You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-17 02:37:20

greenaim

new X server for gaming strange behavior?

Hi, great community.

Since I play CSS from steam and AA2 fom aa25assist, I decided to start this games in a different X server.

Everything is ok... I can start and play the games... But If I switching between X servers, back my work X server... Usually my connections goes off or I'm kicked by the server...

It behaves like, the new X server suspend while I'm in other X server.

For example, in CSS if I'm running a Lan server and I switch to other X server the game stays like paused until I get back...
Or if I click to join a server switch to work X server, do some stuff and get back to the X server game... I was expecting the game opened and connected to the server, etc etc... But no, I waits until I get back and then opens the games.... 

I don't know if it's a strange behavior, but it's not good for online gaming.

Thanks! It's my first post, because all the help I need it's on this forum... But in this case I didn't find anything.

Thanks once more!

Last edited by greenaim (2013-02-17 17:14:23)

#2 2013-02-17 16:45:32

greenaim

Re: new X server for gaming strange behavior?

Anyone using using a new X server for gaming is experiencing this?

Thanks

#3 2013-02-27 01:45:29

greenaim

So anyone uses this solution of, more then one X server, for games, etc...

I just would like to understand this behavior.

#4 2013-03-01 23:32:21

smudge

I think It'll depend how you're starting your new X. Have a look at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152457. Does post #39 help?

#5 2013-03-03 23:27:01

greenaim

I read but no help...

Try to start a new X server and start hedgewars... during the game look the time you have to play... Now change to the other X server...

Wait... wait...

Retun to game and look if the time stoped while you been in the other X server...

In my case the time stops... Like the game pauses... But in online games... ths is not good...

I use awesome windowns manager...

This are my groups:
$ groups
tty wheel audio storage users vboxusers

Last edited by greenaim (2013-03-03 23:27:30)

#6 2013-03-05 07:39:15

Max-P

Is is probably related to your graphic driver.

I use nvidia, and it seems to be only able to only handle a single display at a time for that driver. So when you switch to your work X server, the game server can't render anything which in most cases will pause the game because it does 0 FPS. Things that doesn't depend on the frame rate to work stays mostly unaffected, but many games

Some other games can have highly corrupted graphics when switching X server because they tried to render something offscreen, and it failed. Only one server can use the GPU at a time (at least for proprietary drivers).

I think you are better setting a dedicated workspace with your WM and just switch workspaces instead...

Home this helps

#7 2013-03-05 12:37:08

brebs

greenaim wrote:

the new X server suspend while I'm in other X server.

I've been running games in a separate xorg instance for years, with Nvidia. Had varying things happen when switching between instances, but it's much better these days at just having a little pause for e.g. half a second when switching instance, and no other ill-effects. Sometimes in the past the game used to crash (running under Wine).

I know that the app keeps running, because in-game music keeps playing after switching xorg instance.

Nvidia 310.32 is stable for me.

Here's my "newx" script:

#!/bin/bash

if [[ -e /tmp/.X1-lock ]] ; then
	echo "Is already running, according to the lockfile."
	echo "To clear:  rm /tmp/.X1-lock"
else
	ionice -c2 nice -n -2 X -br -ac -dpi 120 -depth 24 -nolisten tcp :1 &
	xpid=$!
	sleep 1
	if [[ "${xpid}" != "" ]] ; then
		export DISPLAY=:1