You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-11 17:14:02

jay1901

[SOLVED] Can ping router, but not internet (static IP)

I've searched the forums and google and haven't found a solution yet and I'm at my wits end lol.

Here's the problem: I can ping my router (192.168.1.1) just fine, but I can't ping anything else. Other machines on the LAN (both wired and wireless), google's DNS servers, domains, nothing all report "Destination Port Unreachable." The problem started randomly a few days ago after a reboot. Everything was working fine before and after updates, but after one reboot, all I can ping is the router. I can't ping the arch machine from other machines on the network either.

Also, it's probably unrelated, but I've been having issues with booting arch lately too. I have win7 installed on a separate drive and if I boot into it and then into arch it gets stuck at the Welcome to Grub! screen. The only way to boot into arch now is to select its HDD from the mobo's boot menu (even though it's the first boot device).

The only reason I mention it at all, is because when I look at the 'attached devices' page on my router's config page it lists my arch machine (I set the hostname to arch), as WIN7-HACKINTOSH which is the name of it on the Windows drive (this machine used to dual boot OSX and win7 before I got tired of OSX and switched to arch).

netcfg and net-auto-wired are both enabled and load just fine.

Here's my /etc/network.d/ethernet-static:

CONNECTION='ethernet'
DESCRIPTION="A basic static ethernet connection using iproute'
INTERFACE='enp4s0'
IP='static'
ADDR='192.168.1.20'
#ROUTES=('192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.1.2')
GATEWAY='192.168.1.1'
DNS=('192.168.1.1')

The IPv6 stuff from the sample file is all commented out.

Here's my /etc/conf.d/netcfg

NETWORKS="ethernet-static"
WIRED_INTERFACE="enp4s0"

The rest is commented out.

Here's my route -n:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway          Genmask          Flags Metric Ref     Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1         0.0.0.0              UG     0        0        0     enp4s0
192.168.1.0    0.0.0.0             255.255.255.0        U      0        0        0     enp4s0

I need a static ip for port forwarding purposes. I tried everything I could find on the forums, but most of it applied to wireless connections and dhcp. Hopefully, I'm just making a n00b mistake that someone can point out easy enough. Sorry to be a bother and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

EDIT: I solved the problem by just re-installing arch. I didn't see the first suggestion below before I lost patience and did the re-install. If you're having the same problem, try that suggestion first before re-installing. Good luck.

Last edited by jay1901 (2013-03-18 14:36:21)

#2 2013-03-13 03:48:35

lspci

Re: [SOLVED] Can ping router, but not internet (static IP)

I don't really think that there is such a thing as noob mistake in Arch, just user mistakes; at any rate I've never come across this exact problem, though I've had my fair share of lack-of-network-connectivity loads of times. 
hmm

Have you verified that your router is setup as a DNS server, I'm actually rather surprised that you actually specified a DNS server, I don't have one specified on my profiles and I think that you might want to try to see if commenting that line out helps, unless of course you have it there because you know that it is supposed to be there.

Last edited by lspci (2013-03-13 03:48:54)

Please don't be a help vampire. | Bitbucket

Give a little more for a little less today.  smile

#3 2013-03-18 14:34:18

jay1901

I ended up reinstalling arch and that fixed the problem. Uncommenting the DNS server line might have solved it earlier, but I doubt it, as the line is still uncommented in the new /etc/network.d/ethernet-static. And since everything is working, I plan to not mess with any network settings again lol.

A good suggestion, I just wish I had seen the reply before I reinstalled arch.

For anyone else who had this same problem and just can't solve it, if you have a separate partition for your home folder then reinstalling arch is super easy and you won't lose any of your data (expect for a few configurations and you'll have to reinstall your apps of course).

#4 2014-01-08 08:55:08

kiru

i cannot ping

ping -c 3 www.google.com

returns

ping: unknown host www.google.com

but i can browse internet

wget google.com

also works fine

i have the same problem in ubuntu too

#5 2014-01-10 23:21:42

lspci

kiru wrote:

i cannot ping

ping -c 3 www.google.com

returns

ping: unknown host www.google.com

but i can browse internet

wget google.com

also works fine

i have the same problem in ubuntu too

What're your network settings? Have you tried running

sudo dhcpcd
ping -c 3 www.google.com