You are not logged in.

#1801 2013-03-25 22:22:42

qiuwei

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

sespiros wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

FYI, qt4-ubuntu is already in chenxiaolong's testing repo.
It's quite stable though it's called testing:) All the packages all compiled in clean chroot environment.
If you don't need to custom any packages, just use that repo. It's also more eco-friendly, isn't it?

I have problems with the github versions, when i build it myself. And from the repos, i found in the wiki about unity, i got the qt4 conflicts. Which is this testing repo you mention? I missed it maybe

The wiki is not updated yet.
I meant

[Unity-for-Arch]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch/$arch

[Unity-for-Arch-Extra] 
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch-Extra/$arch

#1802 2013-03-26 00:20:22

sespiros

qiuwei wrote:

I meant

[Unity-for-Arch]

[Unity-for-Arch-Extra] 

Finally, got it working with these repositories. Apparently something I did wrong when trying to build it myself.
Now I 'm trying to test all the features in comparison with an ubuntu 12.10 vm and these are my problems so far(is it just me??):
- fb, twitter, g+ webapps prompt me for installation but do not appear in the messages panel
- gmail and calendar webapps don't prompt me at all
- Any of the webapps doesn't work in chromium(neither in ubuntu though) only on firefox, i thought they should
- the online accounts feature doesn't list the facebook account and some others

And finally, when launching with startx all work normally(i have exec gnome-session --session=ubuntu in xinitrc) but when trying to launch with a dm (kdm and lightdm) unity doesn't load and .xsession-errors reports errors from compiz that another composite manager is already running...any ideas?

Except these minor issues it works perfectly and i think the combination arch-unity is much faster than ubuntu-unity. Nice job!

#1803 2013-03-26 03:08:11

chenxiaolong

sespiros wrote:

Now I 'm trying to test all the features in comparison with an ubuntu 12.10 vm and these are my problems so far(is it just me??):
- fb, twitter, g+ webapps prompt me for installation but do not appear in the messages panel

Webapps support is a pain to get working. Some features (probably the ones you listed) require the Firefox extensions to be built inside the Firefox tree. That means firefox would need to be rebuilt, which can easily take a few hours (especially the PGO builds).

sespiros wrote:

- Any of the webapps doesn't work in chromium(neither in ubuntu though) only on firefox, i thought they should

From what I can see, Ubuntu pretty much stopped development on this.

sespiros wrote:

You need empathy-ubuntu installed smile

sespiros wrote:

And finally, when launching with startx all work normally(i have exec gnome-session --session=ubuntu in xinitrc) but when trying to launch with a dm (kdm and lightdm) unity doesn't load and .xsession-errors reports errors from compiz that another composite manager is already running...any ideas?

Could you post your .xsession-errors file? And also the process list, so I can see what other compositing manager is running? ("ps aux")

sespiros wrote:

Except these minor issues it works perfectly and i think the combination arch-unity is much faster than ubuntu-unity. Nice job!

Glad you enjoy it smile If there are any other issues, please let me know and I'll try to fix them.

#1804 2013-03-26 03:18:45

Kopkins

sespiros wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

I meant

[Unity-for-Arch]

[Unity-for-Arch-Extra] 

Finally, got it working with these repositories. Apparently something I did wrong when trying to build it myself.

Check the files in /usr/share/xsessions for anything that might lead to a composite manager interfering. Those are what is used by kdm, lightdm.

You can also write your own .desktop file. In /usr/share/xsessions make a file <whatever-name-you-want>.desktop

In it put

[Desktop Entry]
Name=<name-you-want>
Comment=<your-comment-if you want>
Exec=gnome-session --session=ubuntu
Icon=
Type=Application

That should be picked up by the login manager.

#1805 2013-03-26 16:15:41

sespiros

chenxiaolong wrote:

Webapps support is a pain to get working. Some features (probably the ones you listed) require the Firefox extensions to be built inside the Firefox tree. That means firefox would need to be rebuilt, which can easily take a few hours (especially the PGO builds).

