.

Sometimes I really wish we had a /kick option... tongue

http://www.nationalburnservice.co.nz/

I seriously doubt this rumour. It'd just be bad for business on Microsoft's part.

"There are no problems, only opportunities for solutions."

#28 2013-02-07 08:38:59

digirium

In the story s/Linux/Android/ and the story begins to make a little more sense. I cannot see Microsoft gaining anything from it though (Android users going to app store looking up Microsoft Office then falling off their chairs when they see the price, hardware requirements etc). It is probably serving up some encouragement to the LibreOffice team to get their Android port completed and out the door.

#29 2013-02-07 11:22:38

Grinch

ANOKNUSA wrote:

The only  Rumours that ever made me take notice is the Fleetwood Mac album, and that album sucks.  I'll believe this when MS anounces it.

You must be living in a parallell universe, both 'Go your own way' and 'Dreams' are worth the price of admission. smile

As for Office on Linux:

trapy.jpg

big_smile

#30 2013-02-07 14:51:47

Lone_Wolf

Almost everytime i am forced to use MS Word (97,2000,2003, 2007, 2010 versions) , i have to fight it to do what I WANT instead of what MS wants it to do.
Typically what takes me 5 minutes in OO/LO takes me 15 minutes in MS Word.
(OO portable and recently LO portable was often my saviour).

Excel on the other hand is one of the best spreadsheets around.
IF MS would make Excel for linux AND allow me to buy just Excel , i would consider buying that.

Since i doubt very much MS has ever given the option to just buy Excel, i will try to keep a big distance between me and MS Office on linux .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#31 2013-02-07 16:42:16

kanikuleet

most people i know would instantly switch if office was available for linux

office still is the no. 1 reason for people to use windows

am looking forward to it, if it's real...

#32 2013-02-07 17:15:26

HungGarTiger

kanikuleet wrote:

most people i know would instantly switch if office was available for linux

office still is the no. 1 reason for people to use windows

am looking forward to it, if it's real...

Nothing to do with graphics or gaming compatability? You must know a different crowd, I never met anything OO or Libre couldn't do, but I dont overly use these suites. I only met one guy who didn't switch because of accounting software, as he ran his own business it was important to him. Never heard anyone mentiom MS Office though.

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#33 2013-02-07 22:21:32

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

ngoonee wrote:

A key benefit of Microsoft Office on Linux would be interoperatability in an office (hehe) environment. libreoffice for editing and sending back colleague's powerpoint/word/excel documents can be a pain, and pdfs aren't suitable for everything. Office is Microsoft's strongest product, really.

Debian's Bdale Garbee made the point in his keynote at linux.conf.au this year that the "desktop" really doesn't matter, it's the apps that users care about. As long as the app runs, and runs well, that's more important than if there's Gnome, KDE, xfce, Windows  or OS X behind the app. So I have to agree, MS would benefit most from making it's prime productivity app available for any platform (like they have for OS X).

Having said that, I won't be holding my breath for it to happen.

#34 2013-02-08 01:50:23

anonymous_user

Lone_Wolf wrote:

IF MS would make Excel for linux AND allow me to buy just Excel , i would consider buying that.

Since i doubt very much MS has ever given the option to just buy Excel, i will try to keep a big distance between me and MS Office on linux .

Afaik, Microsoft does let you buy the individual apps:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/buy/r … 53762.aspx

As for the news, I am somewhat torn about it. While it would be awesome to have Office available as a native Linux app, I don't think I would use it outside of school. And if I do need it for school, I can just go to the library/computer lab. I do like* the ribbon interface though.

*Sincerely not sarcasm. Having used Office 2007/2010 for my classes, I have adjusted to it quite well.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2013-02-08 01:50:57)

#35 2013-02-09 13:40:30

Lone_Wolf

Seems technically MS does allow you to buy excel separately.

However, the price they ask is only 4 euro below that of a home and student version which also has excel, but adds word, powerpoint and one note.
Unless excel in the home and student version of excel lacks functionality, that price is way to steep for private use.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#36 2013-02-09 15:19:02

anonymous_user

I figure the programs are priced as such based on the prices for the "normal" suites. Its not like there's a separate Excel student edition too. Also I believe you have to eligible for the home and student suite to buy it.

#37 2013-02-09 15:34:52

nomorewindows

anonymous_user wrote:

I figure the programs are priced as such based on the prices for the "normal" suites. Its not like there's a separate Excel student edition too. Also I believe you have to eligible for the home and student suite to buy it.

