You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-13 23:55:08

Schornery

Audio output automatically resets to HDMI

Hello,

Whenever I login, my default audio port is set to "Barts HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 series]".  Since I use analog speakers and/or headphone jacks and never the sound from HDMI, I must reset the master channel to "Built-in Audio" using either kmix or KDE's system settings app.  Doing so will return my audio, but I must do this every time I log in.

I remember having a specific "Intel PCH <???>" sound card that was in my system settings a long time ago but it isn't here now, and I don't know when it stopped being there.  Could this be why my master channel is being reset to the HDMI card, because I don't have any other recognized sound card?

The most major change I made to my system before this was installing Vi0l0's catalyst driver and using the catalyst-hook package.  However, I did not have this problem immediately after installing the driver. 

The only immediate change before the issue occurred was: I had unplugged my speakers from the back port while the computer was on. Turned the computer off then on and then plugged the speaker back in after logging in.  I do not believe that that would have affected my system in any way.

I mostly need help in understanding where to look for a solution or the root of the problem.  I'm sorry If I haven't given enough info but I don't really know what info to give.

Asus P8H67-V mobo Radeon HD 6850 graphics card

#2 2013-04-14 10:22:03

arobson73

Re: Audio output automatically resets to HDMI

have you tried that system settings->multimedia in KDE. click on music under the Audio Play back, then choose your sound card to be at the top of the list.
does this help ?
it worth installing alsa-utils, then run that alsamixer and see what is going on there.
http://alsa.opensrc.org/DigitalOut

also this guys post describes a good way to get your settigns
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125526

Last edited by arobson73 (2013-04-14 10:40:04)

#3 2013-04-15 01:53:43

ooo

you can disable hdmi audio with radeon driver completely by adding radeon.audio=0 kernel boot parameter, but I'm not sure how that works if you're using catalyst.

Have you checked if you could disable hdmi audio from catalyst control center?

#4 2013-04-16 03:13:58

Schornery

I have gone to systemsettings->multimedia->music
the only sound cards available are built-in Audio Analog Stereo and Barts HDMI Audio
I also get a removed sound devices warning saying that
Output: HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog (Default Audio Device)
was removed.  But this can't be because that is built into my mobo.  Maybe the catalyst package  or maybe downgrading to X1113 might have nullified the driver for the sound card?  I also didn't get this error message before I posted the original this topic; it is a new development.
While in the multimedia settings, if I go to Audio Hardware Setup and select built-in Audio over HDMI, then kmix will control the built-in properly.  But if I leave multimedia and go back to main system settings page and go back to that window it has reset to HDMI even if kmix hasn't.

pacman -Qs alsa

local/alsa-firmware 1.0.27-1
    ALSA firmware package
local/alsa-lib 1.0.27-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/alsa-oss 1.0.25-1
    OSS compatibility library
local/alsa-plugins 1.0.27-1
    Extra alsa plugins
local/alsa-utils 1.0.27-3
local/lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.26-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support (32 bit)
local/pulseaudio-alsa 2-2
    ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

pacman -Qs pulseaudio
because I have heard it can cause problems

local/pulseaudio 3.0-3
    A featureful, general-purpose sound server
local/pulseaudio-alsa 2-2
    ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

amixer

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right                                                          
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536                                                                           
  Mono:                                                                                                
  Front Left: Playback 33049 [50%] [on]                                                                
  Front Right: Playback 33049 [50%] [on]                                                               
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0                                                                       
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined                                                         
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right                                                           
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536                                                                            
  Front Left: Capture 35414 [54%] [on]                                                                 
  Front Right: Capture 35414 [54%] [on] 

Also I can not control audio from CCC

Last edited by Schornery (2013-04-16 03:14:47)

#5 2013-04-16 10:55:47

arobson73

have you tried grepping your file system for hdmi or grepping the name of the card ?
maybe some file somewhere, the hdmi card is set before other cards. remember any changes you make might need reboot.
grep -r "hdmi" /etc
or that /proc directory

