You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-12 11:37:00

StR@ng3r

Install Arch from scratch on OVH server - stuck at pacstrap /mnt

Hello,

I am trying to set up arch from scratch on an OVH server. When I run pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel it returns "mount: mount point /mnt/dev/pts does not exist" "ERROR: failed to setup API filesystems in new root. Running mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts does not help. Anybody have a clue how to fix this?

Here is what I have done so far:

- Booted Server in Rescue Mode (Debian)
- set up partitions and filesystems
- used the bootstrap script to create an eviroment to run the arch-install-scripts (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archbootstrap)
# mount -t proc none /myarch/proc
# mount -t sysfs none /myarch/sys
# mount -o bind /dev /myarch/dev
# mount -o bind /dev/pts /myarch/dev/pts

Then I chrooted into myarch and mounted my partitions for arch to /mnt /mnt/home and /mnt/boot .
Now, when i run pacstrap to finally install arch to the partitions, I am stuck with the error stated above. Hopefully someone has an idea how to fix this. Thanks.

Last edited by StR@ng3r (2013-02-12 11:38:00)

#2 2013-02-12 15:48:59

olive

Re: Install Arch from scratch on OVH server - stuck at pacstrap /mnt

I am unsure what you are really doing. You chroot in a simple arch via the archbootstrap? in your chroot you have /dev, /dev/pts, mounted?  Then you have mounted the final destination in /mnt within the chroot? (thus in /myarch/mnt) and try to install arch there? Maybe you have to mount /dev/, /proc, /dev/pts) in /myarch/mnt/ too ? Anyway I am not sure that archbootstrap is really destinated to do that. I think that the archbootstrap should give you a preinstalled minimal arch that you can further expand. Moreover I do not know this script and maybe it is buggy (I don't think it is officially supported).

As an alternative, try to install arch without this script. Try to install pacman on Debian; this should not be that difficult (put the binary somewhere into the $PATH and the needed libraries somewhere into $LD_LIBRARY_PATH); then mount the partition where you want to install arch (say in /mnt/arch) and install the base group into /arch/mnt (pacman -r /mnt/arch base). Adjust /etc/fstab, install a bootloader, etc... and you should have a minimal arch. Reboot or chroot into it and enjoy (probably install other packages).

#3 2013-02-12 18:42:10

StR@ng3r

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I roughly followed this guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … her_distro) but used a customized bootstrap script instead of the outdated on in the wiki articel. Guess I am gonna try to run pacman on debian then. Thanks.

#4 2013-02-12 20:36:42

olive

StR@ng3r wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I roughly followed this guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … her_distro) but used a customized bootstrap script instead of the outdated on in the wiki articel. Guess I am gonna try to run pacman on debian then. Thanks.

All these wikis are somewhat overkill for someone who is used to Linux. The only thing you need to do to install arch is to install the base group. After that the rest is usual configuration.

Last edited by olive (2013-02-12 21:23:30)

#5 2013-02-12 23:39:00

StR@ng3r

I give up for now.

I have spent two whole days trying to set up an OVH Server with arch using the default kernel (not the ovh custom one) and systemd.

My attempts to install arch from scratch using the debian based recovery system and the arch bootstrp failed as I was never able to acccess the server over SSH afterwards. Not sure if it didn't boot up or didn't asign a static IP address as it should have. I just wasn't able to access it using SSH once I rebooted it.

Then I went on to try and use the arch distribution provided by OVH. However, that on comes with a custom kernel by OVH and still uses init.d... Updating the kernel with pacman -S linux, removing the OVH kernel and updating grub.cfg using grub-mkconfig - o /boot/grub/grub.cfg resulted in the server not booting any more.

@jasonwryan: Sorry. Message received.

Last edited by StR@ng3r (2013-02-12 23:55:28)

#6 2014-03-27 20:26:57

deemytch

Hi, stranger, did you resolved your issue?
I`m inside exactly the same truble now.

#7 2014-03-28 20:06:51

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

deemytch, the thread is more than a year old. Please do not necrobump threads.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.22

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer