You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-24 20:48:17

rabarrett

[SOLVED] No sound on new install, alsamixer can't find/adjust card

Hi,

There was someone with a very similar issue two years ago.  (Post here:  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147049 ).  That thread was not very active and remains unsolved.  I contacted that user and he said he gave up pretty quickly and switched to a Debian install that worked for him without any sound issues.

On a fairly new install, I've never been able to get the sound working on my laptop (Asus z33).  When I go into alsamixer, the only volume control I get is for "Beep" which I have unmuted and raised the volume for.  It indicates at the top "Card:  HDA Intel" "Chip: Realtek ALC880" but I cannot get access to a volume bar to change that.  F6 gives me the choices of "- (default)" and "0 HDA Intel".   Selecting HDA Intel doesn't change anything (still can only change the "Beep" volume.

I've also worked through the Advanced Linux Sound wiki without any help.

Here is the other information I've got:
(I don't know as much about linux as the previous poster, but I can at least follow the info he provided and give it to you from my own machine.)

Speaker test doesn't work:

$ speaker-test -c 2

speaker-test 1.0.26

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Basic hardware info is:

$ lspci |grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
$ head /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: Realtek ALC880
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0880
Subsystem Id: 0x08800000
Revision Id: 0x100800
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
    rates [0x560]: 44100 48000 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
$ lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_hda_codec_realtek  52789  1
snd_hda_intel          23352  1
snd_hda_codec          86035  2  snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              4843   1  snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                63698  2  snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc         6007   2  snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              14903  1  snd_pcm
snd                    45066  8  snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel

LIst of playback devices is empty:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
$ dmesg |grep -i hda
[    5.984848] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: irq 40 for MSI/MSI-X
[    6.052757] input: HDA Digital PCBeep as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/input/input7

The only file I have in /etc/modprobe.d is ipw2200.conf, which I believe is for my wireless card (I have a vague memory of putting that in there a few weeks ago.)

Again, the link to the above article might help someone see what I'm dealing with because I think that user and I have the same laptop and we're having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you for any help,

Rick

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-13 23:41:03)

#2 2013-02-25 14:46:07

qinohe

Re: [SOLVED] No sound on new install, alsamixer can't find/adjust card

Hi, I don't know if I can be of any help in this!
But it would be a shame if you had to leave for another OS cause on Arch you couldn't fix, WTF!

Like I said, answers I have none, but a question I have!
Please give the output from

systemctl |grep sound

Oh yeah, maybe you can try this,; it might be possible that you need to change BIOS settings, cause your videocard can act as a soundcard.
If so you need to change from 'auto' to your 'onboard souncard'.
I don't know if this is valid for you, but if it is I guess you're lucky.)

#3 2013-02-25 20:34:09

s1ln7m4s7r

check this. It may solve your problem .

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=29340

#4 2013-02-27 17:27:00

rabarrett

Yes, I'd rather not abandon arch over this either.  After having worked with Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and openSUSE, I felt like I finally got what I was hoping for when I switched to arch (fast, clean, efficient, elegant).  I've got it running nicely on my desktop and just need to get the sound working on the laptop (which I even found easy to extend to projector screens for Impress (powerpoint) presentations.

Ok, here's what I get from systemctl:

$ systemctl |grep sound
sys-devi...und-card0.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0
sound.target                loaded active active    Sound Card

Also I tried s1ln7m4s7r's link, which suggests this:

$ modprobe snd_hda_intel model=asus

It returns nothing (so it worked?), but it doesn't do anything to solve the problem.

In case it helps, here are some screenshots of what I get in alsamixer:
http://postimage.org/gallery/5j0wtivs/

Any ideas?

Is there any more info I could provide to help someone guide me through troubleshooting?  Any useful logs I haven't posted above?

