You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-03 15:49:53

adamn

Lenovo S206 Proprietary Wireless Driver Unavailable

Hello!
I'd like to use a proprietary wireless driver when installing Arch, but I don't have internet access, so I can't fetch it from the AUR.
I've successfully installed Mint by installing everything with no internet access, and then installing the proprietary drivers after boot (just copied over the deb file via USB).

Can I do a similar thing to get Arch installed? How would I go about this?

#2 2013-04-03 16:28:33

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Lenovo S206 Proprietary Wireless Driver Unavailable

adamn wrote:

Hello!
I'd like to use a proprietary wireless driver when installing Arch, but I don't have internet access, so I can't fetch it from the AUR.
I've successfully installed Mint by installing everything with no internet access, and then installing the proprietary drivers after boot (just copied over the deb file via USB).

Can I do a similar thing to get Arch installed? How would I go about this?

First of Mint is not Arch, so there are bound to be differences. Why do you want to use the proprietary drivers when "installing" Arch when you didn't do the same in Mint?

you can install Arch and then change to the proprietary drivers after the fact just like you did in Mint. Am I missing something here? Oh and your deb file won't work in Arch. You will have to either -- use the Aur package or manually install by converting the deb.

The core problem is that you don't have internet access, try to fix that rather than delving into how you can change to the proprietary drivers. Try to build the package on a machine with internet access and then use pacman -U to install it.

did you mean you have no internet access from the Arch Live USB/CD or did you mean that you wanted to perform an offline install ???

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2013-04-03 16:37:59

bananagranola
Website

Do you mean an offline installation?
EDIT: never mind, got beat to it.

Last edited by bananagranola (2013-04-03 16:40:12)

#4 2013-04-03 17:01:48

adamn

Inxsible wrote:

Try to build the package on a machine with internet access and then use pacman -U to install it.

Aha! I'll try that!

#5 2013-04-10 11:39:34

bleh

adamn wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Try to build the package on a machine with internet access and then use pacman -U to install it.

Aha! I'll try that!

I have the same model and got things up and running this way, hope you were successful. I have also had to rebuild/install the broadcom-wl package following kernel upgrades.
I'm going to do a full write up on installing and running Arch on this machine at some point but let me know if you encounter any issues.

Board footer