#6 2013-04-17 23:41:38

Schornery

sudo grep -r "HDMI" /etc
Binary file /etc/udev/hwdb.bin matches

That file is just a wall of text with no line breaks

Wireless Adapter [Ralink RT2870]EW-7718UN 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Ralink RT2870]EW-7722UTn 802.11n 
Wireless Adapter [Ralink RT307x]EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]086AnyPoint (TM) 
Home Network 1.6 Mbps Wireless AdapterCPU DRAM ControllerHD GraphicsPersonal Audio Player 3000Easy PC 
CameraPC Camera CS120WiMAX Connection 2400mAnyPoint(TM) Wireless II Network 11Mbps Adapter [Atmel 
AT76C503A]Intel Pro Video PC CameraDigital Movie CreatorPocket PC CameraCS780 Microphone InputCherry 
MiniatureCard KeyboardAnyPoint(TM) Home Network 10 Mbps Phoneline AdapterBluetooth Controller from 
(Ericsson P4A)Bluetooth Controller from (Intel/CSR)PRO/Wireless

The proc folder seems to be more promising but now I am completely out of my depth as to what is going on here

sudo grep -r "HDMI" /proc
/proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: ATI R6xx HDMI
/proc/asound/card1/codec#0:  Control: name="HDMI/DP,pcm=3 Jack", index=0, device=0
/proc/asound/card1/codec#0:  Pincap 0x00000094: OUT Detect HDMI
/proc/asound/card1/codec#0:  Pin Default 0x18560010: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
/proc/asound/card1/pcm3p/sub0/info:id: HDMI 0
/proc/asound/card1/pcm3p/sub0/info:name: HDMI 0
/proc/asound/card1/pcm3p/info:id: HDMI 0
/proc/asound/card1/pcm3p/info:name: HDMI 0
/proc/asound/pcm:01-03: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
grep: /proc/sysrq-trigger: Input/output error
/proc/kmsg:<6>[    3.793534] input: HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1/input22

grepping "Barts" or  "6800" gives only "grep: /proc/sysrq-trigger: Input/output error"

#7 2013-04-18 12:52:53

arobson73

what do you get when you do
cat /proc/asound/cards

im hoping there are two indexes (with hdmi=0), and then you could change that precdence.

not easy to fix these things remotely, need to supply as much info as possible.

#8 2013-04-18 15:56:46

Schornery

I would love to give more info but I don't really know what info is relevant
/proc/asound/cards

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xfe700000 irq 53
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xfe640000 irq 54

That's interesting because kde is not picking up that those exist.  It is only labeling them as built-in audio.
I reset everything to default in systemsettings>multimedia audio playback.  In KDE this is Barts HDMI and then built-in audio
When I run XMonad and open systemsettings from there, the default is 8 blank entries and then Default and "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"  I don't know if this discrepancy is something or jsut a red herring.
My Phonon backend is VLC if that matters.

I will try a brute force method and uninstall pulseaudio and any extraneous sound packages and go from there.

#9 2013-04-18 20:16:09

Schornery

Well uninstalling everything worked.  I don't know which did it. I would assume the pulseaudio.  KDE also asked me if it should forget the pulseaudio drivers and I said yes.

My current state:

$ pacman -Qs alsa
local/alsa-lib 1.0.27-1
local/alsa-plugins 1.0.27-1
    Extra alsa plugins
local/alsa-utils 1.0.27-4
local/lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.27-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support (32 bit)

pacman -Qs pulseaudio is nil

kmix >> select master channel
Current Mixer yields:
        {HDA Intel PCH, HD Audio Generic, Playback Streams}
HDA Intel PCH yields these channels:
       {Master, Headphone, PCM, Front, Front Mic, Front Mic Boost, Surround, Center, LFE, Side, Line, Rear Mic, Rear Mic Boost}  (The Mobo I am using supports 8 channel sound)
Other Mixers have no channels

systemsettings >> Multimedia > Device Preference(audio playback) yields a long list of devices,
          PulseAudio Sound Server and oss are on this list but neither are listed in pacman

Should I mark it Fixed?

#10 2013-04-18 23:37:32

arobson73

i was going to say
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … figuration
there is section on how to Set the default sound card
its quite detailed in the troubleshooting. i've heard a few complaints about pulse audio.
its all quite brittle, i just installed skype on laptop and now my analog mic recording stopped working !

Board footer