You are not logged in.

#1626 2013-02-22 16:24:26

Kopkins

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Which is more preferable, to install from source or from repo?

#1627 2013-02-22 16:48:50

chenxiaolong

shiznix wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
shiznix wrote:

Yes this has created a fair bit of controversy in the Ubuntu camp as well.

I'm currently using timekiller's systray reversion patch https://launchpadlibrarian.net/13117590 … elist.diff from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/974480

This is working great, systray is present and was going to enable it by default but it appears there is a bug where the icons are shown to be huge.
See here for example -> http://cs419228.userapi.com/v419228880/ … FVgpGA.jpg

Have you guys come across this, or know what package would be responsible for it (unity itself maybe) ?

Unfortunately I can't even file a bug for it on Ubuntu now, seeing as they're removing it entirely.

The patch is included in the unity package as 0003_Revert_r3134_Remove_Systray_Whitelist.patch

The huge icon issue shouldn't happen though. All Ubuntu removed is the ability to configure the systray using dconf. The actual systray functionality was not removed.

Java and Wine applications are whitelisted in the source code though, so if you can reproduce the huge icon bug using a Java or Windows application, you can still file a bug report big_smile

OK finally got it sorted, was failing to apply libunity-misc's tarball patchset that fixes https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/856125
Thanks for the response smile

Glad you got it working smile Is there something wrong with the Unity-for-Arch package?

#1628 2013-02-23 07:18:40

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:

Anyone know how to get Plugin to display unread message count for Pidgin on Unity Launcher as per http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/how- … y-launcher example.
I have unity-extra/pidgin-libnotify-ubuntu installed.

I'm not sure. The owner of that particular PPA took it down, so I can't see what changes he/she made to the source code.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-02-23 07:18:48)

#1629 2013-02-23 07:20:49

chenxiaolong

Kopkins wrote:

Which is more preferable, to install from source or from repo?

It depends on how many customized packages you have. If you have any packages from the AUR that replace system packages (like gnome-shell-git or whatever), I'd suggest compiling from source. If not, then just install from the repos. The end result will be the same smile

#1630 2013-02-24 04:02:24

Archer1X
Website

Hi. I've installed Unity from unity.humbug.in repo, and I have tried to open CCSM but failed (nothing happened)..can somebody explain to me how to open it correctly?

Also, there is no 'Appearance' option in System Settings..everything are so lacking here and there. I'm afraid the repo was out of date or not compiled from the latest source.

If I try to run CCSM from Terminal, it spit out this output:

compizconfig - Info: Backend     : ini
compizconfig - Info: Integration : true
compizconfig - Info: Profile     : default

And yeah, nothing happened.

Last edited by Archer1X (2013-02-24 04:18:34)

Arch Linux all the way..

#1631 2013-02-24 05:48:55

chenxiaolong

Archer1X wrote:

Hi. I've installed Unity from unity.humbug.in repo, and I have tried to open CCSM but failed (nothing happened)..can somebody explain to me how to open it correctly?

Also, there is no 'Appearance' option in System Settings..everything are so lacking here and there. I'm afraid the repo was out of date or not compiled from the latest source.

Could you run:

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

It should output "Unity". If it doesn't, both gnome-control-center and ccsm will fail to detect that Unity is running, which is what's causing all the problems.

#1632 2013-02-24 09:14:09

Archer1X
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:
Archer1X wrote:

Could you run:

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

It should output "Unity". If it doesn't, both gnome-control-center and ccsm will fail to detect that Unity is running, which is what's causing all the problems.

Hi. I've tried reinstalling MATE Desktop and try running CCSM but it also failed and won't open. Running the command you gave giving '0' output, means nothing shown up, and that's when I ran it in MATE Desktop. Weird, because I have it running before this, no problem at all.

Arch Linux all the way..

