You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-20 02:26:34

arek_menner

Idle Curiosity - Can't Ping Router After A While

Hi, folks!

Long time listener, first time caller wink

So I'm using NetworkManager through systemctl (which seems to run it with the --no-daemon flag, which means nothing shows up in the log, which seems odd because it IS a daemon, and so should probably be running without that flag). It's causing a whole bunch of problems, and I'm gonna switch to wicd, because it seems way better.

That being said, I am extremely curious about one problem that shows up in particular, which is that after a while I end up losing my connection and being unable to ping my router. I have the MAC of my router stored in a text file just in case, and I've tried adding it to the arp table (when the original problem happens, I usually see an incomplete arp record after a time of being connectionless), but I still can't ping the router.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why that would be the case. I'd say my wireless is just spotty, but it never seems to happen on Windows or on my partner's machine.

Happy to provide any output, e.g. NetworkManager logs, or wireshark traces (looking over them myself hasn't turned anything up).

#2 2013-03-20 02:41:26

WonderWoofy

Re: Idle Curiosity - Can't Ping Router After A While

I think what would be more relevant than your network management daemon would be your hardware.

#3 2013-03-20 17:25:10

arek_menner

Absolutely!

lspci | grep Network
05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

I'm using the brcmsmac driver. I'm not sure if there's a command I could run to ensure that, but the NetworkManager logs do say so.

#4 2013-03-20 22:06:21

WonderWoofy

Make lspci verbose and don't grep just net Network line, and it will tell you what module is loaded for each piece of hardware.

I have very limited experience with broadcom, but from what I can tell from reading threads around here, there tends to be more than once module available for most Broadcom cards.  I think it is typically an in-tree module as well as the Broadcom provided one.  Have you checked if there are other modules that can be used for this card?

Edit: The wiki has an entire page dedicated to broadcom wireless cards.  It seems that there is a b43 module which is a reverse engineered module, and there is a broadcom-wl module which is provided by broadcom.  Check it out and see what you can find out.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-03-20 22:11:09)

Board footer