#5 2013-02-28 15:56:16

Lone_Wolf

Check the module parameters , http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation … Models.txt , there are several asus variants mentioned.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2013-02-28 17:00:29

mich41

rabarrett wrote:

Also I tried s1ln7m4s7r's link, which suggests this:

$ modprobe snd_hda_intel model=asus

This does nothing because snd_hda_intel is already loaded. Run rmmod snd_hda_intel first.

You may also try some generic models, like 3stack.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-02-28 17:00:40)

#7 2013-03-01 21:49:37

rabarrett

In response to the most recent 2 posts, I tried s1ln7m4s7r's suggestion again, but this time as follows:

$ sudo rmmod snd_hda_intel
$
$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel model=asus

Same thing happens (alsamixer brings up only an option on a "beep" column).

I then when to the webpage Lone_Wolf gave me and tried all the different options under ALC880.  Each time I started with

sudo rmmod snd_hda_intel

and then followed it by the specific model and checked alsamixer afterwards, e.g.:

sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel model=3stack

All the asus modes (asus, asus-wlv, asus-dig, asusdig2) just gave me the same "beep" column.

"3stack" gave me multiple columns, I raised the master volume (and all the others to 9) and then ran speaker-test again:  nothing.  However, speaker-test at least ran this time (but I heard no sound).
I've also used the function keys to try to raise the volume on board, but that seems to do nothing (what I mean is that there are special laptop function keys I can access by pressing Fn (which is blue) and other blue keys, like F12 (which also has a blue speaker up vol sign on it).  These seem to do nothing now, but when I was running on openSUSE, I'm pretty sure they worked.  They also worked on the original shipped winXP install.

Anyway, a few of the models listed gave me columns to change in alsamixer.  Each time I raised the volume and then ran the speaker test, but it never produced sound.

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-01 21:50:21)

#8 2013-03-01 23:39:55

mich41

This looks like combination of buggy BIOS and buggy code which handles buggy BIOSes and other model-specific weirdnesses smile
I see that somebody recently refactored this bug handling code - this may be the reason why it worked for whomever wrote this Gentoo wiki, but doesn't work now.

Switch to linux-lts and check if it works there. If not, try asus-whatever and nstack models from this list:

3stack
tcl
3stack-digout
clevo
5stack
5stack-digout
w810
z71v
6stack
6stack-digout
asus
asus-w1v
asus-dig
asus-dig2
uniwill
uniwill-p53
fujitsu
F1734
lg
lg-lw
medion
test
auto

The list is pulled directly from 3.0 source code so all models should exist (I'm not sure about test and auto).

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-01 23:47:22)

#9 2013-03-08 19:19:34

rabarrett

I want to try that, but I'm not sure exactly how I should "switch to linux-lts."  From the link, it looks like I could set it up as a secondary boot option and test it that way before deciding whether or not I want to use it permanently.  If I want to do that, do I install it with pacman and then edit grub manually?  (I'm a little worried about editing grub myself because every time I've had an issue with grub (generally with other distros), it's been very difficult to problem shoot and I've usually been forced to reinstall the whole OS.

#10 2013-03-08 19:48:06

mich41

You can edit boot entries in GRUB just before booting them. Highlight "Arch Linux" and hit e (there are instructions on keyboard shortcuts at the bottom of the screen). Go to the line which mentions vmlinuz-linux, hit e again, change it to vmlinuz-linux-lts and hit esc. Go to the line with initramfs-linux.img and change it to initramfs-linux-lts.img. At last, press b to boot.

Of course the linux-lts package needs to be installed. It doesn't do anything besides putting few files in /boot and /lib/modules/3.0.whatever.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-08 19:59:01)

#11 2013-03-08 20:18:16

rabarrett

That seemed to do it.  I installed the lts kernel with pacman, edited my grub like you said to run the lts kernel, and then used rmmod followed by modprobe to use the "asus" one from the list.  Alsamixer showed me all the bars I would expect, I adjusted them and the speaker test worked fine on 2 channels.  Also youtube is playing music via chromium.

