You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-27 16:40:12

Agnelo de la Crotche

Re: [solved] /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules ignored

alphaniner wrote:

The issue with ethX renaming has been around for years*. You just weren't hit by it. I wasn't either until a few months before 'predictable naming'.

*I remember the Ubuntu wiki recommending against renaming in the eth namespace back in '10, '11 at the latest.

Yes but Ubuntu actually writes (wrote?*)  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules for you, right after the installation. So does openSUSE. If you don't pay attention and if you don't know it - as many users don't - a new rule based on the MAC address will be added every time you change the network interface and the eth* name will be incremented. If you keep replacing the nic, you might pretty well end up with eth267 at some point. :-D

Arch never created an udev rule for nics if I recall correctly.

* as in releases 10, 11, 12

#27 2013-03-27 16:44:47

alphaniner

I didn't get the impression that was the rationale, but I suppose it could have been.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#28 2013-03-27 17:45:57

Agnelo de la Crotche

alphaniner wrote:

I didn't get the impression that was the rationale, but I suppose it could have been.

In such a way, yes. It made the names permanent in the order the nics were discovered first and therefore "predictable". If the order didn't match the one I was expecting, I just had to edit the rules right after the installation (and before assigning the static ips). It did work that way for years and still does on the Ubuntu, Mandriva  and openSUSE machines here, but not Fedora - and Arch since yesterday, until I changed eth* into net* in the udev rule, which was not a big deal after all.

Board footer