You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-13 23:26:52

Rimas

[SOLVED] SSH server-to-client port forwarding

Hi!

I have a following task but can't find any answers so far:
At work I have windows machine which can connect to web server (available only within local network) and I want to establish access to my workstation from home (running linux).
Is it possible to connect to my home computer via SSH establishing secure tunnel with dynamic server-to-client port forwarding in order to use SOCKS proxy from home?

Last edited by Rimas (2013-02-19 07:22:20)

#2 2013-02-14 14:02:07

neilzium

Re: [SOLVED] SSH server-to-client port forwarding

Which web server are you referring to? is it one that you are running from home? many businesses run their employees' workstations through a proxy server which only has a few ports open to the internet (80, 8080, 443 etc). Have you tried to ssh at all? if you make your ssh server available on port 443, it may work since traffic through there is generally encrypted anyway. Do make sure you lock it down properly though when trying this.

#3 2013-02-14 14:19:07

hiciu

Socks proxy: no, unless you can run ssh server or socks / http proxy on your windows machine.

You can connect from your windows pc to your home pc using putty or plink with reverse tunnel (-R linux-machine-port:web-server-address:web-server-port) and then you should be able to connect to web-server using localhost:linux-machine-port.

If you need dynamic proxy on windows side you can use other software (for example, polipo for windows could be used as proxy on windows side: http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~j … re/polipo/. You should then start polipo, use ssh to create reverse tunnel from your windows pc to linux machine granting it access to polipo).

(sorry for my bad english; I feel like there is something wrong in this post but I can't point my finger on it. Advices are appreciated.)

#4 2013-02-14 19:21:25

Rimas

Thank you for your answers.
Perhaps my question wasn't formulated clear enough (also have problems to express myself in English smile but hiciu have got it correct.
I have webserver at work and SSH server at home. It's not much sense to run ssh server on windows (work) since I can't reach that workstation from outside anyhow. So, connection have to be initiated from windows machine.
I like the idea about dynamic proxy on windows side. Will try it.
I have also tried before to establish reverse tunnel pointing directly to webserver's port 80 with putty, but probably I've messed up something with connection settings. Will try the same trick using plink.

Last edited by Rimas (2013-02-14 19:23:17)

#5 2013-02-14 20:56:30

ghen

use ssh with -R option (or RemoteForward in ssh_config)

Board footer