You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-18 20:42:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

KPPP, PPPD, DHCP

I think I'm going to love Arch Linux. It fills the little niche between LFS (Too time-consuming) and Debian (Too picky); perfect! smile

However, I'm a little frustrated by the lack of documented support for ppp. Actually, let me rephrase that. I'm extremele frustrated by my rural setting's lack of support for anything but dialup. :-D

From a base install, I ran pacman --sync kde-network, and this installed X and KDE for me, no problems, beautiful!  I configured kppp to connect to the internet by symlinking /dev/modem to /dev/cua4 (I haven't configured devfs to do this automatically, but I think I can... I think I can...)

So Kppp is connecting to my ISP all right now. The problem is that it isn't resolving any names. Er... I (foolishly) didn't think to try connecting directly to an IP. I'll get back to you on that after I boot back into Arch, but I don't think that will work either. I checked the log, and it seems that my local and remote IP addresses are being assigned improperly; see:

Jan 18 13:24:25 buchuki pppd[210]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Jan 18 13:24:25 buchuki pppd[210]: Using interface ppp0
Jan 18 13:24:25 buchuki pppd[210]: local  IP address 10.64.64.64
Jan 18 13:24:25 buchuki pppd[210]: remote IP address 10.112.112.112
Jan 18 13:24:59 buchuki pppd[210]: Terminating on signal 15.
Jan 18 13:24:59 buchuki pppd[210]: Exit.

Those IPs are nothing like the ones my ISP usually assigns me! smile

I'm assuming DHCP is misconfigured, but I don't have any idea what might need to be changed.  I've tried comparing to relevant files in my Knoppix configuration, but don't know what to look for.

For PPP, I don't think I need anything in the rc.conf, as far as interfaces or routes go (besides loopback), right? This is configured by pppd automatically?

I browsed the man page for pppd, and found that the ip-up and ip-down scripts are usually run from /etc/ppp mhen a connection is made. However, neither of these scripts was installed after I ran pacman --sync ppp. Further, pacman -So ip-up is returning nothing. Are thes scripts missing, or are they somewhere else other than /etc/ppp, or are they unnecessary with kppp or...?

I saw a reference to a ppp/arch guide in a forum search, but can't find a link to it... am I missing a documentation section on this site?

Thanks,

Dusty

#2 2004-01-18 21:12:08

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: KPPP, PPPD, DHCP

Ah, I found it. I had to comment out the "demand" option in /etc/ppp/options.

I'm in arch and pacman just freshened its package list in a miniscule fraction of the time that apt-get used to take.

Is there anything I can do for Arch Linux? I'm a Java developer, doubt you have much need for that, but I can write documentation...

Let me get my system set up *exactly the way I want it* first. excellent work guys. smile

Dusty

Board footer