What should I do now?  How would I set up my system to always use the lts kernel?  (And what are the disadvantages or using it?)

Or, if I want to use the cutting edge kernel, is there additional trouble shooting I can do to fix it?

Finally, to be a helpful member of the arch community, is there something I should report (and to whom)?

Thank you for your help!  I'll email the solution to the person who switched to debian when he couldn't resolve it.

#12 2013-03-08 21:10:56

mich41

Does it work without model=asus? IIRC it worked for this Gentoo guy.

Is anything printed to dmesg during reloading with/without model=asus?

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-08 21:14:23)

#13 2013-03-08 21:23:51

rabarrett

It works straight from bootup, so long as I remember to edit GRUB so it uses the lts kernel.

I didn't notice any messages.

lsmod gives me:

]$ lsmod |grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_hda_codec_realtek  222315  1
snd_hda_intel          19035   0
snd_hda_codec          67859   2  snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep              4938    1  snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                60657   2  snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc         5837    2  snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              15062   1  snd_pcm
snd                    43516   6  snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_codec,snd_hd

If (even though it's already working) I go ahead and us rmmod and modprobe snd_hda_intel model=asus, I do not get any messages and the speaker test still works.

Also, after doing that I still get the same response from lsmod as above.

#14 2013-03-08 22:42:01

mich41

If you know C, the relevant piece of 3.0.67 code is here, interesting stuff happens in function patch_alc880.

Since there are no messages about "BIOS autoconfiguration", probably one of these "asus" presets is chosen automatically. They all seem to toggle some GPIO pin (which probably powers up some external amplifier) and populate output pin configuration.

After looking at the code of recent kernels I suspect that by default they will detect ASUS mobo and set GPIOs properly, but will leave alone invalid pin data uploaded by BIOS. OTOH, forcing model to 6stack (only 3stack, 5stack and 6stack actually work here) will disable ASUS GPIO fix, but set pin configuration to something sane (and maybe even matching this mobo).

To test:
Get HDA Analyzer and run it (as root) on LTS. Select "codec-0" and note GPIO configuration (which boxes are checked, which aren't).

Boot non-lts kernel and run HDA Analyzer again. GPIOs should look the same, mixer will show only "beep".

Reload with model=6stack. Mixer will work, GPIOs will be likely set differently (everything cleared?). Setting them manually with HDA Analyzer to the same configuration as in LTS probably won't blow anything up and may fix the problem.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-08 23:07:51)

#15 2013-03-08 23:10:58

rabarrett

I spent 3 months learning C++ about 19 years ago... so I'm guessing I shouldn't bother looking at the code.

I got the HDA Analyzer and ran it as root.

# python run.py
File "run.py", line 12
  print "Please, install pygtk2 or python-gtk package"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax.

I installed pygtk2 with pacman, but I still have the same result when I run it (as root).

#16 2013-03-08 23:17:39

mich41

I guess it was pygtk, not pygtk2 - that's how it's called by pacman.

It seems that this package provides only python 2 module. Try python2 run.py.

EDIT:
I think it would be a good idea to file a bug with ALSA to have this investigated and fixed permanently by them, but their bugtracker seems to be down atm.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-08 23:40:59)

#17 2013-03-08 23:30:03

rabarrett

Yes, you're right, I ran "sudo packer -S pygtk"

Ok, here is the latest:

# python2 run.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Using temporary directory: /dev/shm/hda-analyzer
You may remove this directory when finished or if you like to
download the most recent copy of hda-analyzer tool.
Downloading file hda_analyzer.py
Downloading file hda_guilib.py
Downloading file hda_codec.py
Downloading file hda_proc.py
Downloading file hda_graph.py
Downloading file hda_mixer.py
Downloaded all files, executing hda_analyzer.py
  File "/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py", line 48
    raise ValueError, "URL %s" % url
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I'm still in an LTS boot, but I don't think it executed to the point where I can select "codec-0" yet.

