You are not logged in.

#1701 2013-03-11 19:34:13

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Crap, I need to find a new place to host the repo then sad

What about google drive? I skimmed through their terms but didn't find anything related.

Google drive is pretty good, but the command line tools require authentication from a web browser once every few days.

#1702 2013-03-11 20:27:44

Pajn

qiuwei wrote:

You can use chenxiaolong's tesing repo temporarily. It already uses qt4.

The buildscript struggeled whit dependecis (my half installed Unity) so I tried the testing repo
and it worked.
libindicate-qt is still depending on qt-ubuntu though.

#1703 2013-03-11 20:30:02

Pajn

Unia wrote:
Pajn wrote:

Someone should create an Archbuntu which is Unity and most needed programs (gedit, file-roller, firefox) just as
Ubuntu but based on Arch (rolling release, later versions of programs) smile

Isn't that exactly what this project does? It's just a bit messed up now since the qt5 update; just give it some time to iron that out.

Nah. This provieds the Unity part. but not the rest: have a fylly installed distro.
Even after installing this there are still lots of apps missing for a usable desktop.

I know that is the Arch way but it would be nice if there where a distro based on
this wich provieds everything from start.

#1704 2013-03-11 20:58:38

chenxiaolong

Pajn wrote:
Unia wrote:
Pajn wrote:

Someone should create an Archbuntu which is Unity and most needed programs (gedit, file-roller, firefox) just as
Ubuntu but based on Arch (rolling release, later versions of programs) smile

Isn't that exactly what this project does? It's just a bit messed up now since the qt5 update; just give it some time to iron that out.

Nah. This provieds the Unity part. but not the rest: have a fylly installed distro.
Even after installing this there are still lots of apps missing for a usable desktop.

I know that is the Arch way but it would be nice if there where a distro based on
this wich provieds everything from start.

I've created a Unity-for-Arch-LiveCD project a few weeks ago (https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch-LiveCD). It works, but the iso is huge, LightDM doesn't start, there's some PolicyKit issues (can't reboot with passwordless account), and there's no installer. If someone wants to work on this, I'll gladly give commit access to the repo smile

EDIT: I shouldn't say there's no installer. There *is* the default Arch install scripts, which will install a Arch system identical to one created by the official iso image. But there's no live-installer.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-03-11 21:00:33)

#1705 2013-03-12 12:26:24

oi_wtf

gadelat wrote:

@qiuwei, @oi_wtf
chenxiaolongs repo is located on dropbox which is not wise choice, they remove public high traffic links fast, for me it does not work already. Does it work for you?
@qiuwei pyside is not in Unity-for-Arch, but it is in Unity-for-Arch-Extra, right? Why is it there if it's not working? But still, i did not install Unity-for-Arch-Extra, but Unity-for-Arch. When i read your comment i found out that bash script from https://gist.github.com/3906721 mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity everytime forcefully clones and builds Unity-for-Arch-Extra. So i removed mentions of Extra in that build script and it compiled successfully.

@ gadelat
Well, if you'd said that you're using a/this script, we probably could have told you.
You didn't mention how, or what you want or don't want, just "it isn't working" doesn't help much,
if you don't provide information what exactly doesn't work.
That information should include the same things you'd write in a bug report, it maight even be one.

Also, just because a package is in the git repo doesn't mean it's flawless.
Even if the package stayed exactly the same, others could change and break it any time.
But if you did provide enough information, we and chenxiaolong would have known whats wrong and could actually fix that issue.

In this case it was qt4, which changed the include path of phonon.
It changed from `/usr/include/phonon` to `/usr/include/qt4/phonon`.
Easy to fix, if you know, what's wrong.

that aside, it would have been enough to remove or comment out `pull_changes_unity_extra` and `build_extra`
in line 162 and 164 of the script for it to not pull and build extra.

@chen,
i've tried out the LiveCD last week or so and I didn't come up with a solution yet,
just the weird fact thst lightdm obviously gets the SIGTERM signal somehow.
But I like that project, because it would be nice to have a LiveCD with a nice GUI,
so other people than me could use it, too.
For me it would be a CD for mainly fixing things and/or showing off, big_smile
but the tought, that it would be nice to have a simple and neat graphical installer, crossed my mind,
so I might write one. If there's someone with the same thought out there, we could join forces.^^

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-03-12 14:25:05)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1706 2013-03-13 14:10:41

pogeymanz

How are you guys working around not having a system try in Unity? Some apps really require one, and a lot of apps just make my life easier by having one.

#1707 2013-03-13 16:13:25

sollidsnake

pogeymanz wrote:

How are you guys working around not having a system try in Unity? Some apps really require one, and a lot of apps just make my life easier by having one.

Change de value of /com/canonical/Unity/Panel/systray-whitelist in dconf to ['all'] and restart the session. That enables the system tray.

Last edited by sollidsnake (2013-03-13 16:13:48)

Non serviam

#1708 2013-03-13 16:20:05

sollidsnake

I'm having trouble with the active blur. The compiz compositing works fine and fast, but when I open dash or alt tab without disabling the active blur in dconf it gets really slow.
I tested this in ubuntu 12.10 and I don't have this problem. Could this be related to video drivers? How can I diagnose the cause?

Last edited by sollidsnake (2013-03-13 16:20:54)

Non serviam

#1709 2013-03-13 19:42:55

pogeymanz

sollidsnake wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Change de value of /com/canonical/Unity/Panel/systray-whitelist in dconf to ['all'] and restart the session. That enables the system tray.

