You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-18 00:28:32

thanil

Critical Problem with systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

Hi,

I've been an arch user for more than a year now and this is the first time I've come across a bug that hasn't been solved on the internet and that I can't solve either.

The machine I've had problems on is a VPS running custom glibc but I'm not sure it is relevant to my problem.

Recently I updated systemd to version 197-4 (standard update using pacman -Syu) and then rebooted my machine.

Then systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer has started running forever causing systemd-journal to use 100% CPU and to fill my hard drive by logging the following lines over and over again:

Jan 17 01:33:51 www systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
Jan 17 01:33:51 www systemd[1]: Failed to start Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
Jan 17 01:33:51 www systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
Jan 17 01:33:51 www systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Jan 17 01:33:51 www systemd[1]: Failed to start Cleanup of Temporary Directories.

My VPS admin had to shut my VPS down since it was taking ressources from other virtual machines.

When I stop the timer (as root)

systemctl stop systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

everything returns back to normal.

However when I try to run the tmp files clean without the timer:

systemctl start systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service

It is successful

My guess is that this is a timer issue rather than a tmpfiles-clean issue, another reason to believe this is the systemd changelog for this version that indicates a change to calendar timers.

The temporary workaround I found was to deactivate the timer by commenting out the Timer lines in /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

[Timer]
#OnBootSec=15min
#OnUnitActiveSec=1d

I know this is an ugly hack (that also prevents automatic tmp file cleanup) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem.

Thanks!

#2 2013-03-03 19:17:40

Lucky

Re: Critical Problem with systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

Hello,

i got the same problem and i also need to fix this, do you have a solution for this?

Last edited by Lucky (2013-03-03 21:34:08)

#3 2013-03-03 22:14:00

thanil

Re: Critical Problem with systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

Hi, I never found a permanent solution, I've been using the workaround described in my original post since then.

Board footer