#1633 2013-02-24 14:05:58

Archer1X
Website

Problem solved..I don't remember what I really have reinstalled, but as far as I've remember, they are compizconfig-backend-gconf, libcompizconfig, compizconfig-python..and now I can launch CCSM + Compiz Fusion Icon without a problem.
I will try to reinstall Unity in my Archer1X later when I have enough time to make my brain bleeding again..kudos!

P/S: Somebody need to update the ArchWiki because I have tried to install Unity from source using the script provided HERE but failed because of some 'PKGBUILD not found' error.

EDIT: Ahhh..really sorry Mods..forgot to edit my post earlier..

Last edited by Archer1X (2013-02-24 14:12:26)

Arch Linux all the way..

#1634 2013-02-24 18:53:52

qiuwei

Archer1X wrote:

Problem solved..I don't remember what I really have reinstalled, but as far as I've remember, they are compizconfig-backend-gconf, libcompizconfig, compizconfig-python..and now I can launch CCSM + Compiz Fusion Icon without a problem.
I will try to reinstall Unity in my Archer1X later when I have enough time to make my brain bleeding again..kudos!

P/S: Somebody need to update the ArchWiki because I have tried to install Unity from source using the script provided HERE but failed because of some 'PKGBUILD not found' error.

EDIT: Ahhh..really sorry Mods..forgot to edit my post earlier..

I think now the automatic install script is now included in chenxiaolong's repo.

#1635 2013-02-24 19:46:11

oi_wtf

A very basic one wink
well, I've got my own one and I'd suggest anyone to create his own one,
taking the best things from available scripts creating something that's exactly what you need.

And you'll learn something, exactly like it's meant to be with arch big_smile

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1636 2013-02-26 21:29:28

chenxiaolong

I'm currently working on adding tests to the Unity-for-Arch packages. The tests should (hopefully) let me find out if something is going to break earlier. The tests will require the new TESTPKG-* packages in the git repo. To skip the tests, pass "--nocheck" to makepkg. Please add that to your install scripts if you don't want tests to be built smile Tests will always be enabled on my build server (http://cxl.epac.to:8081).

#1637 2013-02-27 21:38:49

divansantana

@chenxiaolong Any chance of packaging "unity-scope-calculator" from ppa:scopes-packagers/ppa smile wink
I find it really useful.

#1638 2013-03-01 13:41:39

xgdgsc

@chenxiaolong
Have you ever thought of applying as a TU and bring unity to [community]?
I hope you can maintain a stable version of unity(as the latest Ubuntu stable release (now 12.10)) in [community]. And maintain a dev unity version which follows latest released stable unity in future Ubuntu(now it's 13.04) as you do now.

#1639 2013-03-01 14:14:16

oi_wtf

@chen, qt4-ubuntu in branch qt4 should conflict and provide the 'qt4' package from the official repo

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1640 2013-03-01 16:44:05

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

@chen, qt4-ubuntu in branch qt4 should conflict and provide the 'qt4' package from the official repo

Thanks! Fixed and merged into master.

#1641 2013-03-01 16:44:39

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:

@chenxiaolong Any chance of packaging "unity-scope-calculator" from ppa:scopes-packagers/ppa smile wink
I find it really useful.

I'll package it and upload it to the AUR after I get home from school smile

#1642 2013-03-01 16:53:56

chenxiaolong

xgdgsc wrote:

@chenxiaolong
Have you ever thought of applying as a TU and bring unity to [community]?
I hope you can maintain a stable version of unity(as the latest Ubuntu stable release (now 12.10)) in [community]. And maintain a dev unity version which follows latest released stable unity in future Ubuntu(now it's 13.04) as you do now.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to be a TU and I don't think my Unity packages could ever become a part of [community] due to their dependence on patched packages.

As for the stable releases, if someone wants to maintain the latest stable release as a branch of Unity-for-Arch on GitHub, I'd be happy to give commit access. I didn't stay at the 12.10 releases because Unity runs with llvmpipe software rendering on my computer, which is incredibly slow. (and also because I love new features tongue)

But like I say, if someone wants to do it, I'll give him/her commit access to Unity-for-Arch. It's not that easy of a job though, packages will need to have certain patches backported for the older packages to work.