While I'm working on a long-term solution, is there something I should do temporarily so that I boot into LTS without having to edit GRUB each time?

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-08 23:32:47)

#18 2013-03-08 23:37:24

mich41

I guess this script downloaded to /dev/shm get executed by python3 and hence the syntax error.

export DISPLAY=:0  # fix "GtkWarning: could not open display", otherwise it won't work
export XAUTHORITY=/home/whoever-runs-X-session/.Xauthority  # thing to try if it still can't open display, this file should exist
ln -s /usr/bin/python2 python
export PATH=.:$PATH  # temporarily make python2 the default "python"

EDIT: Xauthority

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-08 23:50:54)

#19 2013-03-08 23:47:30

rabarrett

Ok, after making those changes:

# python2 run.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_guilib.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_codec.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_proc.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_graph.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_mixer.py
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:149: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  gtk.Window.__init__(self)
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:149: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:155: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  self.tooltips = gtk.Tooltips()
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:155: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:161: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  scrolled_window = gtk.ScrolledWindow()
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:455: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  treeview.append_column(column)
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:455: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:169: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("About")
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:169: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:173: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Revert")
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:173: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:177: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Diff")
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:177: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:181: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Exp")
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:181: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:185: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Graph")
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:185: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:404: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  l.set_text_with_mnemonic(label)
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:404: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:464: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  scrolled_window.add(text_view)
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I'm sorry I'm not more knowledgeable about how to trouble shoot it.  I feel like I'm failing you at handling these details.

#20 2013-03-08 23:53:17

mich41

See my edit, iirc DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY should be all env variables you need to run X programs.

Or if you have ssh running, instead of su use ssh -Y root@localhost and then setup this python symlink, export PATH and run python run.py.
EDIT: Sorry, it may not work, I'm not sure if Arch's default sshd_config permits X forwarding for root.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-08 23:58:38)

#21 2013-03-09 01:26:08

rabarrett

(still in "su -" mode I ran it with your edits)

# python run.py
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_guilib.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_codec.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_proc.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_graph.py
File cached /dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_mixer.py
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:149: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:149: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:155: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:155: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:161: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:455: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:455: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:169: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:169: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:173: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:173: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:177: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:177: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:181: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:181: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:185: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:185: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:404: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:404: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:464: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_analyzer.py:471: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(code contents edited -- I think I didn't do it right the first time)

I then exited su mode and tried ssh -Y, but it doesn't recognize that command.

I could just login directly as root and try it too.  I'll do that and then report back.

Ok, that didn't work any better (from what I see, the same output as the code I just posted).

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-09 01:47:29)

#22 2013-03-09 11:55:08

zorro

I raised a parallel question in the Multimedia Forum with a very similar problem to yours - Realtek ALC880 hardware.

The suggestions posted here have solved my issue. Thankyou.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159072

#23 2013-03-09 12:30:29

mich41

For some reason, running X apps after su always worked for me. Maybe I reconfigured something years ago and forgot about it.

It seems that it isn't supposed to work out of the box in Arch, but there are some su replacements which work (I think sux may be the best fit here):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ru … ps_as_root

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-09 12:32:13)

#24 2013-03-09 17:51:01

rabarrett

zorro wrote:

I raised a parallel question in the Multimedia Forum with a very similar problem to yours - Realtek ALC880 hardware.

The suggestions posted here have solved my issue. Thankyou.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159072

Thank you Zorro, but alas, mich41 was on top of that, we tried it, and it didn't work (see post #7 above).

#25 2013-03-09 18:02:13

rabarrett

I installed sux.  I tried to use it immediately with "sux <user> python run.py", but that gave me the old "Please, install pygtk2.." error, so I ran the export steps in #18 and then ran python with sux.  Result:

xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/<user>

It ran for a while before it eventually generated that response.

Board footer