Actually if you buy new machinery with Microsoft Office already pre-installed, you pay $300 for the CD and the code key.  The code key unlocks the 60-day trial.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#38 2013-02-13 05:49:56

scjet
Banned

AndrzejL wrote:

... Recently there was a lot of bad press - lot's of whining about the UEFI / Secure boot and about "Microsoft wanting to destroy Linux once and for all...".

Andrzej

Personally, that pretty well sums up, eternally, everything about Microsoft, for me as well.

I really can't see, even with all that love -(yes, major sarcasm here), that the Europeans have for Microsoft, why this would be of any interest to anyone, most especially the European Union. ?

But then again, now that Microsoft has all but left the PC Server/Desktop/Laptop world in favour of their new ARMed-"Touch-screen Tablets", (and other weird-acting phones), they will likely donate it to Linux, but then they'll announce their own "new" and improved Office version,
called: Skype-Office. <- and of course, they'll charge you for that, with a discount on their Tablet.  BUT, Win8/RT will be free.
- get it ?

yep,..., "hook, line, and stinker...", over, and over again.
smile

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-13 06:14:06)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#39 2013-02-13 22:10:08

illusionist

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#40 2013-02-13 23:13:53

blackout23

Just as much a rumor as phoronix's rumor.

It's just the authors thoughts and he has nothing to back it up.

That guy is clearly link baiting.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-02-13 23:16:39)

#41 2013-02-14 09:12:19

illusionist

blackout23 wrote:

I think this whole office thing (rumor) is pointless and baseless. We can not just assume anything unless it is said by upstream. The author may be link baiting but on practical basis I agree with his thoughts. Basically the author just elaborated a little what some of the people (including me) tried to say on this thread.

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#42 2013-02-14 10:24:59

jakobcreutzfeldt

Phoronix = the tabloids of the free/open source software world.

#43 2013-02-15 18:45:56

scjet
Banned

illusionist wrote:
blackout23 wrote:

I think this whole office thing (rumor) is pointless and baseless. We can not just assume anything unless it is said by upstream. The author may be link baiting but on practical basis I agree with his thoughts. Basically the author just elaborated a little what some of the people (including me) tried to say on this thread.

...even if it is ever was "said by upstream"..., the point is, just DO NOT TOUCH IT ! 'cause it ain't worth it, in the looong run... yep.
smile

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-15 18:50:22)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#44 2013-02-18 01:34:33

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

In my mind MS Office is in the same category as Internet Explorer... I don't get why so many people still use it. Granted, not everyone wants to learn TeX. But even for a Windows user, Libre Office does the job just as well and saves hundreds of dollars. It's well known enough that if some Office user gets email_attachment.doc and says "oh shit, Word won't open this properly" it's a safe bet to just try Libre Office.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#45 2013-02-18 02:22:07

mike_r

I would pick up MS Office for Linux in a heartbeat, no matter how much I may detest Microsoft (and Apple while I'm at it). Unfortunately for many of us, our place of employ requires documents to be written in Word/Excel/Powerpoint. As much as I wish it were so, LibreOffice is not compatible enough for a document to survive several rounds of editing with my colleagues. Though I am permitted to use Linux and LaTeX for most of my work, some things must be in Office. I solve the issue now by a virtual Windows machine with Office, but a native version would be welcome.

Too bad this is yet more Phoronix blather ...

Linux User #353 - SLS -> Slackware -> Red Hat -> Mandrake -> Fedora -> Arch

#46 2013-02-18 08:21:43

hussam
Website

I don't believe it.
But if it were true, yes I would buy it.
Microsoft office is a much better product than Microsoft windows itself.

#47 2013-02-19 15:59:06

andrekp

While I am skeptical that this rumor is true, if it is, I don't think it's what people seem to be assuming (you'll buy a copy on disk and load it like any other software).

MS is moving toward a web-based subscription model of Office.  Even the home version will be entirely a web download install.  What MS WANTS you to do is pay some amount every year for the right to use the web based Office suite.

That in mind, it's probably not all that complex to create a "linux version" of MS office, which will simply be nothing more than a minimal install on your local machine that will be little more than a compatibility layer to MS Office, which will be on some server somewhere.  It may only even be necessary to do the initial install/configuration.  Ultimately, it will be some local web client (Firefox, etc.)  that will be the local interface.

