You are not logged in.

#176 2013-02-28 22:43:45

skanky

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Trilby wrote:

Thanks for the netsurf suggestion - I just got time to start looking at it, and it looks very promising.  Now all I need to find is some free time! wink

I don't really know C (like to learn) but if there's anything I can help with, let me know.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#177 2013-03-05 06:32:08

eruditorum

Hyugga wrote:

Real hardware drivers and support...

FreeBSD has even less drivers and support, man.

#178 2013-03-05 15:16:08

Nimphina

eruditorum wrote:
Hyugga wrote:

And no package manager either.

Lives, lived, will live.
Dies, died, will die.

#179 2013-03-05 17:37:20

drcouzelis
Website

Nimphina wrote:
eruditorum wrote:

Uh oh. I think you'd better explain what you mean by that pretty quickly before an angry mob of people start chucking FreeBSD installation discs at you.

I can think of three package managers for FreeBSD, two official and one deprecated.

#180 2013-03-07 01:57:29

nomorewindows

Nimphina wrote:
eruditorum wrote:
Hyugga wrote:

It's a tool called pkg_add pkg_del pkg_info, and with syntax to drive you crazy.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#181 2013-03-11 12:06:36

Ultraman

nomorewindows wrote:
Nimphina wrote:

It's a tool called pkg_add pkg_del pkg_info, and with syntax to drive you crazy.

The pkg_ utilities indeed exist and they do work just fine. Personally I dont really like them either, but they can get the job done.

However there are other good package managers out there. "portmaster" is an excellent one and has never let me down. Syntax is easy to understand.
And there is the new up and coming "pkgng" which I believe will be the official package manager when FreeBSD 10 is released. But it is usable already, just not declared stable and ready yet.

Until pkgng is official yet, I feel it's better to use the FreeBSD Ports system. It had never let me down and I have performed most upgrades of packages with it using portmaster.
Only difference is, you are compiling from source.

Last edited by Ultraman (2013-03-11 12:07:53)

#182 2013-03-14 10:15:16

lmello

Integration. There are a gazillion of distributions out there and I personally think it would be better for people to contribute to improve the distros instead of when finding something they don't like or a missing feature just fork the original project, and then continue forking over and over again. Likewise, it would be really nice if every rpm package would work on any rpm-based distro, any deb package work on any deb-based distro and so on.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#183 2013-03-14 13:56:00

Awebb

forked from lmello wrote:

Integration. There are a gazillion of distributions out there and I personally think it would be better for people to contribute to improve the distros instead of when finding something they don't like or a missing feature just fork the original project, and then continue forking over and over again. Likewise, it would be really nice if every rpm package would work on any distro.

I forked your post to add a patch. I hope you don't mind.

#184 2013-03-14 14:25:06

anonymous_user

lmello wrote:

I personally think it would be better for people to contribute to improve the distros instead of when finding something they don't like or a missing feature just fork the original project, and then continue forking over and over again.

I think in many cases people already do that and only create forks when upstream rejects their patch or when they want to be significantly different than upstream.

lmello wrote:

Likewise, it would be really nice if every rpm package would work on any rpm-based distro, any deb package work on any deb-based distro and so on.

I don't think this can happen due to dependencies. Two distros may use the same package type but their repos can be way different.

#185 2013-03-14 14:50:11

Lone_Wolf

Consistent package naming following upstream naming between distros would be nice.

Example :
search for mesa packages on arch, debian , fedora and opensuse .
that's 4 different naming methods !

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#186 2013-03-21 05:40:39

lmello

anonymous_user wrote:
lmello wrote:

Likewise, it would be really nice if every rpm package would work on any rpm-based distro, any deb package work on any deb-based distro and so on.

I don't think this can happen due to dependencies. Two distros may use the same package type but their repos can be way different.

There are examples like Salix packages being fully compatible with good ol' Slackware, and Ubuntu packages that simply don't work on Debian. I used Ubuntu and then Debian a long, long time ago so I don't know how things are now...