#1643 2013-03-02 09:40:48

qiuwei

chenxiaolong wrote:
New testing repo!

Before I go any further, I recommend http://unity.xe-xe.org/ for normal use because pekmop1024 tests the packages he builds smile

Short description

I've built a new testing repo for i686 and x86_64. It's created by the Jenkins CI software (more on that later), which monitors my Unity-for-Arch git repo and automatically builds the packages every time I make a change. Only the changed packages are built, so you won't see all 52 packages in the updates every day smile If you look at the web interface linked below, most of the time, it takes less than 20 minutes from me typing "git push" to the package showing up in "pacman -Syu"

Just put this in /etc/pacman.conf

[Unity-for-Arch]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch/$arch

Unity-for-Arch-Extra is coming soon!

Web Interface

The Jenkins web interface is available here: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/. From there, you can see:

* The build log in real time: http://i.imgur.com/GAUoDw7.png
* How long a package takes to build: http://i.imgur.com/zt8TzAU.png
* Whether a commit fails to build or not

And probably the most useful: the packages for the last 10 builds are kept: http://i.imgur.com/4c3C10m.png If something ever breaks, you can download an older version and if it works, click the "Changes" link (which shows the git commit corresponding to the build), and file a bug report smile

I will try my best to keep the web interface up 24/7, but combine my crappy internet (http://www.speedtest.net/result/2515420420.png) with my crappy router (http://i.imgur.com/Bxb9Mt4.png) and it may not be possible.

Btw, if your ISP is ipv6 enabled, the web interface is available at http://[2001:470:8:c14:216:3eff:fe54:ee1e]:8090/

Long description

Hardware
Everything in done inside of a Arch Linux Xen VM on a Fedora 18 host. Why Fedora 18? Because Xen + libvirt is such a pain to install and keep working in Arch. The specs of the computer is:

Computer: Custom built one that a neighbor didn't want
Motherboard: Foxconn MCP61M05/M61PMV
CPU: AMD Athlon Dual Core 5050e
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: NVIDIA (integrated) GeForce 6150SE
HDD: Seagate ST3160815AS 7200RPM 160GB

VM Specs:

Type: Xen Paravirtualized Guest
CPU: 2 logical CPUs
RAM: 1024 MB
Disk: 30 GB on LVM

The VM
The VM has nothing installed except for sudo, devtools, dropbox, and jenkins. Nothing is built directly on the VM. The build process is done in a chroot.

How Jenkins is set up
There's a master job called UFA-1.0-Get-Git-Sources. It continuously monitors the Unity-for-Arch git repo and runs a script (http://paste.ubuntu.com/1673107/) whenever a new git commit is made. The script will store the current commit in "new-commit" and check if the "old-commit" file is available. If not, it will do a complete rebuild of all the packages. If the file exists, it will run git and find out which packages changed between the two commits.

The script is designed to be efficient. A package will never be built twice for one commit. An example is if I update compiz-ubuntu and unity at the same time. Normally, UFA-1.0-Get-Git-Sources would put compiz-ubuntu and unity on the build queue. But since unity depends on compiz-ubuntu, compiz-ubuntu will also put unity on the queue when it's finished building. So this ends up happening:

UFA-1.0-Get-Git-Sources
-> UFA-2.0-Build-compiz-ubuntu
     -> UFA-2.0-Build-unity
-> UFA-2.0-Build-unity

How to avoid this? The script will look at the dependencies for every package and if a single dependency is going to be built then the script will not build that package. Following the previous example, the script will look at unity's dependencies, find out that compiz-ubuntu is there, and skip unity because compiz-ubuntu will call it. So we end up with this:

UFA-1.0-Get-Git-Sources
-> UFA-2.0-Build-compiz-ubuntu
     -> UFA-2.0-Build-unity

which is exactly what we want.

The actual build jobs are very simple. All I have to do is set up the dependencies: http://i.imgur.com/35SYJWp.png and then tell it to run build-in-chroot.sh (which is in the git repo).

