You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-11 02:00:10

kevdog

Can't Logout or Reboot the machine with Cinnamon Desktop and SLIM

I've followed the wiki in order to try to install slim (having removed gdm).

I can't reboot or turnoff the system from either the Arch Menu or applet.  The arch wiki stated I should start these "programs" from within slim.conf -- however these are more appletes.  How do I configure the applet to logout or menu to logout with SLIM?  They previously worked with GDM.

#2 2013-03-11 03:06:47

WonderWoofy

Re: Can't Logout or Reboot the machine with Cinnamon Desktop and SLIM

What is it you are asking?  I assume since you are also referencing logging out that you are asking about doing this from Cinnamon, but then you ask about a menu to logout with slim, so I am not entirely sure if I am correct in that assumption.

If you are indeed asking about doing this from within the DE, is your logind session active? 

Determine your logind session with

$ loginctl 

Then assuming it shows you are session 1 do

$ loginctl show-session 1 
Active=yes

If you see that, then your session is active.

You could also simply try suspending with systemctl without root

$ systemctl suspend 

If your session is active, you should be able to shutdown and suspend and logout.  But I don't know enough about cinnamon to tell you what to do further.

#3 2013-03-12 04:20:49

kevdog

Thanks for your help.  I just gave up on this solution.  Booting with SLIM vs GDM -- for some reason the audio wasn't working when starting with SLIM but would with GDM -- not only the inability to log out through the applets (and not just the terminal which would work). Maybe because Cinnamon is tied to Gnome3 -- I have no idea.  Maybe I'll just try with a different Display Manager.

#4 2013-03-12 04:52:11

WonderWoofy

Slim has some known issues with systemd. I haven't used slim since sysv init, so I cannot delve any deeper into that aspect. But I am glad to hear you found something that works for you.

#5 2013-03-13 06:17:41

kevdog

Well actually I really wanted to get away from GDM -- that was the same goal -- but found out this was a little harder to do in practice than theory.  Will GDM recognize automatically if I install another DE on the install like OpenBox and give me the choice to boot into this?  One of the reported benefits of slim was that it was very easy to boot into the window manager or DE of your choice by simple modification the slim.conf file.  It seems GDM is far more complex.

#6 2013-03-13 19:27:28

cookies

kevdog wrote:

I can't reboot or turnoff the system from either the Arch Menu or applet. The arch wiki stated I should start these "programs" from within slim.conf -- however these are more appletes.  How do I configure the applet to logout or menu to logout with SLIM?  They previously worked with GDM.

Unfortunately, this sounds a lot like https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159010 (KDE without kdm in this case), so I'd guess that Gnome and therefore Cinnamon is just as dependent on gdm as KDE is on kdm (or gdm, that seems to be working now, too). You might ask upstream for help, they should know what's going on.

kevdog wrote:

the inability to log out through the applets (and not just the terminal which would work)

You might add some launchers to your panels that run the desired commands. It's not pretty, but it should work.

kevdog wrote:

Maybe I'll just try with a different Display Manager.

Slim works nicely with xfce and awesome wm, so I'd guess slim will do fine with any WM/DE that doesn't come with its own login manager. And if you really liked the Gnome 2 look and feel, you might be happy with xfce.

Board footer