Awesome. Isn't Unity soon going to remove even that option? That's what my prior googling seemed to indicate.

#1710 2013-03-13 19:43:41

Kopkins

pogeymanz wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Awesome. Isn't Unity soon going to remove even that option? That's what my prior googling seemed to indicate.

Yes, you can see a conversation about it a page or two back in this thread.

#1711 2013-03-13 19:45:26

chenxiaolong

pogeymanz wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

They did remove it (well a part of it). Unity still has the ability to have a system tray, but they removed the configuration options for it. They hardcoded Unity to only show Java and Wine tray icons. My unity package adds the dconf keys back, so it's configurable again smile

#1712 2013-03-13 19:47:56

pogeymanz

chenxiaolong wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

They did remove it (well a part of it). Unity still has the ability to have a system tray, but they removed the configuration options for it. They hardcoded Unity to only show Java and Wine tray icons. My unity package adds the dconf keys back, so it's configurable again smile

That's good news. Do you think that your Unity packages will have a configurable system tray for basically forever?

#1713 2013-03-13 19:52:09

chenxiaolong

sollidsnake wrote:

I'm having trouble with the active blur. The compiz compositing works fine and fast, but when I open dash or alt tab without disabling the active blur in dconf it gets really slow.
I tested this in ubuntu 12.10 and I don't have this problem. Could this be related to video drivers? How can I diagnose the cause?

Is there any chance Unity could be running with software rendering? ~/.xsession-errors will contain

compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).

if software rendering is used. I don't think the issue is with the video drivers (based on my experience), but with compiz. I'd suggest exporting your compiz settings in ccsm, running "compiz.reset", and then importing your settings again.

#1714 2013-03-13 19:54:50

chenxiaolong

pogeymanz wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

That's good news. Do you think that your Unity packages will have a configurable system tray for basically forever?

Absolutely smile I'll keep it configurable as long as the Unity developers don't completely remove the system tray code.

#1715 2013-03-13 20:03:06

pogeymanz

chenxiaolong wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Absolutely smile I'll keep it configurable as long as the Unity developers don't completely remove the system tray code.

*Fingers crossed*

#1716 2013-03-14 04:24:33

sollidsnake

chenxiaolong wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Is there any chance Unity could be running with software rendering? ~/.xsession-errors will contain

compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).

if software rendering is used. I don't think the issue is with the video drivers (based on my experience), but with compiz. I'd suggest exporting your compiz settings in ccsm, running "compiz.reset", and then importing your settings again.

Nope. I only found this one

compiz (core) - Info: Unity is fully supported by your hardware.

I already tried compiz.reset and everything I could think of. I've got no more ideas.

Non serviam

#1717 2013-03-14 13:00:10

didaho

I'm having troubles compiling a few unity packages from GIT, getting:

target not found: dbus-test-runner

I can't find dbus-test-runner anywhere....

Any tip?

thanks!
r.

#1718 2013-03-14 13:54:59

oi_wtf

Just disable tests/check by passing --nocheck to makepkg,
if you want to do the tests, TESTPKG-dbus-test-runner is what you're looking for...

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1719 2013-03-15 18:27:34

sollidsnake

Is it possible to recompile unity/compiz without the launcher?

I searched for it and doesn't have a user lever customization for that. I only want to use the panel with a dock bar, like mac. So I thought in editing the source to remove the laucher and recompile it.

Would it be that relative simple task or is the launcher too deep into the code?

Last edited by sollidsnake (2013-03-15 18:38:33)

Non serviam

#1720 2013-03-15 21:10:43

gadelat

Is there a way to show keyboard layout indicator?
Plus, does keyboard shortcut for changing keyboard layout in keyboard settings work for you?

Last edited by gadelat (2013-03-15 21:12:01)

#1721 2013-03-15 23:39:44

sollidsnake

gadelat wrote:

Is there a way to show keyboard layout indicator?
Plus, does keyboard shortcut for changing keyboard layout in keyboard settings work for you?

I suggest you qxkb in aur. You will have the indicator plus shortcuts to change the layouts

Non serviam

#1722 2013-03-16 19:29:54

chenxiaolong

For those who are interested in the Unity-for-Arch-LiveCD project, LightDM no longer crashes, so it can boot to a Unity desktop now smile

EDIT: With commit b54db2140acdc78c89797e92c217617099715cfe (Unity-for-Arch-LiveCD), the default settings work now (ie. Ambiance is used, buttons on the left, etc.)

EDIT2: Still need to fix the lock screen so passwordless users aren't locked out.

EDIT3: Commit 4cb07f4bd77bae830f6354207e76a9c108e561b7 (Unity-for-Arch) should fix the issue where the Live CD user can lock itself in the screensaver.

EDIT4: Thanks to Fedora's systemd-logind port for LightDM, shutdown/reboot/logoff/etc no longer needs a password to work (on the LiveCD).

If there are any more issues in the Live CD, please let me know.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-03-17 01:10:38)

#1723 2013-03-18 20:16:08

aabmass

sollidsnake wrote:

I've got the same problem with dash and alt+tab being really slow. I haven't tested disabling active blur or checked the logs, will do later.

#1724 2013-03-18 20:42:34

chenxiaolong

Does anyone know if Xorg 1.14.0's new pointer barrier features are compatible with Unity?

#1725 2013-03-18 20:44:07

oi_wtf

I've updated to 1.14 today, and revealing the launcher does not work, so I think it's incompatible.
I didn't rebuild unity though.

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-03-18 20:45:38)

Board footer