After a package (UFA-2.0-Build-*) is built, it will call UFA-3.0-Publish-Repo, which uploads the packages to my Dropbox account where the repo is stored.

The build process
All of the builds are done inside chroots. However, I don't do it the way most Arch packagers do it. I do it like Debian/Ubuntu's pbuilder, Fedora's mock, and openSUSE's OBS.

Most Arch packagers create a single chroot and build it inside of a chroot. While it's still technically a "clean" build, it's very easy to miss dependencies. For example, if I forgot to add compiz-ubuntu to unity's dependencies and built the entire Unity-for-Arch project in a single chroot, by the time I get to compiling unity, compiz-ubuntu would already be installed. I would never know that it's required.

Other distros (and I) create a new chroot for every single build. This way, I can find out what all the dependencies are. The builds would fail if any dependency was missing. So, a full rebuild of Unity-for-Arch creates 104 chroots (52 for i686, 52 for x86_64) big_smile

Of course, this completely kills the disk performance. It's bad to the point where "echo hi" takes 5 seconds to run because it takes 5 seconds to load /usr/bin/echo smile

All of the packages are built using "make -j1" right now. I allow 2 packages to be built at the same time, so I'm not sure if "make -j2" would be any faster.

Btw, the total time it takes to build the entire Unity-for-Arch project for both i686 and x86_64 is 8 hours, 13 minutes, and 49 seconds tongue

Questions, bugs?

Please let me know if you have any problems or if there are any bugs. I've tested this for four days so hopefully there aren't any smile

Also, if someone wants to set up Jenkins, whether it's for Unity-for-Arch or another project, I'd be glad to help out.

WoW, I just read this. This is so COOOOL! Thanks!

#1644 2013-03-02 14:13:15

Unia
Website

^ Really, you had to quote all of that post for just a single sentence? wink

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#1645 2013-03-02 19:03:33

tydell
Website

There is small problem with unity. My system is up to date. After last upgrade there is no panel and hud dash after desktop shows up. There also no working unity's keybinding like Alt or Alt+F2 etc. I have only clean wallpaper or icons on desktop too if nautilus handle it. CCSM won't start either (it claims about libprotobuf.so.7). The reason for that situation are two packages:

community/protobuf 2.5.0-1 
community/protobuf-python 2.5.0-1

I had downgrade it to  2.4.1-2 version and after that everything is ok.

#1646 2013-03-02 21:31:45

oi_wtf

You'll just have to rebuild compiz so it'll link against the new protobuf library.

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-03-02 21:45:44)

#1647 2013-03-02 21:47:39

tydell
Website

I thought so. I installed unity via pacman straight from xe-xe repo but i thought it need to recompile it to work with new libraries. Thanks for the answer.

#1648 2013-03-02 22:43:11

utopyand

Hello, i've installed Unity by the aur package, but i can't login, nor with LightDM (gtk-greeter) neither with Lxdm, it just flashes and return to the login prompt. From a log i saw something about pam_authenticate failed, but running Unity from terminal within my Xfce session works.

#1649 2013-03-03 02:46:43

oi_wtf

the aur is not the way you should install unity.
use the unity.xe-xe.org repo or build it yourself using the git repo instead.

beware that as of now compiz-ubuntu of the xe-xe repo is linked against libprotobuf.so.7 (see posts above yours)

#1650 2013-03-03 07:16:50

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

WoW, I just read this. This is so COOOOL! Thanks!

I didn't know anybody read my long posts...Awesome! big_smile

The build server was down for the past few days because it was too much load for my wireless router. Now I got a real pfSense router and everything is fine again smile

ipv4: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/
ipv6: http://[2001:470:8:c14:216:3eff:fe54:ee1e]:8090/

I've just started a rebuild for compiz-ubuntu for the new protobuf update. If you look within the next ~50 minutes, you can see it compile smile http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-2.0-Bui … 12/console

Board footer