I imagined that, but i really like ubuntu's integration with them, I'd switch to firefox, so if you manage to do it anyway post me how to do it.

chenxiaolong wrote:
sespiros wrote:

You need empathy-ubuntu installed

i have empahty-ubuntu installed and doesn't show the accounts i see in the ubuntu vm, i tried installing empathy and then reinstalling empathy-ubuntu but still doesn't work.

chenxiaolong wrote:

Could you post your .xsession-errors file? And also the process list, so I can see what other compositing manager is running? ("ps aux")

Kopkins wrote:

Check the files in /usr/share/xsessions for anything that might lead to a composite manager interfering. Those are what is used by kdm, lightdm.
You can also write your own .desktop file. In /usr/share/xsessions make a file <whatever-name-you-want>.desktop

The .xsession-errors  link
ps-aux link

EDIT: i had this line in .xprofile "xcompmgr -c -C -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o55 &" and i don't remember the reason. Despite that, now unity fails to start with either dm either startx(the only thing is loading is the desktop)
The new .xsession-errors (without the conflicting compositing manager)link

Thanks

Last edited by sespiros (2013-03-26 16:16:15)

#1806 2013-03-26 20:41:47

gadelat

I added testing repo, did -Syu and unity desktop did not start, only clean desktop showed with thunderbird as i have set it to run at start. Howewer, compiz worked as few shortcuts as super+w and super+s worked. I did steps in README file for unity reset, they did not work. After some not working steps i found solution on askubuntu - tool unity-revamp from github. This finally worked and unity desktop since then started ok, but then there was another problem. Unity dash has been crashing whole unity. I solved it by running command i found in this thread "gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache". Now, dash does not crashes, but it's empty, it can't find any apps. Since then i'm stuck because solution for ubuntu advises to delete contents of zeitgeist folder which is not present in archlinux.

TL;DR: My dash is empty

#1807 2013-03-27 02:06:41

chenxiaolong

sespiros wrote:

The .xsession-errors  link
ps-aux link

EDIT: i had this line in .xprofile "xcompmgr -c -C -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o55 &" and i don't remember the reason. Despite that, now unity fails to start with either dm either startx(the only thing is loading is the desktop)
The new .xsession-errors (without the conflicting compositing manager)link

Thanks

Hmm...the composite extension is failing to load. Do you have something like this in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf by chance?

Option         "Composite" "Disable"

You probably already tried this, but can you reset compiz with:

compiz.reset

#1808 2013-03-27 20:52:49

qiuwei

Hi,

It seems that the application lens stopped working with the latest version, can anyone confirm this?
Now I can't use the dashboard to launch any application.

Edit: after resetting compiz, everything works.

Last edited by qiuwei (2013-03-27 21:37:46)

#1809 2013-03-27 20:54:01

qiuwei

gadelat wrote:

I added testing repo, did -Syu and unity desktop did not start, only clean desktop showed with thunderbird as i have set it to run at start. Howewer, compiz worked as few shortcuts as super+w and super+s worked. I did steps in README file for unity reset, they did not work. After some not working steps i found solution on askubuntu - tool unity-revamp from github. This finally worked and unity desktop since then started ok, but then there was another problem. Unity dash has been crashing whole unity. I solved it by running command i found in this thread "gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache". Now, dash does not crashes, but it's empty, it can't find any apps. Since then i'm stuck because solution for ubuntu advises to delete contents of zeitgeist folder which is not present in archlinux.

TL;DR: My dash is empty

Try to reinstall unity and compiz, then run

compiz.reset

Last edited by qiuwei (2013-03-27 21:39:12)

#1810 2013-03-27 21:47:03

chenxiaolong

For those who are having issues after the updates from yesterday, please rebuild the packages depending on icu (forgot which ones, sorry) or use my testing repos.

The URLs for the testing repos are always available at http://cxl.epac.to:8091/

On another note, I will be adding GNOME 3.8 support in the GNOME-3.8 branch: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … /GNOME-3.8 I haven't pushed any commits yet. I need to clear out 30GB of space so I can take a snapshot of my VM first smile

EDIT: Input methods may break with the new updates. There are two ways to fix this:

If you've already updated:

pacman -S gtk2-ubuntu gtk3-ubuntu

If you haven't updated yet:

pacman -Sy icu
pacman -S gtk2-ubuntu gtk3-ubuntu
pacman -Su

EDIT2: HA!

http://i.imgur.com/1b0Z3yr.png and http://i.imgur.com/s7pSdmh.png I don't think I've been that desperate for space before smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-03-27 22:17:27)

#1811 2013-03-28 21:47:22

hachre
Website

Guys, I am not certain I've got the full experience running here.