So I doubt that MS is somehow embracing linux or open software, they are simply making sure that Linux users have the "opportunity" to pay $150/year to MS for the use of Office On-line as well.

This is potentially a huge opportunity for LibreOffice.  What (I think) should happen is that every one that currently programs the various Office-like programs needs to all move onto LibreOffice and combine their abilities to REALLY close the compatibility gap.  They also need to create an Outlook replacement so that businesses can have that functionality (like it or not, Outlook is a goto program in many companies).  Couple this with advertising the crap out of LibreOffice so that people know about it. (I am always surprised that Windows users know all about Open Office, but have never heard of Libre...) 

Make it so that the REAL choice in 2014 is:
1). pay MS $150/year
2). pay nothing for the same functionality AND dependably full compatibility with the suckers paying $150/year.

You make that a visible and viable choice - a REALLY viable choice - and Office will go the way of the dinosaur.  But it needs to be a choice that is not just geek intellectualizing ("did you know that LO has more compatibility with older Office formats than even Office does?") it needs to be like the choice to use a smart phone instead of an old clamshell.  Something that every business and most people don't even view as a choice.

And being free from MS office will be the killer app that will move a lot of new people to try linux.

However, standing in the way of this is the fact that the Linux world is so overpopulated with people who (rightly or wrongly, and for good or bad reasons) don't want the masses using "their" preferred O/S.  And the linux world overvalues having 20 separate pet-programs that act very similarly and do most functions, rather than one that did every function, so getting people to concentrate efforts would probably be futile and fork in 20 seconds.

Just my opinion.

#48 2013-02-19 22:15:43

doorknob60

Quote from the article:

At a rough guess, I'd say the iPad has about a thousand times as many users as the Linux desktop.

*facepalm* I stopped reading there. If Linux is estimated to have 1% of the desktop marketshare, that would mean iPads have 10x more users than all desktop computers. That is the worst estimate I've ever heard in my life. This article is complete BS and speculation. I'd much rather put my trust in Phoronix than this, if that's all it came down to.

#49 2013-02-20 00:16:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

doorknob60 wrote:

At a rough guess, I'd say the iPad has about a thousand times as many users as the Linux desktop.

*facepalm* I stopped reading there. If Linux is estimated to have 1% of the desktop marketshare, that would mean iPads have 10x more users than all desktop computers. That is the worst estimate I've ever heard in my life. This article is complete BS and speculation. I'd much rather put my trust in Phoronix than this, if that's all it came down to.

You do realize 'rough guess' is as well what you're trying to do? And that in terms of new sales in recent years smartphones and tablets have been surpassing laptop/desktop sales (at least in the US, certainly not in 3rd-world markets). And that 1% of the desktop marketshare is also a rough guess?

BS and speculation it may be, but countering it with BS and speculation isn't really productive smile. The statement you quoted is simply hyperbole...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#50 2013-02-20 20:45:35

doorknob60

ngoonee wrote:
doorknob60 wrote:

You do realize 'rough guess' is as well what you're trying to do? And that in terms of new sales in recent years smartphones and tablets have been surpassing laptop/desktop sales (at least in the US, certainly not in 3rd-world markets). And that 1% of the desktop marketshare is also a rough guess?

BS and speculation it may be, but countering it with BS and speculation isn't really productive smile. The statement you quoted is simply hyperbole...

Point taken, but the 1% of desktop marketshare is generally considered a pretty good estimate (it's hard to be exact with this), I didn't just make up that number out of nothing. I know smartphones and tablets are extremely popular now (moreso than Linux), and the iPad is the most popular tablet, but if you can't come up with a reasonable sounding estimate, it makes me lose trust in what you have to say. As popular as the iPad is, there's no way it's anywhere near 1000x the marketshare of Linux. If I had to pull a reasonable sounding number out of my head, I'd say maybe 20x? Yeah, I made that number up, but it's a number that makes sense and is physically possible.

Either way, all these articles are is rumors and speculation, and should be taken with a grain of salt. If enough people make things up, eventually someone will be right. Although for the record, I do trust Phoronix more than I would most other rumors, and more than some of the community does. I mean, they were right with Steam (it took a while, but remember: Valve time), and I have a hard time believing that Michael Larabel would just make stuff up without some kind of evidence or belief that it could happen. That's my 2 cents, I'll leave now tongue

Board footer