You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-14 11:38:57

teateawhy
Website

Instructions: How to downgrade samba 4 to samba 3

Hello,

on my server i recently upgraded samba 3 to 4 without preparing for it properly, and as a consequence the upgrade tool failed leaving the server in a non working state.
If you need to downgrade samba follow these instructions:
Stop all samba services with systemctl.
Remove the samba packages:
# pacman -Rnsc samba
Install the old samba packages:
# cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
# pacman -U samba-3.6.13-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz smbclient-3.6.13-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz libwbclient-3.6.13-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz cifs-utils-5.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
Remove remaining samba 4 data:
cd /var/lib/samba
mv account_policy.tdb browse.dat group_mapping.tdb registry.tdb share_info.tdb wins.dat wins.tdb ~/backup
(mv is not necessary, you can also use rm instead if you whish .)
reboot
Start all samba services with systemctl.
SOURCE:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=832732

I hope this helps.

#2 2013-04-15 00:25:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Instructions: How to downgrade samba 4 to samba 3

Help information is meant for the wiki.

However, since your post is basically summarized as "downgrade samba, move dbs out of the way", I don't think even that would be helpful. Downgrading is something most Arch users should know how to do, especially if they're running samba.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2013-04-15 04:21:22

WonderWoofy

You know, I upgraded my file server without thinking about this, and my samba didn't work afterwords.  But instead of reverting to old packages, I simply implemented to new /etc/samba/smb.conf.example.  I just backed up the old config, and copied the new example to the smb.conf spot, vimmed that sh*t a bit, and it works fine.  I don't use the active directory stuff or anything.

Honestly, a big software upgrade like this is something that should be easily handled by users around here.  This should especially be true if the change simply requires one to do something as simple as redo a configuration file.

#4 2013-04-15 08:55:35

teateawhy
Website

You are right, every archer should know how to downgrade  and update config files. The location of the samba db files is not widely known though. The reason i had to downgrade was that the samba classic upgrade tool ruined my samba installation. Next time will simply update the config file as WonderWoofy suggested. It seems the classic upgrade tool only works under certain preconditions.

#5 2013-04-15 14:16:49

firecat53
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

Honestly, a big software upgrade like this is something that should be easily handled by users around here.  This should especially be true if the change simply requires one to do something as simple as redo a configuration file.

I agree...but the link in the post_install notice is to some big complex migration guide where they only talk about the Active Directory migration tool. Having setup samba shares for home use several years ago and then not touching it again, it was not at all clear to me how to proceed. After fighting with it for an hour and finally just deleting all my users and re-adding them it worked...but I doubt that was the easy or best way! I'm still not sure what way would have worked easily the first time...otherwise I'd go update the wiki!

Perhaps it could have been:
1. Run testparm
2. Fix errors in testparm output
3. Goto 1 until no errors
4. Restart samba

But I'm not really sure smile

Scott

Board footer