You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-01 18:17:37

rabcor
Banned

alsa and e17 not playing nice?

See how i solved the problem at the bottom of this post
I would've sent this as a detailed bug report to the e17 development team but since they don't exactly make it easy to report bugs to them, i just had to post it somewhere when i found out that the e-mail address that their site said was for sending bug reports to pretty  much just rejected me. I think its in my best interest to just give up on e17, No matter how pretty it looks, if it hates my sound...

I'm running a rather fresh install of the latest 64 bit version of arch-linux (kernel 3.8.4.1)  I installed e17 from the official arch linux repositories just today.
Everything was working pretty fine. Then i decided to configure my alsa, after messing around with that a bit (making alsa.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ and .asoundrc on user's account) i got this error everytime i try to launch enlightenment 17

i have a hp pavilion dv7-6109eo with switchable graphics, and i'm using the xorg drivers for the graphics, with switchable turned off with vgaswitcharoo. turning it on has no effec on this error.

right after loading up randr and then xinerama.  it  turns into this

INF<e>e_xinerama.c:184 E17 INIT: XINERAMA CHOSEN: [0] [0], 1600X900+0+0
@@@ SCREENS: 0 0 | 0 0 1600x900
@@@ FOUND ZONE 0 0 [0x199bff0]
CRI<e>e_gadcon.c:607 DANGLING GADCON CLIENT 0x25818d0! THIS IS A BUG!!!
*** Error in '/usr/bin/enlightenement': corrupted double-linked list: 0x0000000002574620 ***

I decided to undo all the things i had done so far with my alsa configurations to see what'd happen.

I first commented out everything i had written in

etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

This time my error changed a bit

@@@ FOUND ZONE 0 0 [0xd22170]
CRI<e>e_gadcon.c:607 DANGLING GADCON CLIENT 0x190bfe0! THIS IS A BUG!!!
*** Error in '/usr/bin/enlightenement': malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00000000018cf55f ***

Just to make sure i tried launching again and got the same error.

I uncommented my what i had commented out before this (alsa.conf). and this time commented out everything i had written in the user's homedir /home/user/.asoundrc
file.

I got the malloc error again.

I tried moving both files. now my computer should in theory be the same as when it was working.

But malloc() error again.

I put everything back the way it was before i started troubleshooting.

And it's sticking with memory corruption.

I tried powering it down for a minute but it changed nothing.

I deleted .cache/efreet/ and it took me back to point one, corrupteded double-linked list.

I tried restarting and removing both the alsa.conf and .asoundrc files, this time enlightenment said

"Enlightenment Error"
This is very bad. Enlightenment SEGV'd.
Please compile latest svn E17 and EFL with -g and -ggdb3 in your CFLAGS.

-F1 Recover- -F12 Logout-

pressed F1. i'm back in.

I moved alsa.conf back to where it belongs (and rebooted ofc, i've been doing that).

it works.

Put .asoundrc back where it belongs, logout, xinit.

malloc(): memory corruption error.

cleared .cache/efreet/

malloc(): memory corruption.

Other programs i recently installed were alsa-plugins, p7zip, qt4, flashplugin, wxgtk, iptables, ufw, (and blocked incoming connections)
also yaourt and package-query  (from AUR)

This far back i know everything was still working. So if any programs or dependancies caused this, it was among those.

What's written in those files of mine is

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

options snd slots=snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_usb_audio index=1

/home/user/.asoundrc

defaults.pcm.card 2
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 2

I'm not gonna give up just yet, i want to try placing the .asoundrc systemwide.

Deleted .asoundrc and enlightenment wont boot. Corrupted double-linked list error.
deleted .cache/efreet/ got the recovery message up.

saved contents of .asoundrc to /etc/asound.conf

And e17 is still hating my alsa. (i did manage to get one successful login however, but after that i rebooted and i got malloc error, then deleting efreet gave me corrupteded double-linked list again)

Edit (Solution):
I found a hotfix.
replacing

defaults.ctl.card 2

with

ctl.!default {
	type hw           
	card 2
}

adding to the first post.