I'm on a MacBook Air 13" with NVIDIA graphics using the linux-ck and nvidia-ck packages.

'glxinfo | grep direct' yields 'direct rendering: Yes'
glxgears runs with a solid 60fps

However .xsession-errors says this:

compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is fully supported by your hardware.
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl

Sometimes the errors appear in reverse order (first fully supported, then not after all). I'm not sure now if everything works as it should cause I have never seen Unity fully accelerated...

I've tried to create a new user and the error is there too. I've also tried compiz.reset which didn't change anything about this problem. How can I go about debugging this and finding the cause?

I installed everything from the Unity-for-Arch and Unity-for-Arch-Extra repositories and I have testing enabled. I also have full gnome with gnome-shell installed.

Thanks for any pointers!

Last edited by hachre (2013-03-28 21:50:36)

#1812 2013-03-29 14:09:56

hachre
Website

Forget my previous post. smile I removed all packages, and reinstalled it all from scratch and it works very well now. I think something might have been borked because this machine has seen several iterations of nvidia drivers, intel and virtualbox and something was probably screwed up somewhere very hard to find...

I do have a new problem now though! Whenever I create a new user the 'unity-tweak-tool' works correctly. However once I change some settings in the first three icons and close it it no longer starts. This is 100% reproduciable. I haven't figured out if it's a specific setting you have to toggle or just doing anything that makes it fail on the next launch. Once it fails to launch I have not found out a way of getting it to start again except making a new user.

The error output when it fails to run is following:

Initialising...
schema com.canonical.notify-osd not installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/unity-tweak-tool", line 57, in <module>
    UnityTweakTool.init()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 119, in init
    connectpages()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 56, in connectpages
    from UnityTweakTool.section.unity import Unity
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/unity.py", line 124, in <module>
    Unity.add_page(unitysettings)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/skeletonpage.py", line 47, in add_page
    page.refresh()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/elements/option.py", line 62, in refresh
    self.ho.refresh()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/sphagetti/unity.py", line 399, in refresh
    if gsettings.notifyosd.get_string('multihead-mode') == 'follow-focus':
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_string'

The version that im using is 0.0.3-1 built on Sat Mar 23 02:40:22 2013.

#1813 2013-03-29 15:42:25

chenxiaolong

hachre wrote:

Forget my previous post. smile I removed all packages, and reinstalled it all from scratch and it works very well now. I think something might have been borked because this machine has seen several iterations of nvidia drivers, intel and virtualbox and something was probably screwed up somewhere very hard to find...

I do have a new problem now though! Whenever I create a new user the 'unity-tweak-tool' works correctly. However once I change some settings in the first three icons and close it it no longer starts. This is 100% reproduciable. I haven't figured out if it's a specific setting you have to toggle or just doing anything that makes it fail on the next launch. Once it fails to launch I have not found out a way of getting it to start again except making a new user.

The error output when it fails to run is following:

Initialising...
schema com.canonical.notify-osd not installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/unity-tweak-tool", line 57, in <module>
    UnityTweakTool.init()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 119, in init
    connectpages()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 56, in connectpages
    from UnityTweakTool.section.unity import Unity
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/unity.py", line 124, in <module>
    Unity.add_page(unitysettings)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/skeletonpage.py", line 47, in add_page
    page.refresh()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/elements/option.py", line 62, in refresh
    self.ho.refresh()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/sphagetti/unity.py", line 399, in refresh
    if gsettings.notifyosd.get_string('multihead-mode') == 'follow-focus':
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_string'

The version that im using is 0.0.3-1 built on Sat Mar 23 02:40:22 2013.

If that fixed the software rendering problems, then I guess it's time to reinstall my other computer (messed up Intel Graphics) big_smile

For the unity-tweak-tool problem, try installing notify-osd. If that solves the problem, I'll add it to the dependencies smile

#1814 2013-03-29 16:00:50

hachre
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

For the unity-tweak-tool problem, try installing notify-osd. If that solves the problem, I'll add it to the dependencies smile

Great that worked smile Thanks!