Regarding forks, I think it's useful when individual projects are forked so there's more choice in the end. MATE for example was made for those who didn't like GNOME 3, I really like this project. But regarding distributions... so many of them work against new linux users because this fact actually confuse people in the first place - 'which distro to use?' is by far the most asked question by newbies, and to answer this question is a very complicated matter.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#187 2013-04-03 19:14:14

AlecB

One word. Photoshop.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis

#188 2013-04-03 19:56:47

White girl

Adobe suite and GPU driver.

#189 2013-04-04 02:23:43

cfr

Target disk mode.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#190 2013-04-04 08:37:18

Awebb

cfr wrote:

Target disk mode.

Most systems I owned so far did not even have a firewire port and I have never had a cable like "USB-A male (2x)", although I think this might be possible to implement using UEFI and a minimal Linux.

On the other hand: Would I really want a feature, that allows everybody with a laptop to access the data on my system, even if no user is logged in and without the need to open the case, carry extra equipment and take some time (and leave traces)?

Has anybody tried to connect two computers via the SATA port yet? It would be faster than network or USB and all we need might be a driver. Just mount the other computer and push data over the cable, the other end would then move the data to a pre-defined drive and folder.

#191 2013-04-04 23:27:30

cfr

It is possible to secure the system so that it will not start in target disk mode. So you'd have to go into Open Firmware (or whatever they use now), give the password and alter the settings to allow it. There are independent reasons to do this in any case such as the fact that anybody who knows how can start your machine in single-user mode which gets you root access without a password. I stopped using an OF password because there was a bug which could prevent you authenticating and I was more scared of creating a brick than I was of having my data stolen, but I am assuming this was only temporary - especially because I think OF was a PPC thing and must have been replaced by now.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#192 2013-04-04 23:39:31

anonymous_user

cfr wrote:

especially because I think OF was a PPC thing and must have been replaced by now.

Correct. Since moving to Intel processors, Apple computers now rely on UEFI.

#193 2013-04-05 00:51:23

WonderWoofy

You now are able to configure those things from userspace.  The OSX install disc used to have this functionality, but with the move to no media installs and whatnot, I am not sure where they put those utilities now.

#194 2013-04-05 03:23:06

hadrons123

something that you feel linux is missing

>Backwards compatibility beocoz of the API/ABI change. The VlC 2.0.5 will not work with older libs from 2 years ago.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2013-04-05 03:23:33)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#195 2013-04-05 20:07:26

3])

the absence of something

to be for real:
-better wifi drivers(not the fault of linux though)
-better support for webcam(not the fault of linux though)

used to say games but now we have steam so that's resolved. :-)

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

#196 2013-04-06 01:01:59

hadrons123

steam games are still not upto speed of the windows counterparts. But good thing is its working.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#197 2013-04-06 07:03:02

illusionist

For me its proper bluetooth functionality. Sometimes my bluetooth headset works, sometimes not. Maybe we need a better bluetooth implementation.

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#198 2013-04-06 12:44:44

blackout23

hadrons123 wrote:

steam games are still not upto speed of the windows counterparts. But good thing is its working.

At least with NVIDIA they are. Tested TF2, CSS and Serious Sam 3 only though. Benchmarks also give exactly the same results.

http://i.imgur.com/9CAsHmM.png

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-04-06 12:47:44)

#199 2013-04-06 20:00:36

skanky

illusionist wrote:

For me its proper bluetooth functionality. Sometimes my bluetooth headset works, sometimes not. Maybe we need a better bluetooth implementation.

For me, that's how bluetooth always was, whatever the OS, device, etc. I stopped using it though, so I guess it may have improved since then. neutral

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#200 2013-04-07 08:18:46

illusionist

@skanky
Actually all the cli tools/commands work as expected. It is the gui that lacks a bit. But I am happy that it just works. smile

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

Board footer