Last edited by rabcor (2013-04-02 17:09:20)

#2 2013-04-01 18:21:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: alsa and e17 not playing nice?

rabcor, please make use of BBCode code tags in the relevant sections to make your post more readable.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2013-04-01 18:31:06

Scimmia
Fellow

The current bug list is in Phabricator: https://phab.enlightenment.org/ . The old Trac bug tracker was always problematic, so they're transitioning away from it.

The mailing list will reject your emails if you're not subscribed.

#4 2013-04-02 06:05:19

rabcor
Banned

done.added the codetags. the reason i didn't in the first place was because i simply didn't know if this site even supported codetags. (and i'm too lazy to click on external links just to see if the forum i'm in supports a tag)

chrome marks the link you sent me as unsafe.

I tried to subscribe to the mailing list but it still wouldn't let me send, if anyone wants to they can copy what i wrote here or just link someone who is developing e17 to this forum post that'd all be good. (Would mean i didn't write it for nothing)

But i think i'm gonna give up on e17 for now, what do you guys recommend? i want something fast and reliable but it still needs to be a bit shiny.

Or you could recommend me a different way to set my default sound card?

Last edited by rabcor (2013-04-02 06:08:41)

#5 2013-04-02 08:11:53

brebs

rabcor wrote:

defaults.pcm.card 2
defaults.ctl.card 2

The numbering starts from 0, C-style. So your "card 2" is a non-existent third card? You probably want "card 1" instead.

#6 2013-04-02 08:34:39

rabcor
Banned

nope, i have a nonexistant first card (card0)
i have a logitech usb headset which i use for its mic (card1) i don't know how to set it as a default input device however. do you?
I have my actual soundcard as a third card (card2)

I tried a few different combinations but this  configuration was the first one that worked for making my 3rd card as a default.

I workaround this problem by removing the configuration, launching e17 and placing the config back where it belongs. The problem is however that if i do this enlightenment's mixer uses the original default settings, where the default card is spdif or something like that which doesn't even have any channels.

So basically this way i can use everything except for my media buttons for increasing/reducing volume with the mixer since it apparently only mutes the default channel i think.

Last edited by rabcor (2013-04-02 09:08:01)

#7 2013-04-02 09:06:58

brebs

rabcor wrote:

nope, i have a nonexistant first card (card0)

It's best if you show some diagnostics:

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
bash alsa-info.sh --upload

Then show us the URL that the script shows at the end.

set it as a default input device

Google the ALSA FAQs - there's a few ways IIRC. I favour the power of ~/.asoundrc, e.g. the "capture.pcm" line in the sample config in my sig.

#8 2013-04-02 10:07:59

rabcor
Banned

Here are the diagnostics you asked for.

Thanks.

#9 2013-04-02 11:13:57

brebs

Perhaps the unwanted card can be ignored completely via the probe_mask option to the snd-hda-intel module.

E.g. I use:

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

to disable the "soundcards" in my laptop's built-in modem, and the HDMI output of the Nvidia graphics card.

It's voodoo, so good luck with the googling and experimentation wink

Udev's ignore_device option was removed, so can't use that sad

#10 2013-04-02 14:50:50

rabcor
Banned

options snd_hda_intel probe_mask=1

did nothing for me sad

#11 2013-04-02 16:58:52

rabcor
Banned

I found out precisely which line is causing the problem.

defaults.ctl.card 2

I commented it out and e17 works again. only my sound isn't working properly in it since i need that line.

Is there another method for that line i could try?

as an alternative available for me it'd be pretty perfect if i could just reverse the order in which it loads my sound devices.

edit:
I found a hotfix.
replacing

defaults.ctl.card 2

with

ctl.!default {
	type hw           
	card 2
}

adding to the first post.

Last edited by rabcor (2013-04-02 17:07:47)

Board footer