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this, I really like Unity and I really love Arch and I couldn't really live with Ubuntu as a replacement for Arch just to get Unity because I love it so much... smile But because of your awesome work I can have Unity and stick with Arch at the same time smile !! Thanks

Last edited by hachre (2013-03-29 16:05:57)

#1815 2013-03-29 18:33:50

gadelat

qiuwei wrote:

compiz.reset

Problem solved, thanks! Another problem: shortcut shift+ctrl+alt+arrow for moving windows to other workspaces does not work. Does it work for you guys?

#1816 2013-03-29 18:40:38

chenxiaolong

gadelat wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

compiz.reset

Problem solved, thanks! Another problem: shortcut shift+ctrl+alt+arrow for moving windows to other workspaces does not work. Does it work for you guys?

Works here. Did you check the "Enable workspaces" box in the settings? http://i.imgur.com/15p8CZs.png

#1817 2013-03-29 19:00:43

chenxiaolong

hachre wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Great that worked smile Thanks!

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this, I really like Unity and I really love Arch and I couldn't really live with Ubuntu as a replacement for Arch just to get Unity because I love it so much... smile But because of your awesome work I can have Unity and stick with Arch at the same time smile !! Thanks

Awesome! I added notify-osd to dependencies for unity-tweak-tool.

I'm really glad you enjoy using Unity on Arch! Those are exactly the reasons why I created the project smile

#1818 2013-03-29 19:03:10

gadelat

chenxiaolong wrote:

Works here. Did you check the "Enable workspaces" box in the settings? http://i.imgur.com/15p8CZs.png

Yup, i did. It's  on http://i.imm.io/11cQ5.png
In keyboard settings it's on too http://i.imm.io/11cQr.png

So, it's probably not problem of unity since it does not work in gnome shell either.

edit: I found what is causing problem - it's qxkb! If shortcut is part of Setxkbmap shortcut, setxkbmap it prevents to run :-/

Last edited by gadelat (2013-03-29 19:34:23)

#1819 2013-03-29 19:27:23

gadelat

This is probably not problem fully on side of unity-for-arch, but i just want to let you know that alt-tabbing freezes whole desktop when sdl-nokeyboardgrab is used.

#1820 2013-03-29 19:49:38

chenxiaolong

gadelat wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Yup, i did. It's  on http://i.imm.io/11cQ5.png
In keyboard settings it's on too http://i.imm.io/11cQr.png

So, it's probably not problem of unity since it does not work in gnome shell either.

edit: I found what is causing problem - it's qxkb! If shortcut is part of Setxkbmap shortcut, setxkbmap it prevents to run :-/

I would have never figured that out. My keyboard layout is the default US one, so that's not something I have to deal with tongue

#1821 2013-03-29 19:51:04

chenxiaolong

gadelat wrote:

This is probably not problem fully on side of unity-for-arch, but i just want to let you know that alt-tabbing freezes whole desktop when sdl-nokeyboardgrab is used.

Thanks for the info! Does https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61179 have the same problem? The maintainer of the sdl-nokeyboardgrab package orphaned it in favor of libx11-ldpreloadnograb (which he/she also packages).

#1822 2013-03-29 20:18:24

gadelat

If libx11-ldpreloadnograb is used for whole X11 (by putting export LD_PRELOAD=libX11-nokey.so in .xprofile), it freezes while alt+tabbing too.

Last edited by gadelat (2013-03-29 20:18:45)

#1823 2013-03-29 20:49:00

oi_wtf

building indicator-datetime fails for me: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5659364/
and, yes, i did 'rm -r src pkg'

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1824 2013-03-29 21:24:18

silenc3r

oi_wtf wrote:

building indicator-datetime fails for me: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5659364/
and, yes, i did 'rm -r src pkg'

confirmed,
same with indicator-power. For some reason it builds fine now. I must have installed something...

Also I got 2 other problems:
- Launcher auto-hide feature doesn't work - launcher no longer shows after it's hidden
- Firefox starts with no graphic mode if started from Launcher (it starts firefox process though), works fine when started from Dash.

Edit:
Another one: 'Empty Trash' popup widow doesn't show when you have nautlius open, you have to click on nautilus icon to see it. I don't know whether it's a bug or nautilus just works that way, but it's a little inconvienient.

Last edited by silenc3r (2013-03-29 22:15:32)

#1825 2013-03-30 00:11:20

chenxiaolong

Yeah, I forgot to update the patches for indicator datetime. My VM isn't exactly in a usable condition right now (due to incomplete gnome-unstable repo), so it may take me a little bit to fix the package.

Board footer